The Alfa Romeo Metaphor

have loved and followed this story since day one!!! so with this latest run in with mr ali g, does enrico see a future in London or a move elsewhere? with or without gwen? and if she loved abroad so much what could happen?

have loved and followed this story since day one!!! so with this latest run in with mr ali g, does enrico see a future in London or a move elsewhere? with or without gwen? and if she loved abroad so much what could happen?

Wanpablo23,

Thanks and I'm glad you've enjoyed yourself.

Enrico is a young manager so who know's what will happen next. Enrico speak English, Italian and Spanish so he's amenable to coaching in any of these countries. In the life of football, you never know what will happen next. Unlike with Ana Maria, Gwen is willing and able to move wherever. Although if Enrico ended up at some club in a tiny town in the middle of nowhere, I could see Gwen not going.

Stay tuned ...

Once again as I walked out to my car, I saw people standing next to it. This time it was two figures. As i got closer, I saw they were wearing Wimbledon shirts.

"Evening, Gaffer," the first one said.

"Govnah," the second one said.

"What's up, guys?" I asked.

"This is the first ever Womble Watch," the first one said. "We understand you've been threatened so we've taken it upon ourselves to organize a watch."

"You ... how ... um ... whu?" I spluttered.

"Listen, Gov," the second one said. "We heard. We know. It'll be fine now that we're on the job. A decent sized lot of Wombles are in law enforcement. A number of us are ex-military. I was an MP, as an example. After all that you've done for this club, I'm not having some east side ****** harassing you over some imaginary debt."

I just stood there with my jaw on my chest, gawping at them.

"Just so you know," he continued. "There'll be someone posted at your flat when you're there. Even overnight. At training. Watching your car during matches."

"We got your back, Gaffer," the first one said.

"I'm at a loss for words," I finally spit out. "Seriously, I ... um ..."

"Listen," the second one said. "We know the club can't afford a security service. Since so much of the club is driven by volunteers, why not a security detail when some hoodlums have threatened the manager?"

"I can't have any, I can't let any of you put yourselves in harm's way because of these ***holes," I said.

"Don't worry about that, Gov," the second one said. "Our most important weapon is the cell phone."

"Well, I'm eternally grateful," I said. "I realize that it's a cliche to say that your club has the greatest supporters, but fkn A you guys are the best."

And I drove off with these two gentleman following me.

Wimbledon Cup Third Place: AFC Wimbledon v. Tottenham Hotspur FC

View attachment 362327I'm out of fit first-team players in several positions. After yesterday's 20 minutes, Jon Whitney said Leandro is fine and could make another 20-30 minute cameo today. So teens Dyson Joseph and Darren Robertson get starts and Andy Frampton plays.

GK: Daniel Lincoln
D: Cameron Dummigan, Andy Frampton, Martin Riley, Jim Fenlon
CM: Mark Tomlinson, Daniel Barlaser
AM: Dyson Joseph (R), Darren Robertson (C), Matteo Nole (L)
F: Michael Smith

We held Spurs for quite a while. At nearly the instant I thought to myself that we might just be able make it to half time scoreless, Spurs smashed two past Lincoln.

Then just as suddenly, Spurs left Martin Riley free at the near post and a smashed home a volley to make the score look respectable.

I was contemplating my team talk and there was seconds before the halftime whistle when Darren Robertson dropped a cross over Younes Kaboul's head. Michael Smith controlled it perfectly on his chest and brought down to the other side of Kaboul who was desperately trying to recover.

Michael evened up the score with a hammer blow of a strike.

Cameron Dummigan gave away a penalty in the second half, but substitute Daniel Barlaser blew past Danny Rose and whipped in delicious cross to the back post.

Matteo Nole was pulling back his left foot and tightening his ankle up to redirect the cross into the back of the net when Kyle Naughton came flying in and put into his own net.

Poor Matteo. Despite this just being a friendly, Matteo hadn't scored a goal against decent competition.

But the bottom line, is we'd played fkn Tottenham fkn Hotspur to a high-scoring draw then beat them on penalties. While I'll concede that Andrea Villas Boas hadn't put out his first-teamers against us, just a couple of his reserves would deliver the League One title for us.

I'm very proud of my players.

View attachment 362306After all the TV cameras and excitement, we traveled across the south end of greater Metropolitan London to face Bromley. The Lilywhites play in a stadium the same size as ours.

The players were not up for it and it was a pretty sad performance. At least their reaction to my unhappiness about their performance was encouraging.

We'll see how this pans out when we play Blackburn this Friday.

Wimbledon Challenge Semi-Final: AFC Wimbledon v. Blackburn Rovers FC

View attachment 362159The stands were pretty empty for our Blackburn match. I guess they're not the biggest draw. we had to work hard against them. They pinned us in our end for long periods of time. Okay, nearly the whole match. We occasionally broke on the counter attack. This was an excellent work-out for our defense.

Daniel Lincoln was awesome! Spectacular saves and two saves in the penalty shoot-out.

D: Cameron Dummigan, Martin Riley, Andy Frampton, Jim Fenlon
AM: Jason Banton (R), Leandro Depetris (C), Dylan Griffiths (L)

In the late match, Aston Villa beat Chelsea 1-0 on a 59th minute goal from Marc Albrighton. Also, it was a sell-out.

Wimbledon Challenge Final: AFC Wimbledon v. Aston Villa FC

View attachment 362072Chelsea beat Blackburn in the Third Place match 2-0 in front of a sell-out. And it's a sell-out for the evening show, too. I'm chuffed. I love that word. Pleased, delighted. The connotation of self-importance in a stick-you-chest-out sort of way. I totally feel that way because I'm pulling in some serious cash for the club.

GK: Chris Dunn
D: Brad Smith, Andrea Sbraga, Manny Smith, Kris Thackray
CM: Steven Gregory, Mark Byrne
AM: George Francomb (R), Darren Robertson (C), Matteo Nole (L)
F: James Loveridge

In the 29th minute, George Francomb hit a back post cross for Lovers. Lovers almost got to it, too. But Lovers had to stop running else he be entangled in the net. I'm sure George tried to score from 40 yards out on the touchline. Teen Darren Robertson hurt himself just before halftime so on went Leandro Depetris.

The goal was one of our rare forays into the Villan half. Less so in the second half when the Villans pummeled us in search of the equalizer. It's funny how defense comes together before offense. We did a valiant job of holding them at bay. When they created a chance or found an opening, their timing was off. Except Gary Gardner's goal, Dunn stood tall and gave them little to shoot at.

Ron Vlaar missed the first penalty kick and we made our three four. Then the Smiths missed both of theirs. Brad and Manny to be more specific.

Regardless, the club has made some serious cash, my defense has gotten some great work-outs and we got to practice penalties in the best way possible.

Friendly: AFC Wimbledon v. Fulham FC

View attachment 362048Not much rest before the Cottager's bus rolled up to Kingsmeadow. I just figure that everybody will get 45 minutes. Except Jason Banton; he complained after Friday's match of a sore knee. It got worse overnight so Jon Whitney is project he'll be out two or three weeks. Thankfully, Leandro is back and up to full fitness now so he can slot into the central attacking midfield role.

This is probably my starting line-up to kick off the season when we visit Peterborough in just under two weeks.

D: Cameron Dummigan, Andrea Sbraga, Manny Smith, Jim Fenlon
AM: George Francomb (R), Leandro Depetris (C), Matteo Nole (L)

Of course since Jason is out injured, Leandro started limping in the 7th minute then tipped over clutching his thigh in the 8th minute. Whits got him up and running with some freezy spray, magic sponge and a compression bandage but in the 20th minute he signaled he couldn't go on.

So I sent on James Loveridge with instruction to come deep to get the ball and run with it. More or less like a withdrawn forward like he's used to playing.

Despite having some really skillful and creative players like Dimitar Berbatov and Askan Dejagah, Fulham were pretty slow and sloppy. This is okay for them as they have a month until the Prem season starts. We were able to keep this match at a stalemate until the 65th minute when Dejagah ripped us apart with a brilliant 50 yard pass up to Dame N'Doye. N'Doye easily rounded Lincoln to score.

I figured the floodgates would open at this point. I was wrong.

Like previous matches against top sides, we started working them over in the last 15 minutes.

A minute into stoppage time, substitute Brad Smith threw the ball from deep in the Fulham end to substitute Darren Robertson who played it right back to him. Brad passed square to substitute Mark Byrne. Byrne played a poor, medicine-ball type pass square to Steven Gregory, another substitute. Luckily, Gregs was first to the ball and one-timed a pass up to Michael Smith. Michael spun on Cottage prospect Dennis Wood and blistered a shot off their teenage keeper and into the net.

"That wasn't great, that wasn't bad, what are your thoughts?" I asked my coaching staff after the match.

"Mark Byrne's passing concerns me a bit," Matt Woolley said.

"Yeah, he's not reading the game very well at all," added Tactics Coach Alex Inglethorpe.

"Is it something you can correct?" I asked. They both shrugged in a I'm-not-so-sure sort of way.

"Well, Wools and I have been working with him on making the short simple pass," Alex replied.

"Like get the ball to Matteo or Leandro or play it square or back so that we maintain possession," Wools added. "But ..."

"I'm not sure if he's your man to back up Danny Boy," Alex interjected.

"Okay, so I'll start looking for a loan option," I replied. "We can't afford to buy anyone."

"And I want to talk about Loveridge," Assistant Manager Sean Hankin said. "Mainly about his work ethic."

"Or lack thereof," added Fitness Coach Dave Wilson. "He should be improving his quickness and his top speed. Other lads his age and at his stage of physiological development should be improving. Maybe the tell-tale sign is his endurance. It's still the same as this time last year."

"Also," added Ball Control and Technique Coach Brian Carey. "I'm pretty sure he's not really all that happy with the extra training you've asked him to do on rounding the keeper."

"Yeah," Wools added. "Getting him to work on placing his shots last year was like pulling teeth."

"Hmmm, thanks for the input," I said. "I was worried last December and January when he got into a scoring slump that he'd never pull out. Most strikers try to work hard to get out of their slump. But not Lovers. I wasn't going to offer him an extension if he didn't turn it around. Obviously, he did but you guys are right. He doesn't have the work ethic. I guess that really leaves an open door to Dylan Griffiths and Jason Banton doesn't it."

Tuesday, 21 July 2015 11:30AM

"This is Andy."

"Paul here."

"Thanks for calling in on such short notice, guys," I said. I'd arranged for a conference call with my scouts Paul Lowe, Andrew Walker and Lil Fuccillo. Lil was sitting next to me.

"I'm not all that happy with my back-up for Daniel Barlaser, Mark Byrne," I said. "Furthermore, I could use a third option to play in the central attacking midfield slot. I envision Jason Banton will either be busy filling in for Matteo Nole or George Frampton or he may even steal their spots in the starting eleven. Furthermore, we all know Leandro is injury prone."

"So you need a playmaker comfortable in either a supporting or attacking role," Lil restated.

"Yup," I replied. "What you guys got for me?"

"Loan signing, huh?" Andy said. "Well, Forest have an Austrian kid Sinan Bytyqi, bee why tee why queue eye. With roots in Albania. They want to loan him out to get experience. He's fast but nothing remarkable."

"Brighton have a lad Solly March," Paul said. "Well, but he's mainly a winger. He could be converted, but ..."

"Sunderland have George Honeyman listed," Andy said. "You've seen him play, right, Paul? He's alright. Not that much of a passer, though."

"Yeah," Paul replied. "Not much of a passer."

"Would you be opposed to bringing in another Italian lad?" Lil asked. "We have several promising possibilities there."

"Um, sure, why not?" I replied.

"You should watch some videos of a lad in the Roma system, Matteo Ricci," Lil said. "He can use either foot, he's fast, determined, decent enough passer and we can probably afford him. He's on the equivalent of 600 pounds per week and Roma would want us to cover half. I'm guessing Erik would let you get away with adding this trivial amount to your already bloated wage bill."

"Okay, thanks," I said. "Keep thinking of other options, guys. I'll be in touch."

Wednesday, 22 July 2015 8ish in the evening

I think I'd seen enough of Matteo Ricci playing for Bari in Serie B last season. He's got enough flair and creativity for me. He's faster than Leandro and has only missed two matches last season. Furthermore, his contract ends next summer so if he kicks **** for us, I'll sign him on a free next summer.

I emailed the Director of Football at Roma with an offer for the whole season and to pay 300 pounds or half of Matteo's 625 Euro per week salary. Here's what I'd be getting if Roma and Matteo agree:

View attachment 362023

fantastic cant wait!!! love where enrico and gwen could end up or even if maria will find you again??

Thursday, 23 July 2015 9am-ish

I was reading my email from Roma's Director of Football sanctioning Matteo Ricci's season-long loan when my phone jangled on the table next to me. I didn't recognize the number, but it was a Roman area code.

"Ciao, Enrico."

"Ciao, this is Matteo Ricci."

"Hey, thanks for calling. I'm guessing you've just talked with Walter."

"Yes, he called," Matteo replied. "I was expecting to go out on loan but never to London."

"Well, are you willing to consider it?" I asked.

"I guess I am willing to listen," he replied. "You've already got some guys who speak Italian, right?"

"Yes, you'd be the sixth," I replied. "Three players, my Chief Scout and, of course, me. Also, there are a number of acceptable restaurants that will fill your need for home cooking somewhat. As a club, we've just won promotion into the equivalent of C1 and I need first-team player to cover at center midfield and attacking midfield. The fact that you can also play either wing also helps you're chances of getting playing time."

"We play a 4231 so you would be competing with six guys for four spots," I continued. "And my main central play-maker is really injury-prone."

"What part of London are you in?" he asked.

"Kingston-Upon-Thames is where our stadium is until our new one opens for next campaign," I replied. "It's in the southwest but our new home is just a few kilometers to the east."

"Why should I want to spend the season with your club?" he asked.

"First, we're a very young squad," I replied. "Youngest in our league, actually. Secondly, we've climbed six leagues since we were founded in 2002. The owners moved the club and the fans formed this club."

"What? Really? That's completely insane!"

"I know. This would never happen in Italy. They were Norwegian and couldn't get a new stadium. We'll actually play that club (they're called MK Dons after the town of Milton Keynes) this season. AFC Wimbledon got the name and the FA Cup trophy they won back in 1989 back."

"Wait, I've heard of this club. Vinnie Jonesa? The Crazy Gang?"

"Yes, the Crazy Gang also climbed up the leagues and were a founding member of the Premier League in 1992. The third reason you should join us sounds rather perverse, but it epitomizes our fighting spirit; we were supposed to be fighting relegation last season but we won the League. This season everyone says we'll be fighting relegation and I intend to bring in players who are driven and fast and spirited to prove that all the pundits are just a bunch of fat, old out-of-touch *******s."

"You had me at Vinnie Jones," Matteo exclaimed. "I'll see you in a few days."

"Excellent," I replied. "We play Friday and Saturday night. If you want to play twice in two days, your competition for the central attacking midfield spots are both hurt right now."

"Then I'll see you tomorrow morning! Ciao."

Wimbledon Summer Special Semi-Final: AFC Wimbledon v. R. Standard de Liege

View attachment 361926Velez Sarsfield beat Estudiantes on penalties after a 0-0 draw in front of a sold-out Kingsmeadow. Few stuck around to see us play Standard Liege. Just as well. We got smoked.

GK: Chris Dunn
D: Brad Smith, Martin Riley, Andy Frampton, Kris Thakray
AM: George Francomb (R), Matteo Ricci (C), Matteo Nole (L)

Brad Smith had a particularly disconcerting performance. His mark, Jonathan Brison, had an awesome game and seemed to be able to lose Brad at will. It wasn't so much that Brison got open it's how far away Brad was when Brison was scoring.

At least Martin Riley made up for gifting Igor de Camargo the opening goal by scoring from a corner.

Ricci looked good. He gave me 65 minutes which is more than enough until he builds up his fitness.

Wimbledon Summer Special Semi-Final: AFC Wimbledon v. Estudientes de la Plata

View attachment 361779Turnout was better for our third place match against Estudientes, Kingsmeadow was about half full.

I had to start the kids Dyson Joseph and Darren Robertson because Leandro and Jason are still injured.

D: Cameron Dummigan, Andrea Sbraga, Manny Smith, Jim Fenlon
CM: Steven Gregory, Mark Byrne
AM: Dyson Joseph (R), Darren Robertson (C), Dylan Griffiths (L)
F: James Loveridge

Mark Byrne had a bad game. He couldn't keep the ball and often just hoofed it somewhere. Combined with have three teenagers at the Attacking Midfield positions and we were pinned in our half for the first half.

At halftime I sent on Matteo Ricci and George Francomb for the two teens Robertson and Joseph. That changed the match. It got even better on the hour mark when I sent on Daniel Barlaser for Byrne.

Their goal in the 67th was actual against the run of play. In the 70th minute, Fenlon threw it in to Barlaser who played it over to Gregs who played it up to Ricci. Ricci spun and placed his shot nicely into the top corner.

Loveridge's tying goal was also satisfying. Danny Boy played Lovers in and Lovers paused, freezing the goalkeeper then spanked a shot past him.

8 guys got to practice taking a penalty, that's always good. The screenshot doesn't show it but Sbraga and Frampton also converted their spot kicks. The only miss for either team was Cameron Dummigan.

Another sell-out crowd watched Standard Liege defeat Velez Sarsfield 3-2 in the evening match.

Top work Enrico. Ricci looks a great signing. :D

Thanks. Ricci will push Daniel Barlaser and Leandro Depetris. He could also fill in at either wing. This also frees up Jason Banton to play wing and as back-up striker.

Back