English Premier League - Game 23 - West Ham United (Away)

We take on an out-of-form West Ham outfit on the back of 9 straight wins. Hopefully we can make it 10 with another one today.

Reece Oxford made a goal-saving block to deny Gitschier in the 11th minute.

In the 21st minute Valencia hit the bar with a close range header from a corner.

In the 23rd minute Jurcik nodded Asensio’s free kick against the bar. He had the whole goal to aim at from the rebound but tapped it against Adrian, who was lying on the ground motionless! Fortunately Vietto was there to clean up the mess and finish things off. Perhaps he was just being selfless and trying to help Vietto go for the golden boot?

An incredible volleyed through ball from Gitschier in the 31st minute sent Vietto on his way, and he cut inside Fosu-Mensah, turning him inside out, but couldn’t beat Adrian with a curling strike.

Vietto added his second of the game with a close range header from Augustinsson’s cross.

In the 64th minute Doebel was incredibly unlucky to see his brilliant effort hit the inside of the far post and roll along the line all the way to the other side of the goal and the grateful arms of Adrian.

Gitschier somehow ballooned an effort over the bar just a minute later when he should have scored.

Larsson was on for Wanyama seconds later.

Clough then pulled a goal back in the 72nd minute with a tap in after brilliant work from Payet down the right.

Jacobsen replaced Doebel in the 77th minute.

Rodriguez replaced Ward-Prowse in the 81st minute. He went to the left wing, Jacobsen to the right, and Asensio to midfield.

Just two minutes later, incredibly, West Ham were level! Another incredible pass from Payet left Clough with a tap in, and Dragowski actually saved it, but could do nothing to stop him at the second attempt after it rebounded off the back of Laporte and fell to Clough again.

Oxford managed to clear Vietto’s 89th minute glancing header off the line to keep West Ham alive!

Well West Ham deserve a lot of credit for that impressive fightback. The game seemed in the bag at 2-0 but they fought back to claim a point, and despite fortune definitely favouring them, I won’t complain. 30 shots to 6 should never end in a draw though. Vietto scored another brace, Augustinsson and Gitschier were solid and Ward-Prowse was outstanding, but most of the others had an off day. We’ll move on.

POM: James Ward-Prowse (9.0, 0G, 0A)

English Premier League - Game 24 - Sheffield Wednesday (Home)

Hopefully we can get back to winning ways against Sheffield Wednesday. They have a solid squad are are currently mid table, so they could be capable of an upset. Lovell starts in central defence alongside Süle.

In the 4th minute Doebel opened the scoring with a close range half-volley from Dimarco’s looping header forwards. Lovely finish, and just his third goal of the season - his other two coming in a Cup game against Everton, so it’s his first league goal for the club!

Vietto was denied by an excellent save in the 8th minute after Dimarco threaded him the ball.

In the 18th minute Iborra was shown a straight red for a vicious foul on Gitschier. Atrocious tackle and a deserved sending off.

Asensio netted our second with a powerful half-volley at the back post from Dimarco’s cross. He and Gitschier exchanged some lovely passes in the buildup too.

In the 30th minute Doebel skinned his man down the left and looped in a cross. It was headed out to Ward-Prowse, who passed inside to Asensio, who squared for Gitschier, and Forster made a diving save. Doebel hit the post from a sharp angle off the rebound.

In the 35th minute Gitschier somehow contrived to miss the target after a lethal counter attack where Doebel knocked down Asensio’s pass to set him up.

Vietto was denied by Forster after a one-two with Gitschier following an Asensio corner.

Sindelar replaced Vietto in the 64th minute.

Jacobsen replaced Ward-Prowse in the 70th minute. He went to the left wing, Doebel to the right and Asensio to midfield.

In the 74th minute Jacobsen headed an Asensio free kick back across goal to Doebel. His header was saved by Forster. His followup was saved by Forster. His third attempt was saved by Forster. His fourth attempt wasn’t. Persistence pays!

Wellington replaced Wanyama in the 78th minute.

In the 89th minute Gitschier twisted his ankle and I opted to play a man short.

A solid performance as we kept a long overdue clean sheet whilst outshooting them by an incredible 34 shots to 1! Doebel doubled his season tally whilst Asensio netted in another top class display. I’m really annoyed by the injury to Gitschier though, I suspect he will be ruled out.

POM: Sven Doebel (9.1, 2G, 0A)

Injury News...

Jurcik is also on the injury list for a week

Some more success in the awards for Doebel, Asensio and Gitschier, though I only come third in Manager of the Month. Fontaine scoops the Scottish Player of the Month as he continues to impress for Aberdeen, much like Jacobsen last season.

P$G, Arsenal, Real Madrid and Man United all splash the cash in January

Ah West Ham are tough to beat on this game! Still unbeaten though, keep it up! Linking with Hoffenheim is a nice bonus as well :)

Ah West Ham are tough to beat on this game! Still unbeaten though, keep it up! Linking with Hoffenheim is a nice bonus as well :)

A bit annoying to throw away a 2 goal lead but it was away and we're still unbeaten so it's not all bad. Should be a good place for our youngsters to get some game time :)

The PL is yours, now go and take over Europe mate!

Thanks mate, that's the plan!

FA Cup - Fourth Round - Manchester United (Away)

I’d really love to knock United out of the FA Cup on their own turf. I’ve still rotated my squad though, whereas United have pulled no punches in their selection.

In the 4th minute Nishimura’s cross found Jacobsen at the back post, but his shot was turned aside by De Gea from a very sharp angle.

Tadic then should have opened the scoring in the 7th minute after passes from Asensio and Persson, but he made it too easy for De Gea.

Carlos Mané scored up the other end in the 20th minute but was a mile offside.

Two minutes later De Gea was called into action again as Asensio threaded the ball through for Persson, but his tight angle shot was tipped aside.

Gauld then opened the scoring for United in the 31st minute after a great run from Mané presented him with a back post tap in.

Augustinsson levelled things up in the 38th minute with a cracking half-volley from Tadic’s cross.

De Gea made a double save from Asensio at close range after a superb passing move from the team in the 44th minute.

Rodriguez replaced Asensio in the 63rd minute and switched wings with Jacobsen.

In the 65th minute Persson’s half-volley from Tadic’s corner was saved by a diving De Gea. Tadic sent it back to Clasie, about 25 yards out, and his thumping volley was incredibly tipped over the bar by the Spanish keeper. Unbelievable save. De Gea’s rating stands at 9.3 at this point.

Nishimura was hurt, and was replaced by Chambers in the 72nd minute. Sindelar was on for Persson at the same time.

In the 79th minute De Gea saved a long range Clasie effort and played it out to Jones, whose first touch let him down, and Sindelar swooped in and stole it, taking a single touch and then slotting it into the bottom corner!

Then in the 83rd minute Dragowski allowed Cartabia’s free kick to hit the bar, but then it rebounded off the back of his head and in for an own goal!

**** De Gea! United actually had more shots than us, but 13 of those were from long range and after we pounced on an error to score, we then conceded in ridiculous fashion. De Gea’s match rating says it all. We were robbed, but at least we will contest the replay in our own stadium.

POM: David De Gea (Manchester United - 9.3, 2 Conceded, 9 Saves)

Unlucky own goal in the end there mate! Says enough DDG got man of the match. Go beat them at St Mary's!

Unlucky own goal in the end there mate! Says enough DDG got man of the match. Go beat them at St Mary's!

Annoys me no end when that happens, opposition keeper playing out of their skin - though to be fair De Gea does it a heck of a lot irl. Hopefully we can finish the job at home :)

Annoys me no end when that happens, opposition keeper playing out of their skin - though to be fair De Gea does it a heck of a lot irl. Hopefully we can finish the job at home :)

One of the most common complaints among Real Madrid fans when they don't beat small teams.

What annoys me of that kind of own goal is when it's not an own goal and the keeper catches a ball that's coming wilding from hitting the post or crossbar behind him.

That's fair tbh but usually there's like one particular keeper who always does well against me every season. For me it's always Mignolet. I think he got MOTM once every 2 games or something..

Shame about that own goal... As if English schedule wasn't clogged enough.... Another extra match for you... yay ¬¬
Oh well, look at the bright side though, if your lads beat United at St.Mary's the next round will be considerably easier and a chance to rest some legs.

The team is still performing well on all fronts (shame about the Capital One though), and the team still keeps its unbeaten league run which is wonderful news.

Fantastic work so far, keep it up lad. ^^

.P.S.: That affiliation with Hoffenheim is definitely great news.

One of the most common complaints among Real Madrid fans when they don't beat small teams.

What annoys me of that kind of own goal is when it's not an own goal and the keeper catches a ball that's coming wilding from hitting the post or crossbar behind him.

Not surprised, I've heard that :p

It is really annoying, a very frustrating way to concede

That's fair tbh but usually there's like one particular keeper who always does well against me every season. For me it's always Mignolet. I think he got MOTM once every 2 games or something..

Yeah it happens, can't really complain too much. Tim Krul, Mignolet, De Gea, Rajkovic have all played blinders against me in this save, it's going to happen sometimes so no use complaining :)

Shame about that own goal... As if English schedule wasn't clogged enough.... Another extra match for you... yay ¬¬
Oh well, look at the bright side though, if your lads beat United at St.Mary's the next round will be considerably easier and a chance to rest some legs.

The team is still performing well on all fronts (shame about the Capital One though), and the team still keeps its unbeaten league run which is wonderful news.

Fantastic work so far, keep it up lad. ^^

.P.S.: That affiliation with Hoffenheim is definitely great news.

Yeah extra matches are always great aren't they? Definitely, if we get through that one then we can play the kids in the next round for sure.

A bit annoyed about the Capital One Cup because of how tempted I was to play my strongest team in it, but decided not to and paid the price. Oh well. Hopefully we can go unbeaten in the league :)

Thanks for the support, I'm happy with the affiliation too! :)

English Premier League - Game 25 - Derby County (Away)

Back to league action, and Derby are the next side to attempt to break our unbeaten league run. Luckily for them, they’re the home side, though hopefully we can get the job done on the road regardless. Laporte is suspended so misses this game and the next one - the Cup Replay.

In the 16th minute Vietto - who else? - fired us in front with a close range volley from Chambers’ cross, after the fullback had overlapped Doebel down the right.

Hughes picked out Ince with a brilliant pass in the 24th minute, but Dragowski made the save.

In the 38th minute we had our second as a sensational Chambers cross presented Jacobsen with an open net, and he accepted the gift.

Doebel’s square pass in the 42nd minute teed up Asensio, but he was denied by a quality save. Still probably should have scored.

Asensio chipped a glorious pass through for Vietto in the 53rd minute, and the striker finished coolly past Szczesny for his second.

The pair combined again in the 57th minute, this time Vietto playing Asensio through, but his shot struck the post!

Vietto complete his hat trick in the 60th minute, latching onto a lovely Doebel pass and surging between two defenders, before picking out the top right corner from outside the box! Sensational goal! What a masterclass he’s putting on today!

Larsson replaced Wanyama in the 71st minute.

Paterson pulled a goal back in the 80th minute with a close range finish from an excellent low cross by Ince.

Rodriguez and Wellington replaced Jacobsen and Ward-Prowse in the 81st minute.

I felt sorry for Derby, as a rampant Vietto tore them to shreds. His hat trick takes his season tally to 20 goals in as many appearances, just one shy of his total last season. Asensio and Chambers also stood out today in a sparkling attacking display. A bit annoyed to lose the clean sheet late on though.

POM: Luciano Vietto (9.5, 3G, 0A)

FA Cup - Fourth Round Replay - Manchester United (Home)

The Cup replay against Man United is on our own turf, where we have a perfect winning record this season. Hopefully our rotated lineup can continue that form.

It took 31 minutes, but we had our opener through Sindelar, whose first time rifle from the edge of the box flashed into the bottom corner beyond the reach of De Gea! Top quality finish, and a fantastic pass from Tadic initially.

Clasie replaced Rodriguez in the 64th minute, dropping into midfield and shifting Asensio to right wing and Jacobsen to left.

Prins replaced Jacobsen in the 73rd and shifted Tadic to the left.

Sindelar added his second with another superb finish in the 82nd minute, curling it into the bottom right corner with exquisite technique from Asensio’s pass.

Doebel replaced the superb Asensio in the 84th minute.

Oliver fired wide after a nice passing move from United in the 90th minute.

Well United tried to sign Sindelar in the January window, and they’ll be even more upset that I rejected their advances after that display. The young striker produced a pair of top class finishes, which were probably needed to get past De Gea, and ably supported by Asensio and Tadic, his performance saw us kick out the Mancs and seal our place in the Fifth Round. Great stuff!

POM: Lukas Sindelar (9.0, 2G, 0A)

English Premier League - Game 26 - Tottenham Hotspur FC (Home)

I’m delighted to welcome Gitschier back from injury and into the lineup for today’s clash with Tottenham. Hopefully we can continue our perfect home record by recording another win at St. Mary’s.

In just the second minute we opened the scoring, as Asensio whipped a free kick to the back post for Süle to crisply volley into the bottom corner.

Vietto doubled our lead in the 19th minute with a volleyed finish from Chambers’ cross. Common theme, that.

In the 44th minute Vietto added his second, spinning off Alderweireld to latch onto Gitschier’s pass and slide it beyond Lloris.

In the 58th minute Gitschier sent Dimarco down the left and his low cross was turned into the net by Bailly for an unfortunate own goal.

Spurs pulled a goal back in the 67th minute, Keita applying a quality finish to Alli’s through ball.

Wellington, Rodriguez and Doebel replaced Wanyama, Jacobsen and Ward-Prowse in the 75th minute. Asensio dropped into midfield and Doebel went to right wing.

An outstanding return to action for Gitschier, who scooped the POM award after a typically brilliant performance. Vietto continues his incredible hot streak with another brace, and the likes of Asensio, Dimarco and Chambers all put in their usual high quality displays. Great stuff. Danny Ings scored 5 for Everton in their 6-2 win over Fulham, which brings him within a goal of Vietto at the top of the league scoring charts, and 8 goals clear of third placed Asensio. It’s a two horse race.

POM: Moritz Gitschier (9.0, 0G, 1A)