• Views Views 9K

John Terry back as England captain?

• Yes

Votes: 72 44.7%
  • No

Votes: 89 55.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
so wait until the next one before you put the boot back into the side (A)

Well maybe I'm still annoyed at what I saw at the World Cup. If i'd had my way Capello would have gone after that disgrace.

I did watch it yes but come on.

England should be playing a lot better than that, it wasn't a great performance was it?

You expect what from an International friendly, away at a very good Danish side, exactly? We played some very nice football and some promising performances from new guys to the team.

I wouldn't mind John Terry back as captain of the England team. If he can lead Chelsea as well as he does at club level, then surely he can continue the trait into the national team. He is a naturally-born leader, and the way he commands the Blues from the back is something great to watch. His grit, determination and bravery can be described as the attributes of a captain.

However, there are other options. I could suggest Rio Ferdinand, but I don't want to sound biased. Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Ledley King - I wouldn't mind seeing Matthew Upson take on captaincy at one point. Or even Michael Dawson. The England team lacks leaders who are generally able to go on for another couple of tournaments without reaching that age when it is time to hang up their boots.

John Terry would be a good selection, albeit that there will be heavy criticism, but you can't deny his ability to lean the line.

You expect what from an International friendly, away at a very good Danish side, exactly? We played some very nice football and some promising performances from new guys to the team.

Granted the new guys did quite well and impressed me. I'm just fed up of some of the team seemingly not putting their whole effort into it.

Denmark are a very good side and it wasn't a bad match, just we all know that some players can play better than they have been for England.

I'll move on from the World Cup, now lets see how we do against Ghana. Anyone else think it'll be an interesting test? One which we have a very good chance of losing imo.

hes a good player but the england captain should be someone who kids can look up to and should be morraly standing and terry isnt that guy

I think Gerrard should be given it. He's performed exceptionally well when he's captained England, as well as being a key player. I think if he were given the captaincy, he could finally start to recreate his domestic form internationally on a consistent basis.

I don't see why he shouldn't be the England captain as he's a fantastic leader. His past doesn't bother me tbh and relieving the pressure of being England captain from Ferdinand could help with his recovery from injury.

Only being captain of England has any meaning to it. In lots of other countries they give it to the person with the most caps. By that theory Ashley Cole would be England captain.

For me I would still have Terry as el capitan.

I am not sure where we all get this illusion of greatness for the england team anyway, we have been fairly poor for around fifty years, and the majority of our players are not that good compared to other nations. I believe this has a lot to do with the current culture in england, i think a lot of kids these days would rather spend a day playing fifa, than playing football, where as in brazil that isnt an option.

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

Only being captain of England has any meaning to it. In lots of other countries they give it to the person with the most caps. By that theory Ashley Cole would be England captain.

For me I would still have Terry as el capitan.

Gerrard has more caps than cole i think.

I am not sure where we all get this illusion of greatness for the england team anyway, we have been fairly poor for around fifty years, and the majority of our players are not that good compared to other nations. I believe this has a lot to do with the current culture in england, i think a lot of kids these days would rather spend a day playing fifa, than playing football, where as in brazil that isnt an option.

---------- Post added at 02:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:13 AM ----------

Gerrard has more caps than cole i think.

Currently Cole-87 caps and Gerrard 89 caps.

Ever since Gerrard inspired LFC to FA cup glory single handidly, he should of been made England captain on the spot. We have had stupid managers who haven't chose him (McClaren) and a guy who drops him from vice captain to 3rd in line (Capello)!!

Cool thanks, Cole will probably overtake Gerrard then soon as he is injured again!

Yer most proberly mate. Cole will definatly reach 100caps but unfortunatly i dont think i can say the same for Stevie G, i hope he does though.

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 AM ----------

Ever since Gerrard inspired LFC to FA cup glory single handidly, he should of been made England captain on the spot. We have had stupid managers who haven't chose him (McClaren) and a guy who drops him from vice captain to 3rd in line (Capello)!!

That was amazing but im pretty sure he wasent captain that day?? Thats is my point Gerrard is as inspirational when he isent captain but Terry is much more inspirational when he is wearing that armband.

Yer most proberly mate. Cole will definatly reach 100caps but unfortunatly i dont think i can say the same for Stevie G, i hope he does though.

---------- Post added at 02:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 AM ----------

That was amazing but im pretty sure he wasent captain that day?? Thats is my point Gerrard is as inspirational when he isent captain but Terry is much more inspirational when he is wearing that armband.

he was captain that day in 06! he has 15 caps as captain for england, but i have no stats on how they performed. im not sure it really mater who has the armband, because players like Terry, Lampard, Gerrard are all leaders on the pitch anyway. Like how Carragher is at liverpool. he doesnt wear the armband often but he is a leader on the pitch.

he was captain that day in 06! he has 15 caps as captain for england, but i have no stats on how they performed. im not sure it really mater who has the armband, because players like Terry, Lampard, Gerrard are all leaders on the pitch anyway. Like how Carragher is at liverpool. he doesnt wear the armband often but he is a leader on the pitch.

Fair enough, wasent sure who was captain but thought it was Hyypia or Carragher but obviously i think your right as you would know lol. Yer i see where your coming from mate i do but obviously i have seen JT week in week out for nearly 10years now and the man thrives on wearing that armband.

Back