Team GB Olympic squad

I had realised Evans was older, but he is realistically the only Northern Irish player that would improve the squad, and for me, Richards turned his back on his country. He doesn't deserve to participate in the Olympics.

And regarding that rule, I remember hearing it before the Euro's started, but I don't remember hearing the reasoning behind it? If Jordi Alba, Javi Martinez and Juan Mata can compete in both, why can't our boys?

We did it simply to give players a chance to play. And we cant punish Richards in Team GB for an England matter (unrelated, but shouldnt play the next two competitive games, give that to walker and johnson). Also there is fitness. The latter 3 will all get down time over the winter break, something we still dont have.

I have a feeling they're scared of the Managers.

yes, but this shouldn't happen. There really should be an independent medical team to assess player's injuries, because the number of players that withdraw on the instruction of their managers is ludicrous, and this is what they fear. I'm not too impressed that Bale has pulled out of this either, it's convenient that he has a back injury, something that is quite difficult to assess.

We did it simply to give players a chance to play. And we cant punish Richards in Team GB for an England matter (unrelated, but shouldnt play the next two competitive games, give that to walker and johnson). Also there is fitness. The latter 3 will all get down time over the winter break, something we still dont have.

Mata won't :p

yes, but this shouldn't happen. There really should be an independent medical team to assess player's injuries, because the number of players that withdraw on the instruction of their managers is ludicrous, and this is what they fear. I'm not too impressed that Bale has pulled out of this either, it's convenient that he has a back injury, something that is quite difficult to assess.

Bale has had a long standing issue, and in fairness to him he was the first outside England to put his hand up.

Simply because our managers dont want the players taking part who took part at euros.. no rest at all, tbh i wouldnt either

i would want my players fresh and fit for the prem season..

I was surprised that it was only made up of English and Welsh players! So much for a Great Britain team. Kyle Lafferty (NI) wouldve been an alright inclusion, even if it was just to get some diversity. Also, David Beckham kinda deserved to be in the team after all the work he did to get London the Olympics.

Would be good to see Rhodes or Hooper called up.. Maybe even Rodriguez. Personally think the first two should have been in the squad anyway.

I was surprised that it was only made up of English and Welsh players! So much for a Great Britain team. Kyle Lafferty (NI) wouldve been an alright inclusion, even if it was just to get some diversity. Also, David Beckham kinda deserved to be in the team after all the work he did to get London the Olympics.
been discussed on previous pages, it would have been a GB team had Scottish and Irish FA'S opposed to players getting called up.. On Beckham he did do alot, although surely you pick players on form and where they are playing.. And giggs, bellamy and richards all play in one of the best leagues in the world.. so i can understand both sides
Would be good to see Rhodes or Hooper called up.. Maybe even Rodriguez. Personally think the first two should have been in the squad anyway.

agreed.. Rhodes and Hooper would have been good but they couldnt be called up... Rodriguez i think deserved it alot more than Sordell!

agreed.. Rhodes and Hooper would have been good but they couldnt be called up... Rodriguez i think deserved it alot more than Sordell!

Why can't they be called up? Rhodes and Zaha are the two players being touted as Sturridge's replacement. Also, is Hooper too old? I thought he was young enough ):

Definitely, why Sordell was called up is beyond me..

Why can't they be called up? Rhodes and Zaha are the two players being touted as Sturridge's replacement. Also, is Hooper too old? I thought he was young enough ):

Definitely, why Sordell was called up is beyond me..

Hooper is 24, so would mean one of the overage dropping, and rhodes is scottish, and that comes back to the SFA problems...

Zaha or Rodriguez will be good replacements if needed, also Rhodes if we can get him

Hah indeed, and given that he played 47 games last season, be interesting to see how it affects him

To be fair though, he did have a decent(ish) break sitting on the Spanish Bench :p

But yeah we were over-reliant on him last season and thats why I mentioned we needed to get cover for him