Taking Southampton North!

• Thread starter Thread starter PatrickLFC
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 2K
  • Views Views 616K
Woooo! Great job, congrats on winning the league! Knew you would pull it back :P

Didn't realise how long it had been since I read this but, really good job winning the league even if it was a tad less dramatic that you could have hoped for. Onto europe

Didn't realise how long it had been since I read this but, really good job winning the league even if it was a tad less dramatic that you could have hoped for. Onto europe

Yeah, I was planning a big final day post with simultaneous matches, but nope, Chelsea had to go and choke :/ Europe should be a great challenge, I'm looking forward to it!

Attaboy ^^
Congratultations for claiming the Premiership, it's nice to see that all that hard work finally paid off and the Saints could finally get a more than deserved major piece of silverware.

By the way, don't forget to check Stoke and Aston Villa's squads, as Stoke sure has quite a few quality players and Villa has one of the best academies in the whole Premier (shame they don't know how to use it properly though...).

Did you ever get to tutor someone to a Model Citizen? I only managed to get this on Harrison Reed, but hopefully he'll pass it onto more.
Have several "Professional" youth players now.

Congratulations with the BPL title! Looking forward what you can do in Europe next season with some extra prize money ;)

Attaboy ^^
Congratultations for claiming the Premiership, it's nice to see that all that hard work finally paid off and the Saints could finally get a more than deserved major piece of silverware.

By the way, don't forget to check Stoke and Aston Villa's squads, as Stoke sure has quite a few quality players and Villa has one of the best academies in the whole Premier (shame they don't know how to use it properly though...).

Thanks mate, it's definitely satisfying to land the PL at last. Definitely having a look at their squads, Villa also have a couple of really good players who they bought with their tycoon money, though the best pair - El Ghazi and Denis Suarez - only joined in the middle of this season

Did you ever get to tutor someone to a Model Citizen? I only managed to get this on Harrison Reed, but hopefully he'll pass it onto more.
Have several "Professional" youth players now.

Sadly not, very impressive that you did though, nice work! Most of mine seem to be Professional, some Resolute, a couple Driven, which are all good :)

Congratulations with the BPL title! Looking forward what you can do in Europe next season with some extra prize money ;)

Thanks mate :) If we make a big signing then the chances are it will be a left wing, defensive CM or maybe a striker.

Nicely done mate, congrats! On to the next prize!

Cheers mate, onwards and upwards!

Your story is amazing. Confrats on the league win, on to bigger thongs from here!

I'm looking forward to reading more.

Well done on winning the league my friend ! A historical achievement for the Saints !!!

View attachment 170585

Squad Overview

​Part One

Goalkeepers:

View attachment 170583

Bartlomiej Dragowski

Dragowski is our undisputed first choice keeper, and one of the stars of the team. Since joining in January 2016 he’s gone from strength to strength, and the crazy thing is, he can improve further still. His insane Reflexes and Positioning are his best attributes. When I bought him, ahead of Predrag Rajkovic, I did so because I figured every man and his dog would be picking up Rulli on a free at the season’s end, and I wanted to be different. I haven’t regretted it for a second, as Dragowski has turned into an elite keeper, and what’s more, is now Home Grown at the club.

Evaluation:
Long term number 1

View attachment 170581

Fraser Forster

Forster has proven himself a capable deputy since returning from injury towards the end of my first season. He performs when called upon, is an excellent tutor, and whilst he occasionally comes with a concern about first team football, he never causes a fuss.

Evaluation:
Backup/Tutor for the short term, unless I can’t convince him to keep warming the bench for us.

View attachment 170579

Daniel Burtic

After a great season on loan at Aberdeen, Romanian International Burtic has made some great progress and is at a similar level to Forster. He is a real talent, and I can see him challenging Dragowski in a couple of years. A couple of weaknesses, such as his Command Of Area attribute, will need to be addressed.

Evaluation:
Future second choice keeper, as he’s unlikely to surpass Dragowski. May stick around next season to battle Forster for Cup games and the like, and to work towards Home Grown status, or may go out on loan again.

View attachment 170578

Rene Perrottet

Another bright young talent in the youth sides. Future Swiss international, most likely. However, he is certainly behind Burtic in our pecking order, and a fairly average Reflexes attribute could cost him a long term future here, with Dragowski and Burtic around.

Evaluation:
Possible future backup, but more likely to be developed and sold for profit

View attachment 170577

Brice Arnaud

Almost a panic buy of sorts, I pinched him after Chelsea went in for him, despite him not being fully scouted. He’s got excellent potential but is well behind his competition in terms of current ability, and is unlikely to make an impact here.

Evaluation:
A sequence of loan moves to develop and sell

Last edited:
View attachment 170575

Squad Overview

Part Two

Defenders (Right)

View attachment 170574

Calum Chambers

After a season as a centre back, I shifted Chambers to right back following the sale of two-time Fans’ Player of the Year Luan. He started behind Cedric in the pecking order but won the starting berth ahead of the Portuguese with consistently outstanding performances, culminating in outshining even his predecessor Luan on the way to being named Fans’ Player of the Year in his own right. Young and Home Grown at the club.

Evaluation: A staple of the defence for years to come. First choice right back for the foreseeable future at least.

Has hardly put a foot wrong in my four years here, yet has been overshadowed, first by Luan and now Chambers. Still capable of challenging for the starting job.

Evaluation:
Probably a rotation option for the next year or two, although may be sold if a good offer is received.

View attachment 170572

Masao Nishimura

A talented Japanese International, he’s spent the last two seasons out on loan and has developed into a very well rounded defender. Still has some work to do on his crossing in particular. A slight concern is that his ratings at both Novara and Sociedad were pretty poor, and he may not quite be ready just yet.

Evaluation:
Possible loan move again. If Cedric is sold he will probably back up Chambers for the season. Potential to be an excellent player one day

View attachment 170571

Matty Richards

Youth intake player from Season 3. He has a high ceiling, which does fluctuate at times, and has a fair amount of development to do before he’s first team ready.

Evaluation:
Hopefully can become a squad option in a few years. Can play left back too, so could be handy one day.

Defenders (Left):

View attachment 170570

Ludwig Augustinsson

Has been brilliant since my controversial and racist (I love Sweden) decision to sign him despite the presence of Bertrand and Targett in the squad 3 years ago. Two consecutive Premier League Team of the Year elections confirm how good he has been for us.

Evaluation: Just edges Kurzawa for first choice left back, but absolutely no guarantee that will stay throughout the season. No need to replace him any time soon.

View attachment 170569

Layvin Kurzawa

Almost the complete left back, but his pace and acceleration let him down, which is why I tend to prefer Augustinsson - but only just. He’s a brilliant player, but on high wages so I’d consider selling for a premium price. Perfectly happy to have him stick around and challenge Augustinsson.

Evaluation:
Either sell for a high price, and replace with a faster option, ideally a good crosser of the ball and Home Grown, or stay and continue his battle with Augustinsson for the starting role. Luke Shaw was unhappy all of last season at United and I could have signed him, but I’ve stuck with Kurzawa.

View attachment 170568

Jorge Miguel

Not yet fully comfortable at left back, he nonetheless has some great attributes and looks to have more than the 3.5 star potential he is credited with.

Evaluation:
Possible first team player or backup in the future. Will spend at least the next year on loan or perhaps with the youth side.

Defenders (Centre):

View attachment 170567

Aymeric Laporte

The club record signing has gone a long way towards justifying his exorbitant transfer fee, as his partnership with Süle was crucial to our title success. Was named as a starting centre back in the Overall Best XI after just one season!

Evaluation:
Undisputed first choice

View attachment 170566

Niklas Süle

His formidable partnership with Laporte became even better as he matured towards the season’s end. Too many silly bookings early in the season had me concerned but his discipline improved markedly, and hopefully he continues down that path.

Evaluation:
Laporte’s first choice partner

View attachment 170565

Dusan Jurcik

All the attributes to become world class. Has established himself as my third choice centre back behind the aforementioned pair.

Evaluation:
Hopefully a future starter, though has some work to do to crack the first choice partnership.

View attachment 170564

Gary Cahill

An excellent tutor and backup. Performs well when needed and adds to the Home Grown quota.

Evaluation:
Backup for another year or two.

View attachment 170563

Dayot Upamecano

Was more or less first choice two years ago, but has fallen away significantly since the signings of Laporte and Süle, and struggled to get much game time last season. Still not aerially dominant enough for my liking, and may never be. Home Grown at the Club.

Evaluation:
Possible loan move this season as he needs more game time. Could have a long term future as a squad player, but is equally likely to end up being sold.

View attachment 170562

Jack Lovell

Second season youth intake player, and the best one to date. Has been developing quite nicely in the youth sides, with occasional first team minutes. Has just about all the attributes to become an elite centre back.

Evaluation:
Hopefully a future first team star. At worst, first team squad player. Likely to either go on loan for the season or be a backup option if Upamecano departs.

Last edited:
View attachment 170561

Squad Overview

Part Three

Central Midfielders:

View attachment 170560

James Ward-Prowse

Another of our star players, Ward-Prowse is equally comfortable on the right wing or behind the striker, but I tend to use him in central midfield. Home Grown at the club and an outstanding player.

Evaluation:
First choice CM for the foreseeable future. Will likely always have a role as a rotation option at worst.

View attachment 170559

Victor Wanyama

My most destructive and combative midfielder, he’s a physical beast but does pick up a few too many cards. Capable of spectacular goals but the woodwork seems to have it in for him. I don’t have anyone quite like him in the squad, so he’s unlikely to be sold.

Evaluation:
Slight possibility of a sale, but unlikely. Assuming he stays, then he's likely to be a fairly regular feature in the first team.

View attachment 170558

Jordy Clasie

A very well-rounded and versatile midfielder, capable of a defensive or playmaking role. The defensive central midfield is one area I might consider upgrading though, and if I did so, either Clasie or Wanyama may need to make way.

Evaluation:
Again a slight possibility of a sale, but only if an upgrade is available, and I would still need to choose between him and Wanyama. Otherwise, a first team presence in midfield.

View attachment 170557

Andrija Balic

Also able to play in attacking midfield, Balic has proven himself a solid rotation option over the last couple of seasons. Home Grown at the club now I believe. I can’t help but feel with his attributes he should contribute more in terms of goals and assists though.

Evaluation:
Likely to continue in a similar squad role to last season, though with the younger players pushing for first team minutes, will need to start producing more regularly.

View attachment 170556

Andres Iniesta

Brought in as a tutor and expected to be a first team option, he found himself consigned to the bench as his lack of speed and physicality saw me reluctant to risk him in a two man midfield.

Evaluation:
On very high wages for another two years, so as good a tutor as he is, I might try to move him on if possible. Otherwise, he will stay to tutor the youngsters

View attachment 170555

Patrick Muller

A very talented young midfielder, who could be a first team star in the future. Has all the attributes to be an excellent playmaker, and has developed nicely over the last two seasons. He is quite injury prone though, so will have to be carefully managed.

Evaluation:
Possible backup role this season as he continues to develop, but if I can’t see him getting enough game time then he may be loaned out.

View attachment 170554

Niclas Larsson

Despite not being fully accomplished in central midfield yet, I see a big future for Larsson here as a defensive minded CM. Future Sweden international, and the attributes to be an elite player.

Evaluation:
Still behind Clasie and Wanyama in the pecking order, and unlikely dislodge either yet, so will either spend another season in the youth sides and as a backup, or will go on loan

View attachment 170553

Innocent Matsemala

Performed pretty well on loan at Aberdeen last season, and has developed into an impressive looking technical playmaker. Already a regular for South Africa. Deserves a shot at breaking into the first team at some point.

Evaluation:
If Muller doesn’t go on loan then he might, but otherwise could spend the year attempting to break into the first team with some Cup appearances.

View attachment 170551

Squad Overview

Part Four

Attacking Midfielders and Wingers:

View attachment 170550

Marco Asensio

Another of the team’s biggest stars. Equally comfortable in central midfield, his best position is probably behind the striker but he is my first choice right wing due to the presence of Gitschier, who is less versatile. An outstanding talent who can win us matches single-handedly, and we are a poorer side without him.

Evaluation:
First choice right wing, probably for a long time

View attachment 170549

Moritz Gitschier

My first signing for the club. Signed to be this year’s Moritz Fritsch (German AMC regen I had with Saints on FM14, mentioned and posted a screenshot on page 26 of this story when I signed him), he has lived up to the comparison and developed into quite a wonderful player, and still has room to grow. Well on the way to becoming world-class.

Evaluation:
First choice AMC, though with competition may drop in and out of the starting lineup subject to form.

View attachment 170548

Dusan Tadic

Despite being most comfortable on the left or in the centre, Tadic also plays on the right wing, and the vice-captain has produced consistently over the last 4 years, including critical goals to secure the title for us last season. Almost a shoo-in to be named captain for the upcoming season due to the retirement of Palombo.

Evaluation:
Probably won’t be first choice, but certainly capable of challenging for a starting role anywhere across the attacking midfield strata, subject to form

View attachment 170547

Marko Pjaca

Excellent attributes, and 14 goals in each of the last two seasons, where he was top scorer, and second to Vietto last year (tied with Milik). However, my left winger tends to produce the least regularly of my attacking quartet, whoever is selected, and I’d definitely consider an upgrade.

Evaluation:
Future is up in the air. It is possible that both he and De Paul will stay, it is possible one or both of them will go. It will all depend on the availability and price of potential upgrades. Still comfortable to keep him as a first team option.

View attachment 170546

Rodrigo De Paul

Again, great attributes but just doesn’t seem to produce regularly enough for my liking. Slightly behind Pjaca in my estimation, but on lower wages so if only one is sold it may just depend on interest.

Evaluation:
I wouldn’t be especially worried if he were to stay for another year or two, but ideally, he would need to contribute more often. Possible sale, possible stay as a first team/rotation option.

View attachment 170545

Dario Rodriguez

Back from an outstanding season with AS Saint-Etienne on loan, where he won the Ligue 1 Most Promising Player Award. I’d like to give him some game time this year, though it’s possible Pjaca and/or De Paul may need to make way.

Evaluation:
Rotation option this season, though slight possibility of another loan move.

View attachment 170544

Terje Jacobsen

Similarly to Rodriguez, had an excellent season on loan with Aberdeen, and has the advantage of youth over the Spaniard. Still might need some work on his finishing though.

Evaluation:
Likely to either go on loan again, or receive occasional minutes whilst playing in the youth sides.

View attachment 170543

Mikkel Duelund

Signed a couple of years ago and had a good loan with Saint-Etienne the season before last. Hampered by a couple of injuries at Sporting last year which has set him back a little.

Evaluation:
Another left winger with an uncertain future. He may go on loan again, he may be given a chance as a rotation option, or he may even be sold, as he’s running out of time.

View attachment 170542

Marcel Prins

An outstanding talent. Received some minutes last year and could develop into a top class attacking midfielder. Very exciting future ahead of him. Competition could be tricky though, as the path to the first team is blocked by the likes of Gitschier and Asensio.

Evaluation:
Will stay with the youth side this season and hopefully get some minutes in the Cups. Long term he will hopefully develop into a first team player, or rotation option at worst.

View attachment 170541

Jakub Moravcik

Signed for a low fee, he has some real talent and has established himself in the Czech Republic international side alongside Southampton team mates Jurcik and Sindelar. Some excellent playmaking attributes and could turn into a great player.

Evaluation: Will go on loan again this season. May break into the first team at some point, but based on his competition is probably more likely to be sold for profit.

Looks like a great little talent, and very comfortable both behind the striker and on the left wing. Needs a work permit still.

Evaluation:
Has the attributes that suggest he could develop into a player capable of breaking into the first team here, but it’s perhaps more likely that he will be sold after a sequence of loan moves.

View attachment 170493

Squad Overview

Part Five

Strikers:

View attachment 170500

Luciano Vietto

Top scorer in his first full season at the club with 21 goals, although they tended to come in bunches rather than consistently. Hopefully with that first season under his belt he can kick on and score more regularly, and in particular, increase his league tally.

Evaluation:
Barring a top class signing, which is improbable, first choice striker for the upcoming season.

View attachment 170498

Arkadiusz Milik

Has now been here three seasons and has scored a reasonable amount of goals in that time, but unfortunately, with little to no consistency. Sindelar scoring in each of the last two league games last season may have sealed his fate.

Evaluation:
Quality player, but will likely be sold this offseason while his value is high and he’s in his prime, as a couple of the youngsters deserve their chance and he hasn’t produced consistently enough.

View attachment 170497

Lukas Sindelar

All the attributes to become a world class striker. My eventual regen of choice after scouting numerous 5 star striking talents. Hasn’t scored a great deal of goals in his first team chances, but hasn’t played with too much regularity either and is still developing.

Evaluation:
Second choice behind Vietto for the upcoming season. I have high hopes that in a couple of years time he can become our first choice.

View attachment 170496

Stefan Kießling

Veteran striker could still offer a little and is an excellent tutor. Only made one substitute appearance last season.

Evaluation: Will hang around for another year as an emergency backup and as a tutor

View attachment 170495

Linus Persson

My coaches all seem to prefer the more rounded attributes of his compatriot Andersson, but personally I like the lethal finishing and composure of Persson. There’s still very little to choose between them though. Both have the talent to reach the top.

Evaluation:
Hopefully will stick around for the season as third choice striker. Long term challenger for Sindelar perhaps, though I expect the Czech to win that battle.

View attachment 170494

Tobias Andersson

My other very talented Swedish striker. I’m still undecided as to which of the pair I prefer, though I am leaning towards Persson. Still time for me to change my mind though, and Andersson does have the physical edge.

Evaluation:
Could possibly edge Persson for the third choice striker role this season, but otherwise will probably go on loan.

View attachment 170491

Duncan Greenwood

The academy product has some excellent attributes to be a great target man, but unfortunately for him, is too limited for my liking and doesn’t have the same high ceiling as my other young strikers.

Evaluation:
A few loan moves before an eventual sale

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *​

So there it is, the Southampton squad at the end of the 2018/19 season. There are actually a handful of youngsters who will be joining at some point during the off-season, most on July first, to add to this talented group.

Let me know what you think! Do you disagree with my evaluations of any of the players? Should I be giving somebody a chance? Is Andersson better than Persson? Which young midfielder looks the most promising? Thoughts on the incredible Gitschier? Did you like the squad review? It took a while to make so I hope it covers everything and is easy enough to read! I’d love to hear anything you have to contribute! :)

Last edited:
In my opinion , I would try selling all players that are above 32 (e.g Iniesta). It is time to give your youngsters more chances to shine. As for the midfield your top three players is obvious that should be Wanyama, Prowse and ofcource the amazing Gitschier ! I also like young Tobias Andersson in my opinion should be your second or third choice. I like the depth of your squad a lot and I think that you don't need any additions. Try to offload some big names and let your kids play. Save money for the next amazing wonderkid that will pop up !

Back