The Anfield Saga

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 79K
Status
Not open for further replies.
On the plus side of the point deduction, if it does go through and we love 9 points, the takeover of NESV would be cheaper for them.

Come on, just one push now before we get those ******* tools out of LFC.

_49425257_anfield2.jpg

Any takers?

Anyone going down to the High Court on Monday? Would be nice, but school comes first (I guess...)
Will be waiting anxiously, to say the least.

Liverpool chairman tells of administration fears

Harry Harris, Football Correspondent

Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton has told ESPNsoccernet that administration and the docking of nine points is a frightening possibility that he is desperately fighting to avoid.

Speaking from Washington, he talked candidly about the threat of administration on Liverpool. With the Royal Bank of Scotland's deadline for the repayment of £237 million looming on October 15, a Liverpool civil war will take place in the High Court just days before the banks can foreclose on Tom Hicks and George Gillett with the option of taking control of the club or putting it into administration.

Broughton told ESPNsoccernet: "It could happen, yes. This is all part of why it is important that we made the decision on Tuesday to accept one or the other of the two very acceptable bids. Heading for administration was a very likely outcome if we didn't."

"Even now with the court case looming, administration cannot be ruled out," Broughton confessed. "It is not inevitable, and I am not going to start giving percentages of how much it is possible. That is why we are going to court to clarify our position on the sale of the club, and we have to win in court, and we will win in court."

When Broughton was reminded that it isn't just Liverpool fans who want to see the club survive, and the whole of football would mourn once-mighty Liverpool, one of the global brands in the game, he responded: "Yes, I agree with you. Yes, this is about Liverpool, but it is also about football, not just Liverpool, and all of football would want to see Liverpool in a healthy state. Yes I am confident that we shall succeed, but lawyers are always confident - on both sides."

The impact of administration is not lost on Broughton. He said: "Going into administration needs to be avoided at all costs, as the negative impact would be catastrophic. Setting aside the nine-point deduction, it would have an impact on Liverpool's value and be wide open to predators, whereas we have what we believe is the right new owners to take the club forward."

With a court case looming, the legal team backing Liverpool have advised Broughton to be circumspect about what he says about Hicks and Gillett.

However, Hicks' public declaration that he had not given any undertaking to Broughton about the constitution of the Board and the sale process will be central to the court case. Clearly, Broughton's argument is that an undertaking was given to the Royal Bank of Scotland as part of the agreement to increase the facility for the loan

Broughton said: "If an obligation is given to RBS as part of the agreement then an obligation has been given to the major creditor and one would expect that to be honoured."

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=830852&sec=england&cc=5739

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:42 PM ----------

A fair Kop?
by Bernd Ratzke

Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton seems to have finally found a viable bid for the club. But do shareholders Tom Hicks and George Gillett have the power to block the deal? Legal expert Bernd Ratzke discusses the likely outcome of next week's High Court challenge

Liverpool FC co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett have a tough battle on their hands. The American duo, shareholders of Kop Football (Holdings) Limited, will take their case to the High Court next week in an attempt to force the board to abandon its plans to sell the football club to New England Sports Ventures (NESV). Hicks and Gillett are unhappy with the £300m offer on the table from NESV, which would represent a loss of around £140m on their original investment, once the Royal Bank of Scotland, the principal creditor, has been paid.

Although they are the major shareholders, Hicks and Gillett are outnumbered on the board, which voted in favour of selling the football club. On Wednesday, Hicks and Gillett tried to reverse that decision by attempting to sack managing director Christian Purslow and commercial director Ian Ayre.

On the face of it, the Liverpool board, chaired by Martin Broughton, is acting correctly. Kop Football (Holdings) Limited is deeply indebted to the Royal Bank of Scotland, which holds a legal charge over the shares in the football club. The bank has now demanded repayment of its facilities and has set a deadline after which it will exercise its security. That deadline offers Hicks and Gillett very little room for manoeuvre.

The board’s legal obligations are clear. It must follow whatever course of action is most likely to see Kop Football (Holdings) Limited’s creditors repaid and, once they have been dealt with, to account for any residual value to its shareholders. That the residual value of Liverpool FC amounts to a loss doesn’t alter the board’s duty.

The bank has made clear its intention to exercise its security if its facilities are not repaid by the deadline. For the football club, that would mean going into administration. Under FA rules, administration brings with it a points penalty that would threaten the club’s Premier League survival, thus putting at risk a valuable revenue stream and no doubt significant sponsor support. If relegated, the value of the club would be severely diminished.

The trick therefore is to keep the club playing and to sell it as a going concern. The way to do that is to sell the subsidiary through which the club is operated for cash and to pay off the bank, with any balance being left in Kop Football (Holdings) Limited for the shareholders. There is no question here of the company being sold off without Hicks and Gillett’s consent. What is happening is that the board are converting Kop Football (Holdings) Limited’s major asset into cash. The shareholders will get whatever is left. If that represents a loss, it merely reflects the poor performance of the company in which they chose to invest.

So will the High Court halt the board’s current plans? It seems unlikely. Section 172 of the Companies Act 2006 lays down a general duty—so far untested in the courts—for each of the directors to act “in the way he considers, in good faith, would be most likely to promote the success of the company for the benefit of its members as a whole”.

The section goes on to lay down six further criteria: 1) The likely consequences of any decision in the long term 2) The interests of employees 3) The need to foster good relationships with suppliers and customers 4) The impact of the company’s operations on the community and the environment 5) The desirability of the company maintaining a reputation for high standards of business conduct and 6) The need to act fairly as between members of the company. It’s important to note that the duties prescribed in Section 172 are owed by the directors to the company, not its shareholders.

Hicks and Gillett face at least two hurdles. First, in appropriate circumstances, the duties owed to the company under Section 172 become duties owed to creditors. Assuming administration is inevitable in the event of the company being unable to meet its obligations to RBS, it is hard to see why the interests of creditors would not prevail.

Additionally, a sale of the football club as a going concern seems more likely to safeguard the interests of its employees than a break-up. Although Hicks and Gillette could argue that the holding company itself has no employees whose interests need to be considered. In addition, loyal fans might also take the wider view that new owners would do much to enhance the football club’s prospects.

There are two further arguments to consider. It is not for the courts to make decisions that fall within the remit of company directors. So long as a director has acted reasonably, having considered all relevant factors, any decision he or she takes will be justified. It is irrelevant whether that decision proves right or wrong. What matters is that directors reach decisions for which they are willing to be accountable. This appears to be the case with the board of Kop Football (Holdings) Limited, which has taken plenty of advice and is quite willing to stand by its decision.

Earlier this year, binding undertakings not to change the composition of the board were demanded from Hicks and Gillett when RBS agreed temporarily to extend its facilities to Kop Football (Holdings) Limited, so attempts to oust Purslow and Ayre from their executive roles are unlikely to succeed. It rather looks as if the deal with the Red Sox owners is set to go through.

Bernd Ratzke is Head of Corporate at Dawsons LLP

In an eye opening turn of events yesterday, the London-based branch of a New-York law firm pointedly removed themselves from any association from co-owner Tom Hicks.

After legal press reports named Weil, Gotshal & Manges as representing the Texan at next week’s court hearing, top employees were bombarded with emails from angry fans.

Hours later, they issued a statement which said: “We are not acting for the owners of Liverpool FC in relation to the dispute with LFC.

“In addition, in our role advising the owners, we have never acted, and would never act, adverse to Liverpool FC.”

Also

British lawyers believe that Liverpool's American owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett face a supremely difficult task convincing a High Court judge that the sale of the club to New England Sports Ventures (NESV) is illegal, a move which they will attempt in order to prolong their unpopular tenure on Merseyside.

It is much needed good news for a club that continues to face huge on-field challenges. Fernando Torres is understood to be harbouring doubts about where his future lies, even though he appeared yesterday to be winning his battle to shake off the adductor muscle injury he sustained in the home defeat to Blackpool and should be fit for the crucial Goodison derby on Sunday week.

Lawyers for the English contingent of the Liverpool board, who are awaiting the 24-hour notice they will receive of the High Court hearing which will rule on the legality of the club's sale to NESV, do seem to have a strong case. Legal opinion on the sale – which Hicks and Gillett insist has been rendered invalid because they had suspended two of the directors who voted in the 3-2 decision – is that the Americans have handed non-executive chairman Martin Broughton a huge court-room asset by signing off to him the right to hire and fire directors.

"If that undertaking is in place, signed and sealed, [he] has a very solid case to seek a declaration that the board are entitled to sell the club," Andrew Nixon, a partner for Thomas Eggar, said yesterday. "If they have broken an undertaking that is a factual issue."

The articles of association, in which Broughton's right to hire and fire directors and the current owners' undertaking not to take any action to frustrate a sale are enshrined, are critical to the case, Mr Nixon added. "If they show that [Broughton] has powers of process in both the sale and appointment of directors, it is going to be very, very hard for Hicks and Gillett to get around that."

Asked by The Independent 48 hours ago whether the undertakings were indeed signed and sealed by Hicks and Gillett, Broughton replied: "They signed them and made them to RBS [Royal Bank of Scotland] as a condition of the lending extension [which gave Hicks and Gillett an additional six months' leeway on their £237m loans]." Broughton added that the undertakings "changed the articles [of] the company." Puzzlingly, there is no mention of these vital changes in the articles of association for Kop Football, the holding company which approved the NESV sale, though it is quite possible that they have been signed off through additional papers.

Further details have emerged about how NESC beat off a rival bid from Asia on Tuesday. NESC, owners of the Boston Red Sox, increased the cash element of their £300m bid to £240m when both interested parties had tabled the same offer for Liverpool.

Hicks and Gillett's case will centre on whether the £300m sale to NESV, who are today expected to be cleared by the Premier League as fit and proper owners, represents an undervaluation of the club. Under the 2007 Companies Act, it is the fiduciary duty of any director to secure the best value for a company. "If they can give proper evidence that the £600m price they are talking about is realistic, they have a case," Mr Nixon added. "If they can't prove there could be a better sale, they are going to have a very, very difficult job."

Broughton has not ruled out the pair being able to demonstrate that someone, somewhere values the club at £600m. "I never like to put anything beyond them," he said on Tuesday. But Liverpool would be staggered if, after a year-long search for buyers ultimately tempted only two takers, Hicks and Gillett manage to demonstrate that there are others out there ready to pay twice as much.

If the legal undertakings cannot be proven – and as yet no written evidence of them has been seen by this newspaper – then the High Court judge's decision will revolve around the more subjective decision of what constitutes work to "promote the success of a company." Here, the owners may also have problems.

Bernd Ratzke, head of corporate law at Dawsons, said: "It seems unlikely that the courts will halt the board's plans. Under the Companies Act 2006, Hicks and Gillett would have to demonstrate that the directors are not acting to 'promote the success of the company' and, given that the club is facing administration within a matter of days, that will be a difficult argument to make."

Even if Hicks and Gillett do win, it seems they would secure only a brief reprieve since RBS is likely to call in its £237m loans if it is not paid by the due date of next Friday. If they have a white knight, he has a week to ride to the rescue.

not sure, i think he feels he can get RBS to refinance the club. either way he doesnt give a **** and isnt going down easily

He's just going to have to keep on getting loans to hold on though, and I don't think he has the resources to ever be away from them? So don't see how he's ever going to turn that £140m loss into some sort of profit. I guess it's easier for us to judge them when it's not our £70m on the line though, not that I support what he's doing in anyway :P

He's just going to have to keep on getting loans to hold on though, and I don't think he has the resources to ever be away from them? So don't see how he's ever going to turn that £140m loss into some sort of profit. I guess it's easier for us to judge them when it's not our £70m on the line though, not that I support what he's doing in anyway :P

The thing is, if he wins the court case, he'll have 4/5 to get a re-financing deal, otherwise RBS will call in the loan, and he'll be kicked out anyway. He's tried to refinance it a few weeks ago, but it seems everyone know nows his history, and is unwilling to give him the money, since he's bankrupt.

If they're basing their arguments on the board is not acting in the best interest of the club they are in for a long long bitter dissapointment. THe two bids prevent the club going into admin ie bankruptcy/insolvency ie finanicial suicide. The best interest of a organisation is solvency in some way shape or form. And if the club goes into admin and on curent form an outside shot at relegation then these 2 will walk away with a bigger loss than they are looking at if Liverpool is a championship side.

i have to say, Hicks' actions baffle me slughty.

he apparently tried refinancing a few weeks ago? if he did, and the board did indeed block him, then why not alter the board then so they allow him to refinance?

i have to say, Hicks' actions baffle me slughty.

he apparently tried refinancing a few weeks ago? if he did, and the board did indeed block him, then why not alter the board then so they allow him to refinance?

Interesting point! The events are getting so confusing and complex that it is difficult to keep track of what happened when. Let's hope it gets over soon.

I think this is all just a case of Broughton outsmarting Hicks & Gillette (which, let's face it. probably isn't too diffcult to do) think about it, if Hicks could change the board, he'd have done like I said above and changed it when they said no to the idea of refinancing. Now, with 6 days to go to the deadline and with an offer accepted, Hicks has gotten desperate and is going to court and trying to alter the board etc etc, (rather suprised Gillette's name hasn't been thrown around more, maybe he's realised he's not wanted/liked anymore and is prepared to cut his loss'?)

Anyway, the timing from Broughton & co to announce the deal is perfect, a week or so before deadline etc etc. I think a man of Broughton's quality wouldn't say on national television to millions of Liverpool fans that he was the only one who could change the board blardy blah if he wasn't sure of it, as it's not just the club who could go down the *******, it's his reputation as well. So while i sit here and have a slight sense of optimism that we could well be saying goodbye to Mr. Hicks & Gillette as soon as monday, although, i'm still skeptical about it all, like we all should be, so fingers crossed (yn)

I think this is all just a case of Broughton outsmarting Hicks & Gillette (which, let's face it. probably isn't too diffcult to do) think about it, if Hicks could change the board, he'd have done like I said above and changed it when they said no to the idea of refinancing. Now, with 6 days to go to the deadline and with an offer accepted, Hicks has gotten desperate and is going to court and trying to alter the board etc etc, (rather suprised Gillette's name hasn't been thrown around more, maybe he's realised he's not wanted/liked anymore and is prepared to cut his loss'?)

Anyway, the timing from Broughton & co to announce the deal is perfect, a week or so before deadline etc etc. I think a man of Broughton's quality wouldn't say on national television to millions of Liverpool fans that he was the only one who could change the board blardy blah if he wasn't sure of it, as it's not just the club who could go down the *******, it's his reputation as well. So while i sit here and have a slight sense of optimism that we could well be saying goodbye to Mr. Hicks & Gillette as soon as monday, although, i'm still skeptical about it all, like we all should be, so fingers crossed (yn)

Well the court case is on Monday, but it could drag through further through the week. (H)

I've always said Gillett is not as bad as Hicks.

Hicks and Gillett stand to lose a total of £254 million if the move by the owners of the Boston Red Sox collapses and they cannot find a replacement new owner by Friday.

ESPNsoccernet can exclusively reveal the cornerstone of Liverpool's case at the High Court next week is that the takeover is in everyone's best interests. The hearing is not likely until Tuesday at the earliest.

An inside source said: "It's in Hicks and Gillett's best interests, the board will argue, because it caps their losses at £144 million. Part of the deal with NESV is that the Royal Bank of Scotland wipe out the £110 million of personal guarantees."

An out of court settlement with Hicks and Gillett cannot be ruled out as the board is so confident that they will win the case.

Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton cannot comment on the specifics of the case, but he has told ESPNsoccernet that he believes he can win the case and the takeover can go through.

Behind the scenes 'negotiations' are clearly going on between the warring factions aimed at avoiding a messy public court hearing that would tear the club apart. Equally, the court hearing, which comes just days before Friday's deadline with the Royal Bank of Scotland, is unlikely to be the end of the legal wranglings, as whoever losses the initial hearing is sure to seek an appeal.

On the issue of an appeal, Liverpool's lawyers will argue that if Hicks and Gillett lose and the takeover can go through, and they call for an appeal, it would seriously jeopardise the takeover, and potentially throw the club into administration, thereby putting the club's survival at risk.

If the legal actions drag to a second hearing, it is inevitable that RBS will have to take some decision on Friday, most likely to suspend the outcome of whether to put the club into administration pending the final court room verdict. The logical solution is for both sets of lawyers to find some sort of middle ground, even if it is a settlement on the steps of the High Court. There is no direct contact anymore between the factions, with Hicks and Gillett one one side and the three English members of the board led by Broughton on the other.

Broughton told ESPNsoccernet exclusively: "All of these issues I cannot possibly comment on, as this is going to court, one would assume. We have no date for the hearing yet, but we are told it is a 'short order' and so it would be any day hopefully early next week. The lawyers have told me I am not unable to talk about the case directly."

However, without going into any legal detail, Broughton said: "Yes, I am confident we shall win. However we all know when you have two sets of lawyers they are both telling you that they are 100% confident that they will win."

There is one central key issue of the entire legal procedure, and Broughton made that abundantly clear: "We are going to the courts seeking clarification that we are able to proceed with the sale of Liverpool FC."

Although Hicks publicly declared that he had given no undertaking directly to Broughton about the constitution of the board and the sale process being determined by the board (rather than the shareholders when he did his deal with RBS to extend the facility for six months), Broughton confirmed that such an undertaking was given to RBS.

Broughton said: "The obligation was given to RBS as part of the loan extension agreement. If an undertaking was given to the major creditor, than an undertaking was given."

In another twist, leaked minutes from a Liverpool board meeting allegedly contain Hicks making personal and abusive comments about Liverpool fans, which will increase the hatred already felt by the supporters against the current owners.

rorysmith_tel

NESV have consulted former chief exec Rick Parry as they bid to buy #LFC. Full story on the Telegraph website soon. Well, soonish.

Take over bid according to The Guardian's Website, good news for you lads if it does come off.

It is our understanding that Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al-Thani, the head of The Royal Qatar family has proposed a bid in the region of 300million Pounds Sterling to acquire Liverpool Football Club.
Having assets equating to 19 Billion Pounds Sterling including Qatar Airlines in his port folio, his family have consistently appeared in Forbes Magazines "Top 20" rich list over the past 17 years.

Here

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back