Team GB Olympic squad

Jay Rodriguez and Gary Hooper are two that are miles ahead of Sordell.. Just two off the top of my head, there are many more.

Yea didn't think about them... Sordell was used a lot by Pearce for u21's wasn't he?

Scotland and Ireland shouldnt have been such pain in the backside, then it would have been a british team... not an English and Welsh

Pain in the ****? For not wanting our independence as an international side put in jeopardy?

Wasn't there open opposition from the SFA when it came to GB though? Maybe that had something to do with it

Hang on, the other three Nations didnt want anything to do with it. Only Wales then reluctantly gave in. Reap what they sow.

Welsh, Irish and Scottish Football Associations had major reservations about the idea after a FIFA official made Gordon Smith (our former head) aware that our independence as an international side would be put in question. This was later denied by FIFA.

Football associations had no way of stopping players from taking part, so there is no excuse. As far as I was aware, the Welsh didn't give any sort of approval.

I for one, was really excited about a Team GB but by excluding the Irish and Scots, what's the point?

Pain in the ****? For not wanting our independence as an international side put in jeopardy?

Welsh, Irish and Scottish Football Associations had major reservations about the idea after a FIFA official made Gordon Smith (our former head) aware that our independence as an international side would be put in question. This was later denied by FIFA.

Football associations had no way of stopping players from taking part, so there is no excuse. As far as I was aware, the Welsh didn't give any sort of approval.

I for one, was really excited about a Team GB but by excluding the Irish and Scots, what's the point?

The SFA spent years saying it didnt want to "threaten your independence" which FIFA denied would happen, even after that nations were still sceptical, it was still dead against it didnt want your players picked, and that it do their best to try and block its players getting called up if it was possible (though it turns out to be somewhat powerless), it objected to it in every single way. Wales came to the point where they were not entirely happy, but wouldn't try to stand in the way of a player going. The likes of Craig Brown came out and spoke overwhelmingly against it. It did its best to try and not have its players involved, and now they arent. Got what they wanted

The approach has probably cost them their players, which is a shame.

Last edited:
Spain's Olympic squad includes: De Gea, Javi Martinez, Muniain, Thiago, Mata, Alba, Tello, Isco.

Brazil's Olympics squad includes: Rafael; Rafael, Thiago Silva*, David Luiz, Marcelo; Sandro, Romulo; Lucas Moura, Oscar, Neymar; Pato.

Them two olympic squads are just a tad better than ours.......

The SFA spent years saying it didnt want to "threaten your independence" which FIFA denied would happen, even after that nations were still sceptical, it was still dead against it didnt want your players picked, and that it do their best to try and block its players getting called up if it was possible (though it turns out to be somewhat powerless), it objected to it in every single way. Wales came to the point where they were not entirely happy, but wouldn't try to stand in the way of a player going. The likes of Craig Brown came out and spoke overwhelmingly against it. It did its best to try and not have its players involved, and now they arent. Got what they wantedThe approach has probably cost them their players, which is a shame.

If that was really the case then there wouldn't have been Northern Irish or Scottish players on the shortlist.

Found it hilarious that Pearce was pretending not to know the nationality of the majority of his players.. Really don't understand why they alienated Scotland and N.I, especially when they insist on playing matches in Glasgow?

If that was really the case then there wouldn't have been Northern Irish or Scottish players on the shortlist.

Found it hilarious that Pearce was pretending not to know the nationality of the majority of his players.. Really don't understand why they alienated Scotland and N.I, especially when they insist on playing matches in Glasgow?

Alienated?

They didnt want to play, people kicked up a fuss about not wanting to be apart of it, and now they're not people are moaning

No-one to blame but themselves for not being included.

Can you not see the difference between England wanting everyone to play, and scotland and NI not? Thats why they were put on the shortlist, in the hope it would be sorted.

If you think they alientated them, you really should do the research, you'll find its quite the opposite.

Alienated?

They didnt want to play, people kicked up a fuss about not wanting to be apart of it, and now they're not people are moaning

Indeed, this didnt start with the English FA.

Alienated?

Actually, a large number of Scottish players stated their desire to play for team GB.

Alienated?They didnt want to play, people kicked up a fuss about not wanting to be apart of it, and now they're not people are moaningNo-one to blame but themselves for not being included.

Many Scottish and Northern Irish players wanted to be involved. Regardless of their FA's views. IMO, this isn't a Team GB, it's team England.

My point here is, don't choose Glasgow to host matches if you have no intention of selecting their players.. It's just stupid.

Can you not see the difference between England wanting everyone to play, and scotland and NI not? Thats why they were put on the shortlist, in the hope it would be sorted. If you think they alientated them, you really should do the research, you'll find its quite the opposite.

What? The countries FA had no decision over their players involvement, they all disapproved of a Team GB. The only reason Wales publicly announced that they had reluctantly accepted Bale, Giggs, & Ramsey's admission is probably because they were the only players from the three countries to have been offered a place in Team GB.

Pearce said he made his decisions purely on footballing reasons and that he didn't even know the nationalities of the majority of players selected. BS.

Actually, a large number of Scottish players stated their desire to play for team GB.

Im not talking about players, I'm talking about people further up who didn't like the idea... This basically made it impossible to pick the players..

Blame the SFA... The original plan was to have all countries participate

Many Scottish and Northern Irish players wanted to be involved. Regardless of their FA's views. IMO, this isn't a Team GB, it's team England.

My point here is, don't choose Glasgow to host matches if you have no intention of selecting their players.. It's just stupid.

What? The countries FA had no decision over their players involvement, they all disapproved of a Team GB. The only reason Wales publicly announced that they had reluctantly accepted Bale, Giggs, & Ramsey's admission is probably because they were the only players from the three countries to have been offered a place in Team GB.

Pearce said he made his decisions purely on footballing reasons and that he didn't even know the nationalities of the majority of players selected. BS.

Its basically a team England because you didn't want to participate.. The SFA objected to the idea all the way through, meaning if Pearce chose the players he would be going against the SFA, which would have caused probelms... Players were put on the short list in case SFA changed their stance. They didn't..

i honestly cannot see what your trying to prove, it's your FA's fault the reason your not participating! It's clear to see

Squad obviously pales in comparison to that of Brazil and Spain but a decent one nonetheless.

Sturridge had a good season with Chelsea and was really knocking in the goals at one point. Cleverely was great before he got injured. Scott Sinclair has done well for himself since he arrived in the EPL. Micah Richards is tank.

Hopefully we get a medal

Thats a load of nonsense. He said he wasnt viewing on nationalities, not that he didnt know. Also that isnt true, there are 5 welsh players in the 18. And there were another 5 in the 35. More important the SFA went out of its way to leading figures like Craig Brown to call the Scottish players who were interested "selfish".

They didnt have legal power, but they went as far as possible to make it as difficult as possible for players. Something that Neil Taylor of wales said. He said the FAs were putting players in very bad positions because they were making them feel like they were "betraying their respective countries". The players were keen, the FA's were not.

Team GB has always picked with the intention of having all players, hence why it had 187 people on teh shortshit. The others made it as hard as possible. Now the other two who kept it up, havent got players, and you blame the english? Bizarre.

As for your view on the stadium, picked well in advance to play all around regardless of selection. If people want someone to blame those three FAs for making the whole thing as difficult as possible.

Last edited:
Looking at this, the side should be a pacey posession based one, like to see Allen and Cleverley paired together.

Its basically a team England because you didn't want to participate.. The SFA objected to the idea all the way through, meaning if Pearce chose the players he would be going against the SFA, which would have caused probelms... Players were put on the short list in case SFA changed their stance. They didn't.. i honestly cannot see what your trying to prove, it's your FA's fault the reason your not participating! It's clear to see
I'm English.I'm only saying this because I'd rather see an actual Team GB rather than a team England.. Think we would have a much better chance with a mixture than the squad we have.
Thats a load of nonsense. He said he wasnt viewing on nationalities, not that he didnt know. Also that isnt true, there are 5 welsh players in the 18. And there were another 5 in the 35. More important the SFA went out of its way to leading figures like Craig Brown to call the Scottish players who were interested "selfish". They didnt have legal power, but they went as far as possible to make it as difficult as possible for players. Something that Neil Taylor of wales said. He said the FAs were putting players in very bad positions because they were making them feel like they were "betraying their respective countries". The players were keen, the FA's were not. Team GB has always picked with the intention of having all players, hence why it had 187 people on teh shortshit. The others made it as hard as possible. Now the other two who kept it up, havent got players, and you blame the english? Bizarre.As for your view on the stadium, picked well in advance to play all around regardless of selection. If people want someone to blame those three FAs for making the whole thing as difficult as possible.
In the press conference he said something along the lines of "I couldn't tell you the nationality of a lot of these guys, I just see them as British." - Watch it yourself if you don't believe me.Anyway, whatever.. I just find it strange that Pearce also said that all his decisions were footballing ones, and that nobody influenced his decision at all. If that was the case then he should have picked Scottish and Irish. Oh well.

I'm English.I'm only saying this because I'd rather see an actual Team GB rather than a team England.. Think we would have a much better chance with a mixture than the squad we have.In the press conference he said something along the lines of "I couldn't tell you the nationality of a lot of these guys, I just see them as British." - Watch it yourself if you don't believe me.Anyway, whatever.. I just find it strange that Pearce also said that all his decisions were footballing ones, and that nobody influenced his decision at all. If that was the case then he should have picked Scottish and Irish. Oh well.

If it was footballing reasons being Scottish or Northern Irish should have no influence.

Looking at this, the side should be a pacey posession based one, like to see Allen and Cleverley paired together.

Although there is not 'big names' there is a very good technical core to the squad.. A midfield three of Cleverly, Allen and Ramsey have all been brought up in this style of play..

Also people like caulker, Richards are defenders also used to this at their clubs.. What England did poorly imo is give the GK options after he received the ball.. Caulker will drop wider to give the GK options to retain the ball instead of pumping it upfield..

Quietly confident even though the big names are with the other teams

I'm English.I'm only saying this because I'd rather see an actual Team GB rather than a team England.. Think we would have a much better chance with a mixture than the squad we have.In the press conference he said something along the lines of "I couldn't tell you the nationality of a lot of these guys, I just see them as British." - Watch it yourself if you don't believe me.Anyway, whatever.. I just find it strange that Pearce also said that all his decisions were footballing ones, and that nobody influenced his decision at all. If that was the case then he should have picked Scottish and Irish. Oh well.

Several people have already said it but he couldn't pick Scots or N.Irish because the Scottish and N.Irish FAs did not allow their players for selection. The Welsh opposed any Welsh player being selected but said they would not stop any if they really wanted to play.

Well the blame lies only the with Scottish and N.Irish FA's.. they didnt want to take part, and now they are not.. Being honest i cant see many Scottish or Irish players actually better than the squad currently anyway..