UEFA Champions League Quarter Final - First Leg - Real Madrid CF (Home)

We’ve stumbled at the worst possible time of the year. Having lost and drawn our last two matches, we now have to take on Real Madrid. The first leg is home, so keeping a clean sheet is crucial. Hopefully we can snap out of our mini-slump and pick up a good result today. Real’s world class lineup certainly won’t make it easy for us.

In the 13th minute Chambers and Asensio played a one-two down the right, and the fullback raced to the byline before whipping in a cross. Vietto was denied by Navas at point blank range, but could do nothing to prevent the striker putting away the rebound!

Navas made a flying fingertip save from Asensio’s scorching effort after a brilliant solo run in the 20th minute.

In the 26th minute Ward-Prowse sent a raking through ball to Vietto, who made a fool of both centre backs before blasting goalwards. Navas got a piece of it, but only succeeded in knocking it towards Asensio, who fired into the open net! 2-0!

In the 53rd minute we carved them open once again, Gitschier finding Vietto, who curled a cross back to Asensio, and the Spaniard hit the bar! So close!

In the 59th minute we did find our third though, as Chambers’ brilliant cross was emphatically volleyed inside the near post by Gitschier!

In the 69th minute Dragowski casually flipped Rodriguez’s close range header over the bar.

Our own Rodriguez replaced Jacobsen two minutes later.

Sindelar replaced Vietto in the 85th minute.

Clasie replaced Gitschier in the 89th and dropped to DM.

What a performance! Just take a look at the match stats as well. Real were never in the game, and if anything, 3-0 flattered our guests. 3 Clear Cut and 3 Half Chances against none. Half their shots were from distance, whereas we had just one long effort. Sensational stuff from the team as we carved them up time and again. I resisted my urge to go defensive after our first or even second goal, deciding to keep the pressure on them, and it paid dividends as we take a 3 goal lead to the Bernabeu, along with a clean sheet. If we manage to score there, it will take 5 for them to prevent us reaching the Semi Finals. We overturned a deficit that way against P$G 3 years ago, but I’m confident that we won’t collapse as the French side did that day. Wonderful performance and victory!

POM: Calum Chambers (9.0, 0G, 1A)

Incredible result over Real! Hopefully that can get you back into some good form in the league!

Ouch... Such a shame that loss against Everton, you lost your unbeaten run almost at the very end...x_X
But oh well, the toffees are a really strong team and really annoying to deal with (they gave more trouble than bigger teams like Chelsea or Man U in my save hands down) so I guess it's not that big of a deal at the end of the day (besides the unbeaten season will eventually come one day with such a squad ).

On the other hand, that's a fantastic result against Real Madrid, it seems that the Saints are the European giant slayers this season... hopefully that will serve you to get them far ^^

.P.S.: Can you post a screenshot of Mayoral? I would like to see how much he's progressed so far (I've seen him in other saves as a good player yet nothing spectacular (not an Alcácer nor a Morata) but being on a relatively big team like Everton he should be way better in this save I guess).

Fantastic result after some bad performances! But your players seem to focus on the CL which is alright at this point!

Thats some win over Real Madrid! Seems like the teams gearing up for the CL title now!

Incredible result over Real! Hopefully that can get you back into some good form in the league!

Thanks mate, hopefully it will be a momentum boost :)

Ouch... Such a shame that loss against Everton, you lost your unbeaten run almost at the very end...x_X
But oh well, the toffees are a really strong team and really annoying to deal with (they gave more trouble than bigger teams like Chelsea or Man U in my save hands down) so I guess it's not that big of a deal at the end of the day (besides the unbeaten season will eventually come one day with such a squad ).

On the other hand, that's a fantastic result against Real Madrid, it seems that the Saints are the European giant slayers this season... hopefully that will serve you to get them far ^^

.P.S.: Can you post a screenshot of Mayoral? I would like to see how much he's progressed so far (I've seen him in other saves as a good player yet nothing spectacular (not an Alcácer nor a Morata) but being on a relatively big team like Everton he should be way better in this save I guess).

So close, painful to lose it so late but oh well. They used to give me more trouble when they still had Lukaku but have a positive record against us this season with a draw and a win - unless you count us thrashing them in the League Cup.

Europe is the target now with the PL more or less wrapped up, and we should have done enough there to get us through to the Semi Finals. Who knows from there?

I was so close to signing Mayoral at the end of the second season, I think it was, but I decided against it in the end. I think he had two season long loans with Everton before signing for them permanently at the start of this season, but I'm not certain - may have just been one, and maybe he's still on loan. He looks a pretty decent player but I wouldn't say world class, I'll get a screenshot for you next time I open the game.

Fantastic result after some bad performances! But your players seem to focus on the CL which is alright at this point!

Yeah I can't blame them, if they have to play better in one than the other right now I'm definitely hoping it's the CL!

Thats some win over Real Madrid! Seems like the teams gearing up for the CL title now!

Cheers mate, let's hope so!

The CL is yours for the taking!

Hopefully! Can't count on it too early though :p

That's sick! Seems like you really got a fantastic regen in him :D

That's sick! Seems like you really got a fantastic regen in him :D

Yeah he's undoubtedly world class already. He's listed as our Key Player on the Club Information screen, and still has a bit of room to grow further!

English Premier League - Game 33 - Newcastle United (Home)

We face a resurgent Newcastle outfit today, a match that is sandwiched between our two Real Madrid clashes. They are unbeaten in their last 7 matches as they pull away from the relegation battle. It’s an unchanged lineup from the side that dismantled Madrid, and hopefully we can back up that performance with another win here. I think a win today would seal the Premier League title, too.

It took a while, 32 minutes in fact, but Jacobsen’s backheel to Dimarco allowed the left back to put in a cross, and Asensio leapt highest to power home a header and put us in front. His 20th goal of the season!

Just two minutes later Asensio’s free kick found Dimarco for a back post half-volley, but Asenjo made the save.

In the 38th minute we carved them up again, and Ward-Prowse’s volleyed through ball sent Gitschier through. He whipped a ball across goal but Asensio hit the post from a tight angle.

Schmid hit the post in the 49th minute after a brilliant piece of skill and pass from Sturridge.

In the 64th minute Asensio and Gitschier exchanged passes, and the latter sent Chambers down the right. His low cross found Ward-Prowse, who squared to set up Vietto for an easy finish. His 29th of the season in all competitions, and 50th in a Saints uniform. Thank you Arsenal!

Wellington and Doebel replaced Wanyama and Jacobsen in the 69th minute.

In the 78th minute Chambers found himself in oceans of space on the right flank, and his flat cross skidded through to box and left Gitschier with a tap in.

Sindelar replaced Asensio in the 80th minute, moving up top. Vietto went to the left wing and Doebel to the right.

A very convincing win, as we didn’t give Newcastle the chance to gain any traction in the match. Mathematically we’re not Champions yet, but Chelsea would need to win their last 7 matches, have us lose our last 5, and all that whilst overcoming a goal difference that is 43 goals in our favour.

POM: Calum Chambers (9.0, 0G, 1A)

UEFA Champions League Quarter Final - Second Leg - Real Madrid CF (Away)

Three changes to our lineup as we take on Madrid, in Madrid. Sindelar starts up top, along with Nishimura and Jurcik in defence. We’re underdogs for this match, but favourites for the overall tie thanks to our first leg lead and performance. Hopefully we can score a goal and keep things tight, and that should be enough to see us through to the Semi Finals.

Dragowski was called into action as Real countered in the 6th minute, and he made a save from Ronaldo high at his near post.

In the 40th minute Asensio swung a free kick to the back post, and Laporte powered a header into the top corner! Surely we can’t lose from here!

Dragowski stood tall to swat aside Benzema’s powerful 49th minute effort.

From their second corner Gitschier cleared to Sindelar, who sent a sensational pass down the right for Asensio. Asensio cut back from the byline and put a cross in for Ward-Prowse, whose volley was acrobatically saved by Navas! Brilliant move but an even better save unfortunately.

Gitschier sent his 57th minute strike whistling over the bar after an excellent run.

Doebel and Clasie replaced Jacobsen and Wanyama in the 66th minute.

In the 72nd minute Sindelar sent a lovely through ball into the pass of Gitschier, and he was hacked down just as he entered the box by Ramos! But Asensio couldn’t beat Navas from the spot! **** it - a relief that it shouldn’t prove to be a pivotal moment.

Persson replaced Sindelar in the 74th minute.

In the 84th minute a Real Madrid corner squirmed through the box and Ramos hit the post from the byline on the other side of the goal. Don’t know why he bothered shooting from there.

Isco fired straight into the arms of Dragowski in the 87th minute after Vallejo controlled a corner and squared for him. And we’re through!

Courtesy of a Laporte header, we pick up a win at the Santiago Bernabeu, and progress to the Semi Finals with a 4-0 aggregate win, despite missing a penalty, which is never something you want to do against Madrid. Contrary to the first leg, this match was more about an assured and resolute defensive performance than a sparkling attack, but we got the job done nonetheless. Great stuff! We will face off against one of Barcelona, Bayern or Chelsea in the Semi.

POM: Aymeric Laporte (7.9, 1G, 0A)

I expected him to be better after spending 3 years developing on a club like Everton, so it's a bit of a letdown.
I mean he's not that bad, but he's not Spain national team's starter striker either.

Good job at beating Real Madrid on both legs, your squad can easily be regarded as Champions League favorite as of now.
And don't ever think about letting Mortiz go, that kid is world class material hands down.

Well, that's awesome, win also away.
Now clearly anything is possible.

I expected him to be better after spending 3 years developing on a club like Everton, so it's a bit of a letdown.
I mean he's not that bad, but he's not Spain national team's starter striker either.

Good job at beating Real Madrid on both legs, your squad can easily be regarded as Champions League favorite as of now.
And don't ever think about letting Mortiz go, that kid is world class material hands down.

Yeah he's a decent top flight player but not much more, still capable of winning matches for them though.

Thanks, I wouldn't say we're outright favourites but we're definitely a serious contender, that's for sure

Well, that's awesome, win also away.
Now clearly anything is possible.

Thanks man, it was great to get the win on the road too, massive for the confidence :)

Well this is unquestionably the hardest draw we could have been given. We know we’re better than Chelsea, and Barcelona are behind both Madrid sides in La Liga, but Bayern are Germany’s dominant side, and probably the best in the world right now. They knocked us out of the Champions League back in season two with an extra time winner to seal a 5-4 aggregate win, with Lewandowski scoring four of their five. Hopefully we can keep him in check a little bit more this time.
This will be massive!

English Premier League - Game 34 - Swansea City (Away)

Swansea are standing between ourselves and the Premier League title - mathematically, anyway. A draw is all we need, but I’d be disappointed with that outcome. I’m hoping for a win, as we want to cross the finish line in style, rather than stumble across.

In the 6th minute we went ahead, as youth product Jack Lovell powered a header into the top corner from Asensio’s corner! His first goal for the club - what a moment!

Afobe should have levelled things in the 12th minute but his shot was casually plucked out of the air by Dragowski.

In the 17th minute Doebel’s header from Chambers’ cross beat the keeper, but not the post!

In the 32nd minute Garbutt’s low cross found Rodrigo, but Dragowski repelled two shots before Lovell got in front for the third and deflected it wide.

Jonny Evans made a critical block on Vietto in the 53rd minute after Dimarco had headed Asensio’s ball into his path.

In the 61st minute it was another set piece that saw us double our lead! Ward-Prowse’s corner was volleyed viciously by Vietto but Leeuwenburgh made a brilliant save. Fortunately, Asensio was on hand to polish off the rebound.

In the 66th minute Swansea’s superb counter was halted as Dragowski’s incredible save prevented Rodrigo finishing the move from close range.

Sindelar and Rodriguez replaced Vietto and Asensio in the 70th minute, and Doebel switched wings with Rodriguez.

Nishimura replaced Süle in the 76th, shuffling Chambers to CB.

A solid performance that sees us mathematically clinch the Premier League title! Dragowski played his role in subduing a dangerous Swans outfit, but we were in control for the most part.

POM: Marco Asensio (8.8, 1G, 1A)