It is still a bit challenging, I've sold a good few decent regens into other clubs in the Premier League to strengthen it. I've potentially sold the future Egyptian Messi to Brighton just to help them score against the bigger clubs :D

Chelsea, Man U, Liverpool and Man City are still the other best clubs. Arsenal and Tottenham have dropped this season. Brentford and pushing for 6th.

That's good at least, as long as it's still interesting that's a good thing. The big clubs are still the main threats in mine I'd say, not too much change really

Do u still have that asensio. Looking at playing him cm ap (s) wondering how he did for u

I haven't played him in that role I don't think but I'd imagine he'd do pretty well. I had him as CM AP ( A ) for a while and have used his as an RPM as well and he's been great regardless

First victory with Sweden, congrats!
Bosnia seemed to put up quite a fight (it doesn't surprise me as they have a pretty solid squad) so good job on getting a win against them.

Chelsea is definitely your black beast when it comes to domestic competitions, the blues definitely know how to neutralize your lads... But a draw is better than going home empty handed at the very least.

Keep it up, the good results will come eventually.

.P.S.: Wow... The owls are overperforming this season...

Thanks, Bosnia are definitely a tough team, especially with Begovic and Pjanic still around, so it was a pleasing win for sure.

Chelsea do seem to have a handle on us at the moment which is a bit frustrating. Even at 2-0 up I wasn't feeling comfortable and was not in the least bit surprised they came back to draw.

They are killing it, with the great B-Rodgers at the helm they are unstoppable :p

Last edited:

If we hold Belgium to a draw then we put ourselves in an excellent position in the group. A number of changes are enforced, as despite a 3 day gap, players don’t seem to recover their condition very fast on international duty. Courtois denied Persson early, before Lukaku’s shot rebounded straight back to him from Olsen and he put it away. Persson beat Courtois just before half time but saw his shot trickle inches wide. De Bruyne’s effort from a corner ricocheted wildly before rolling into the bottom corner. Lukaku scored on a late breakaway after we had applied heavy pressure for a 10 minute period. Hazard added another to compound our misery. We were outclassed, although with a little more luck we might not have been forced to go for broke and leave ourselves exposed.

Injury News...

Asensio can’t seem to stop getting injured at the moment. He’s out for another month.

Kranjcar joins him on the sidelines, for 5 weeks.

English Premier League - Game 8 - Everton FC (Home)

Everton are our next league opponents, and we really need to get back amongst the wins after a sequence of draws. We are missing a handful of important players through injury, tiredness and suspension, but this side should still be good enough to take all three points. Everton were the only team to beat us at St. Mary’s last season.

Our woes were increased further as Ward-Prowse was forced off with an injury just 10 minutes in. Wellington was his replacement.

In the 13th minute Jacobsen slipped a ball through for Vietto, who finished past KSG with aplomb.

In the 34th minute Jacobsen went on a run himself and sent a long range thunderbolt whistling just over the bar, with KSG beaten.

In the 62nd minute Wellington, Vietto and Gitschier combined, the latter sending Candreva through, and the Italian was fouled by Günter. Gitschier doubled our lead from the spot. His first of the season.

In the 69th minute Süle headed a corner out and chased after it himself. He launched the ball up to Vietto, who sent an intelligent ball into the path of Candreva. The veteran surged past his man before finishing clinically past KSG! Lovely goal!

Prins and Nishimura replaced Gitschier and Süle in the 74th minute, with Chambers going to central defence.

A scintillating performance from our front four, as both Candreva and Vietto bagged a goal and an assist, whilst Gitschier also scored and Jacobsen added an assist of his own. An emphatic way to get back amongst the wins, and the clean sheet is very welcome too. Wellington also impressed in midfield in place of Ward-Prowse, who I hope isn’t seriously hurt.

POM: Antonio Candreva (8.7, 1G, 1A)

You're playing the first match a lot. Is it some kind of FA plot to hurt your chances?

Good to see Asensio was concentrating on his visits to the Sturridge and Carroll school of injuries

You're playing the first match a lot. Is it some kind of FA plot to hurt your chances?

Haha could well be, who knows? :p Don't think it matters too much, it's more been injuries and the Olympics that have cost us so far

Good to see Asensio was concentrating on his visits to the Sturridge and Carroll school of injuries

Unquestionably one of their best students in years. Last couple of seasons he would miss about 6 weeks or so, but he's really stepped things up this season

UEFA Champions League - Game 3 - Legia Warszawa (Away)

It’s a makeshift lineup of sorts, but I expect nothing less than a comfortable win in Poland today. Poor Legia are the whipping boys of the group, and we need to win if we want to beat Real Madrid to top spot in the group. It wouldn’t hurt if Dynamo did us a favour and took some points off them either.

In the 4th minute Persson chased down a cleared Prins corner and passed back in to Rodriguez, who worked some space before shooting. His shot hit the head of a defender and deflected wickedly into the net for an own goal.

Persson doubled our lead in the 17th minute as he headed home Nishimura’s cross.

Rodriguez sliced his shot inches wide after a fantastic first touch pass from Prins in the 40th minute.

In first half stoppage time Rodriguez drifted a free kick in, and Lovell cracked a vicious volley off the post!

In the 59th minute Prins swung in a corner, and centre-back Dusan Jurcik met it with a sensational bicycle kick, which flew past the keeper and into the net! Incredible goal!

Fontaine replaced Persson in the 68th minute, shifting Sindelar up top.

In the 70th minute Fontaine’s corner was met by another brilliant Lovell volley, but once again it smashed into the post!

Just a minute later though and Fontaine netted our fourth after picking up Rodriguez’s pass and slotting past the keeper at close range.

Rodriguez and Wanyama were replaced by Wellington and Gasperoni in the 73rd minute. Prins moved to right wing and Amrani to AMC, with the two subs in central midfield.

An extremely comfortable win, as expected. The kids did very well, with Jurcik’s spectacular overhead kick the undoubted highlight. Prins showed he can be effective in central midfield as well with a superb showing. Real edged past Dynamo Kyiv to keep things tight at the top.

POM: Marcel Prins (9.0, 0G, 1A)

English Premier League - Game 9 - Burnley FC (Home)

At the start of the day Burnley and ourselves were two of 6 teams on 13 points, a group which we led on goal difference. Of those 6, Arsenal and QPR grabbed wins whilst Liverpool were stunned 4-1 by Derby. Doebel is back from injury but well short of sharpness, so starts on the bench because this front 4 were so deadly against Everton. Last year’s youth intake player Christy Evans is also on the bench due to our injuries and suspensions in central midfield. In the pre-match conference I was laughably asked why Gitschier was selected ahead of Rodriguez. Maybe because he’s my best player?

In the 16th minute it was Gitschier’s corner which was headed on to the back post by Laporte, where Jacobsen headed it back across and Candreva volleyed in at point blank range.

In the 20th minute Candreva’s corner was met by an absolute bullet of a header from Süle, and we had our second! His first of the season.

In the 24th minute Berisha’s first time, looping shot from distance seemed to catch Dragowski by surprise, and he didn’t move as it hit the post and rebounded into his arms.

Two minutes later Vietto latched onto Lascelles’ awful back pass but rifled inches wide when he should have hit the net.

In the 41st minute Gitschier answered the deluded critics on my behalf as he tucked away Chambers’ skidding cross with ease. Candreva involved again, playing a one-two with Chambers.

Sindelar and Doebel replaced Vietto and Candreva in the 65th minute.

Young Evans replaced Wellington in the 71st minute for his debut.

Himcinschi’s deflected shot in the 76th minute was brilliantly saved by a sprawling Dragowski.

Dragowski was alert to deny the Romanian striker again in stoppage time.

I’m sorry Mr Journalist, did you say something? Gitschier dismissed any unfounded criticism by producing 11 key passes and netting a goal in a Man of the Match display from the jewel in my Southampton crown. Up to 2nd, 4 points off Chelsea, but level with three other sides, one of whom - Sheffield Wednesday - has a game in hand.

POM: Moritz Gitschier (9.0, 1G, 0A)

Despite the fact that I am away for quite some time from your story , I see that the injuries are keep on coming ha ha ! Keep going Patrick !

Despite the fact that I am away for quite some time from your story , I see that the injuries are keep on coming ha ha ! Keep going Patrick !

Good to have you back Kolas! And of course, it wouldn't really be my story without them :p

Loving this story, one of the best on here. Quick question - Do you play the same tactic home and away? Or is it a different tactic but the same formation?

Loving this story, one of the best on here. Quick question - Do you play the same tactic home and away? Or is it a different tactic but the same formation?

Thanks mate :) It's the same base tactic but I do change the instructions and mentality slightly depending on both my opponent and the venue. So an away match against Chelsea I'd probably be more defensive than a home match against West Brom

Capital One Cup - Fourth Round - Liverpool FC (Home)

It’s a rotated selection for our Cup match with Liverpool, and hopefully the gamble doesn’t backfire. As we’ve seen before, our rotation players are extremely capable, and it would be frustrating to lose, even to the Reds. Doebel makes his first start since his hat trick against Norwich and subsequent injury.

Doebel teed up Sindelar just outside the box in the 9th minute but Mignolet made a low diving save.

Sheyi Ojo then put Liverpool ahead with his first ever goal for them in the 20th minute after a one-two with Coutinho, and the Brazilian’s sublime backheel sent him through.

Mignolet made another outstanding save to tip Prins’ 27th minute rocket over the bar.

A brilliant pass from Wellington released Fontaine, whose equally excellent ball found Sindelar 6 yards out, straight in front, but he fired straight into Mignolet! Atrocious miss.

Persson replaced Sindelar in the 56th minute.

Rodriguez was on for Fontaine in the 61st.

In the 64th minute a Liverpool corner was belted up the line by Rodriguez. Persson latched onto it and raced forwards, before cutting back and putting the ball through the box, to meet the run of Rodriguez! Finally, one all, as the substitutes combine to devastating effect!

Amrani replaced Prins in the 73rd.

In the 78th minute Rodriguez should have added his second as Amrani headed to him and he skipped past Clyne’s sliding tackle, but couldn’t beat Mignolet.

In the 81st minute Rodriguez slid it through to Amrani, but Mignolet got a fingertip to the shot and knocked it onto the post!

Extra time was required.

Chadli chased down a Coutinho free kick and kept it alive in the 103rd minute, cutting it back for Ibe, but Burtic repelled his effort.

Amrani fizzed an effort inches wide in the 117th minute as we tried to avoid penalties.

But we couldn’t, and this side is not strong at penalties, so I’m not expecting much in the shootout.

But Burtic ensured we got off to the perfect start, saving Quaison’s first penalty!

Rodriguez for Southampton…goal!​

Chadli…goal! Top corner.

Wanyama…no worries!​

Calabria…two all.

Doebel…edges Saints in front once more!​

Coutinho…top corner again to tie things up.

Persson…saved by Mignolet! It’s now effectively sudden death.​

Balko…straight down the middle and Liverpool are in front.

Wellington…exactly the same!​

Ilori…rolls it home.

Jurcik…just gets it past Mignolet!​

Clyne…low down the middle as Burtic dives away.

Nishimura…beautifully done, keeps Saints alive.​

Sheyi Ojo…and it’s saved! Burtic knocks his effort clear!

Jorge Miguel with the chance to be a hero…and he chokes! Straight at Mignolet who doesn’t move!​

Jordon Ibe…top corner! No saving that.

Jack Lovell…Mignolet stands tall, sticks out a hand and that’s it!​

So **** frustrating. We were all over them today, and to lose on penalties after twice having the advantage in the shootout is so annoying! We’re out of the Capital One Cup yet again, a trophy I have failed to win in my time here. Should I have played the first team and wiped the floor with them? Maybe. Wellington, Doebel and Nishimura all impressed, whilst Rodriguez was lively enough off the bench.

POM: Sheyi Ojo (Liverpool FC - 8.5, 1G, 0A)

Best Southampton Player: Masao Nishimura (8.5, 0G, 0A)

English Premier League - Game 10 - West Ham United (Home)

Back to the league, and the first string side will be looking to bounce back from our midweek elimination from the League Cup by beating a tricky West Ham outfit today. Wellington is the only starting XI player from the Cup match to retain his position. Asensio is still sidelined.

In the 9th minute Wellington chipped a ball over the top for Vietto, but a last ditch block from Fosu-Mensah knocked the ball into the keeper’s hands after the striker looked to have found space.

Candreva was denied by Boucher in the 11th minute after a lovely counterattack saw Vietto switch the ball to Jacobsen, who picked out the Italian for a shot.

In the 36th minute Vietto received the ball and sprayed it out wide to Dimarco, who whipped in a cross, and Gitschier leapt to acrobatically scissor-kick the ball past Boucher! Sublime finish!

Just two minutes later we were back to square one though, as Sisto’s tame cross took a touch off Laporte and went in for an own goal.

In the 65th minute Laporte stuck out a foot and tripped Clough. It wasn’t a yellow card foul in my opinion, but the referee disagreed, and it was his second! Man down. Nishimura replaced Candreva, dropping to fullback and shifting Chambers to centre back, and Doebel came on for Jacobsen. Gitschier moved to AMCR to balance things out a little more.

In the 73rd minute Obiang’s sliding challenge on Gitschier saw the loose ball go straight through to Vietto, but the striker couldn’t beat Boucher!

He was replaced by Persson when the ball was cleared.

Lewicki produced a desperate 76th minute block to deny Gitschier after a one-two with Nishimura on the counter.

Frustration as poor finishing cost us yet again. 5 times the number of shots, and 60% possession, but we split the points. Even after we went a man down we were the better side. Laporte will want to forget this game quickly, with a soft own goal and a softer red card to his name. Gitschier and Dimarco were outstanding (both 9.0), whilst Wellington (8.4) continues to impress in the absence of captain Ward-Prowse. We’re 3 points back from Chelsea, who have a game in hand. Looks like this season could be much more difficult than last season, which I admit pleases me, as frustrating as it is :p

POM: Federico Dimarco (9.0, 0G, 1A)

UEFA Champions League Group Stage - Game 4 - Legia Warszawa (Home)

Rotation for what should be a routine win against Legia today. Young right back Ivan Smith starts at left back ahead of Jorge Miguel, and another youth intake player in Christy Evans is on the bench. I’m hoping Dynamo Kyyiv can do us a favour and take points off Madrid for us.

It took just two minutes for us to hit the lead, Doebel chipping the ball to the back post where it was volleyed home by Fontaine.

Jurcik volleyed wide despite a gaping net from Fontaine’s 17th minute corner.

Sindelar was denied by a strong save in the 21st minute as we continued to pile on the pressure, my lightning fast wingers in particular wreaking havoc.

Jurcik had his goal in the 24th with a header from another Fontaine corner.

Fontaine put Sindelar through in the 28th minute with a sensational first time pass, but he couldn’t beat the keeper one on one.

Less than a minute later though the striker squared at the edge of the area, and Fontaine drilled it into the bottom corner for his second!

Fontaine then had his second assist as well in just the 34th minute with a corner from the other side, which found the back of the net via the head of Jurcik yet again!

In the 39th minute some brilliant passing eventually saw Nishimura send an angled ball to the back post where Sindelar turned it home from a yard out. Finally a striker scores!

I accidentally criticised the entire midfield five at half time, which understandably upset them all. Oops.

It didn’t stop Fontaine from completing his hat trick less than a minute after the restart though! He exchanged passes with Doebel before picking out Nishimura. The fullback’s angled return cross was redirected goalwards by a sliding defender, and would have either hit the post or gone into the bottom corner, but Fontaine got there first and converted for his third!

In the 55th minute Nishimura’s cross into the 6 yard box found Sindelar for a simple finish, but he blazed his volley over the bar!

Sindelar netted in the 63rd minute to make up for it, as Prins sent a cleared corner back in to him, and he cut inside onto his left foot and drilled it across the keeper into the bottom left.

Two minutes later Fontaine, who had a hand in an incredible 5 goals, departed to a richly deserved ovation, to be replaced by Amrani. Rodriguez shifted to the left wing.

In the 69th minute Evans and Jacobsen replaced Wanyama and Rodriguez.

Well I expected to win comfortably, but we obliterated to poor Poles today. Fontaine and Doebel were just unplayable, and were ably supported by the likes of Sindelar, Jurcik and Nishimura. Ivan Smith didn’t put a foot wrong in his first start for the club, and only his second appearance. Amazing to imagine how good Fontaine could be on that left wing one day, as he still doesn’t even have a positional rating for it. He had 3 goals, 2 assists and 13 key passes in 65 minutes, in an unfamiliar position! And the best news of all was that Dynamo did their bit, holding Real to a draw. Galatasaray and Feyenoord pulled off shock wins against Bayern and P$G respectively.

POM: Pascal Fontaine (9.8, 3G, 2A)

English Premier League - Game 11 - Fulham FC (Away)

Fontaine and Doebel keep their places on the wings against Fulham today after their spectacular showings against Legia. Hopefully they can cause similar panic in the Cottagers’ defence. Vietto starts up top looking to get back amongst the goals ahead of the International break, as he’s been dropped by Argentina. Jurcik continues in central defence due to Laporte’s suspension.

Dragowski made a goal-line save after Vazquez’s 5th minute cross took a nasty deflection off Jurcik. He then flung himself across to deny Mutô from point blank range off the rebound!

In the 13th minute Doebel turned and sent a fantastic ball down the right wing for Vietto. The striker put in a cross, and Gitschier leapt up to power a brilliant header past Zoet from the penalty spot!

20 seconds into the second half, Vietto embarked on an incredible weaving run to the penalty area, bamboozling both centre backs before laying off to Gitschier, who smoked it into the top corner!

In the 60th minute Chambers whipped a ball through the 6 yard box and Jenkinson slid in to knock it away from the feet of Fontaine, but Doebel rifled home the loose ball to make it three!

Jacobsen replaced Fontaine in the 70th minute.

Dimarco and Jurcik were replaced by Miguel and Nishimura in the 74th minute, with Chambers moving inside to central defence.

Zoet made an excellent save in the 79th minute after Doebel had cut back and unleashed a rocket with his left foot.

A comfortable road win as we look to put pressure on Chelsea at the top of the league. A brace from star man Gitschier saw him continue his exceptional form, whilst Vietto performed very well despite not scoring himself, laying on both of Gitschier’s strikes.

POM: Federico Dimarco (9.0, 0G, 0A)