Great update ! Excellent Eredivisie results...
Poor UCL results...
Good luck in Europa League !
Bakkali is an amazing signing !
Keep it up !

Hi all,

Managed to now complete second season so as promised update will be posted to show where I am at and how I hope to move forward.

Different style and layout also likely.

Thanks,
toddzy

The 2 year update

As you will hopefully know if you followed this story when I first set off it was my aim to earn 40 Eredivisie titles with Ajax whilst also gaining that 5 Champions League trophy. Domestically I have been fantastic - not to blow my own trumpet too much.

I've secured back to back league titles, two Dutch Super Cups and one Dutch Cup.

View attachment 276778

My European adventure so far has now been all too successful as I've been knocked out at the group stages of the Champions League both years.

However, such feats have allowed me to move into the favoured personnel of Ajax - something I'm happy and proud of. See below;

View attachment 276797

- - -

The Squad

My squad nowadays has vastly changed to that you will have seen from earlier in my save. Whilst trying to keep the Dutch feel and bring youth players through I have also made some good signings whilst not losing too many of my major players.

View attachment 276794

What I do feel I have is a very good core/spine of the team. My goalkeeper hasn't changed in Jasper Cillessen. He has also managed to hand onto No.1 GK spot for the national team too. He's picked up two serious injuries over the course of the save so far which has resulted in Boer going in goals. He's ****** terrible. So this summer I purchased West Ham GK Adrian on a free as a backup to Jasper and possibly cup games against lower league opposition.

We move onto defense where I feel I have made a big stride. I secured the services of Thomas Vermaelen for €3milllion in the summer whilst also getting Bruno Martins Indi in January 2015. Furthermore, I signed Jeison Murillo when he was being poached by Juventus from Granada. He is currently my record signing. 3 strong backs make sense for my formations which I will also show. For full backs I still have Ricardo van Rhijn and also signed youngster Henrique for LB. Keeping Ricardo has been difficult as most windows a BPL team snoops for him.

Onto my midfield which now boasts a former Ajax player and one of my favourites - Nigel De Jong. Next to Davy Klaassen last season he was phenomenal. His toughness allowed Klaassen to push further forward which in turn allowed my captain to express his attacking prowess.

View attachment 276783

My captain is now worth just over €12million and I've had to fend off interest from Chelsea for him. I signed him to a new deal worth double his wages but I don't regret it that's for sure. I cannot wait to see how he gets on with the defense being a little stronger.

My midfield maestro in Lasse Schone from the first season ended up with him netting 30 league goals falling short of Memphis Depay's 34. He tore his groin in the summer of the second season and struggled to get in front of the on loan and exceptional Mo Salah from Chelsea. If I could have kept him I would have. Now worth €31million in game.

Finally, my forwards. I'm not one for signing wonderkids but the opportunity arose to sign Gabriel Barbosa I snatched at it. It's the first time I've signed him and he arrived in January 2016 so he's had half a season with us so far. I must say he is an exceptional talent and he's thrilling to have playing on the right hand side of Zivkovic.

View attachment 276781

Onto the mentioned striker above - Zivkovic. You'll remember from my earlier posts he was keeping Moussa Sow out of the squad (who left for PSV to replace Depay by the way). My youngster just kept firing and last season seen him net an impressive 45 goals in all competitions which included 33 in the league where he was top scorer. I signed him to a new deal in the summer after a €35million bid was rebuffed from Liverpool. His contract now includes a €55million release clause. I pray I don't lose him.

View attachment 276779

- - -

Tactics

My tactic last season turned into a bold 3-4-3 which produced so many goals and most teams couldn't deal with how many players I was pouring forward. The mistake I made was I just kept trying this formation in Europe too. So, although my group was difficult enough with Juventus and Bayern in it my tactical naivety did not help. I've came back this season with a new formation to play alongside my 3-4-3 - you can find them both below;

View attachment 276777 View attachment 276776

- - -

2016/2017 Expectations

No real change apart from the board's now increased attempt to showcase or talent in Europe by reaching the QFs of the Champions League.

View attachment 276775

- - -

I will now keep on top of this a lot more and provide greater feedback and better updates as this has been a great save for me, one which I am looking to convey via FM Base.

The hunt for European Glory continues.

toddzy

Really nice update man! You have made some nice signings. Look forward to regular updates :)

big_Afc%20Ajax01.gif

July 2016 Update

Two matches as usual in the month of July for us. One being the Dutch Super Cup and other being the opening fixture of the Eredivisie which I am excited to get under way again. I've also mentioned before but I love to play in the Super Cup too. It's a great start to the season and another opportunity to get a piece of silverware in our cabinets.

Super%20Cup.png

We enjoy another win and that makes 3/3 for me which I am again delighted with. However, as I said in my post match team talk we need to play a lot better in the bigger games as over thirty shots without one goal really is not good enough. All of our penalties were brilliantly converted with Donny Van de Beek netting the all important winner. He looks to be turning into a real player and already my heir to Davy Klaassen's throne should he leave soon.

1st%20League%20Game.png

Great start to the Eredivisie with this convincing 3-1 victory away from home. Victor Fischer had a stormer and set up Alvaro Morata's first goal for the club. The Spaniard led the line in the absence of Zivkovic who is on International duty with Holland. Fischer then joined in the fun by netting the important second. He's playing just of Morata as a false nine at the moment and really taking it in his stride. Despite Dordrecht getting a goal back it was a convincing win matched by a lovely freekick at the end from Lasse Schone. Playing in CM at the moment due to players being on International duty he is certainly making a claim for a regular place. Very efficient on the ball.

On another note I feel two years at Ajax have been quite rewarding as I am offered my first interview for another club - coming in the shape of Everton.

I declined the interview but was happy to receive the offer.

Everton.png

That concludes what is a quick update for July. No notable transfers in or out as the squad looks nicely balanced at the moment. To help with rotation this season I've promoted some youngsters from the Jong Ajax side and also the Under 19's.

Header.png

Ajax confirm capture of Marouane Fellaini for season loan

View attachment 276454

Ajax are today delighted to announce the arrival or Belgian international midfielder Marouane Fellaini on loan until the end of the 2016-2017 season. There is currently no deal in place to to make the deal permanent when the loan is due to expire. Furthermore, his wages will be covered by Manchester United with Ajax paying a monthly fee to have him at the Amsterdam ArenA.

Standing at a humble 6"5inches tall Fellaini boasts a great physical frame which over the years has made him extremely difficult to play against in an advanced position further on in the field. It is understood that manager Craig Todd wanted to add a further bit of physicality to match that of De Jong should the latter become injured or suspended.

Craig Todd had this to say on his new man;

Craig Todd said:
Marouane boasts a great deal of experience and adds to what could be considered quite a young squad as it is.

He is currently only 28 years of age and I feel he will fit in perfectly here to provide cover and hopefully push on into the first team in Nigel's (De Jong) absence.

I'd also like to see how he competes for places with Donny (Van de Beek) who has been exceptional recently. Some promising times ahead.

Currently Fellaini proudly holds 80 caps for his country whilst also netting 15 goals.

Marouane Fellaini had this to say on his move;

Marouane Fellaini said:
I'm happy to achieve a move to a great club like Ajax and work with a great attacking coach in Craig.

Hopefully this can allow me to springboard to greater things either back in Manchester, here at Ajax or at another great club in Europe.

For more updates on the Ajax first team please feel free to like our Facebook page or follow one of our official twitter pages.

Last edited:
Eredivisie Matchday 2 ~ Ajax 3-1 NAC Breda

Another great victory at home for my side as we brush aside NAC Breda 3-1. Even more impressive was Victor Fischer’s hat trick as he continued his good form in front of goal.

As mentioned in previous posts I am using a 3-4-3 at home which is dominating the opposition. So, on that note it’s a little frustrating that we only scored 3 goals from 39 goals.

Nonetheless, we move onto our next game against FC Zwolle with confidence.

Last edited:
Eredivisie Matchday 3

We move forward with confidence in another win for the my side this time away to FC Zwolle. We deployed the 5-2-3 formation to our advantage which in this instance utilised Ricardo van Rhijn down the right hand side.

The highlight for me was the second goal which stemmed from a corner to our opposition. Breaking to Nigel De Jong on the edge of our penalty area he quickly played the ball out wide to van Rhijn who ghosted down the line before finding a delightful follow up run from De Jong to net our second.

Another sweeping finish from Victor Fischer sees him keep his place as our left sided striker. This time curling one into the top corner.

We certainly didn't dominate this game, not by any stretch. But, when it mattered we took our chances and that's the most important thing.

Next fixture sees us play Feyernoord in De Klassieker derby at the Amsterdam ArenA.

- - -

On a side note - does anybody know how to make my attachments a bit larger once attached to the post? They seem very small and require you to click on them to get a better picture. Thanks...

Last edited:
Nice updates mate, looking good so far! Have any teams become better/worse in Holland? To change the size of attachments just double click them, and you get a few options for size :)

Nice updates mate, looking good so far! Have any teams become better/worse in Holland? To change the size of attachments just double click them, and you get a few options for size :)

Thanks buddy.

Nobody of particular note. The only side I find have progressed are FC Utrecht whilst AZ have really went for it so far in the summer this year spending a few bob.

Domestically I don't think I will be pipped for a while whilst it remains like this.

Eredivisie Matchday 4

What a day and what a result. Is there anything better than getting one over your rivals? It makes it all that much sweeter when it is such an emphatic win like it was in this case.

The setup up of 3-4-3 again gave us great purpose in the final third and we started excellently when Juan Manual Martinez gave us the lead. Schone doubled it before Toornstra scored one of the potential for goals of the month with an absolute rocket into the top corner of the net. I currently have my scouts keeping a closer eye on the Feyernoord captain although the thought of signing from a rival club would like upset fans.

Donny Van de Beek getting on the scoresheet was the icing on the cake for me. I love having him play in CM right he's coming onto a great game already at 19 years of age. After 4 games he has 1 goal and 3 assists to his name.

View attachment 276226
Donny Van de Beek

Morata adding our 5th was aso a welcome addition.

Our next fixture would against Telstar at the Amsterdam ArenA followed by PSV away.

Last edited:
Champions League Group Stage Draw

Not the group I hoped to get at all. This is going to make it even more difficult to try and get to the quarter finals. But, what I am more than prepared to do on occasions away from home is to play my contain tactic.

My current aim is to try and sneak a point at Juventus Stadium and also the Nou Camp. Furthermore, when hosting Liverpool I will go 3-4-3 and try and get a vital 3 points. I will also look to try and control game at Anfield although will not play 3-4-3.

What gives me a small piece of hope is knowing that these teams will take strange results from one another - which we can only pray allows me to qualify.

Last edited:
Wow man really tough group! I believe in Ajax though XD

Eredivisie Matchday 5

Really great victory at home in front of our fans as over 50,000 turned out to see the emphatic 5-0 victory. Pleasing to have Davy Klaassen and Zivkovic back who had been on international duty and picked up little niggles.

Furthermore, they both got on the scoresheet which is exactly what I wanted to see. Donny Van de Beek keeping up his rich vein of form whilst also keeping De Jong out of the side. Currently experiencing a problem as my tactic uses one CM as a DLP in support and a DWM as support. Currently I have Klaassen and Van de Beek who I would play as the DLP but with my youngster playing so well it's currently prevented De Jong from starting a game. I doubt it'll be long before he pipes up.

Bruno Martins Indi getting a second yellow was disappointing. Tweak on tactic required as I've already had two red cards this season which isn't good enough. I like my players to get into the faces of the opposition mind you.

Final league game of the month sees us travel to Eindhoven to play against closest rivals in the league PSV which is always a tricky game. August summary to follow thereafter with analysis of August transfers, league standing and other note worthy news.

Last edited: