The Anfield Saga

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 79K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Hicks you character, you. Just leave now and save us all the stress.

Updated the OP for anyone with no understanding of who the new owners are.

The trio of controlling members of the Liverpool board have issued legal proceedings against Tom Hicks and George Gillett and are heading to the High Court on Friday to push through the £300 million sale of the club, ESPNsoccernet can reveal.
Chairman Martin Broughton, managing director Christian Purslow and commercial director Ian Ayre have pre-empted any legal action by current co-owners Hicks and Gillett to stop the planned takeover, issuing a 'declaratory judgment' which their solicitors, Slaughter and May, have prepared for a hearing on Friday.
Hicks and Gillett, whose losses would be an estimated £140 million, are convinced that their legal arguments will halt the proposed sale to the owners of the Boston Red Sox, and an appeal appears certain no matter what the outcome of the initial courtroom battle on Friday.
The trio are anxious that the whole legal process, and indeed the sale that depends upon it, is completed by the October 15 deadline, when the Royal Bank of Scotland calls in its £237 million loans from Hicks and Gillett and effectively owns the club. The bank would then have to sell the club on, or put Liverpool into administration.
"We need to go to the court to get a declaratory judgement, which is for the court to declare that we did act validly in completing the sale agreement, and then the buyers can complete the sale," Broughton said.
Broughton has not ruled out administration, and the club would then plead with the Premier League not to deduct the nine-point penalty.
"This is not a case of financial doping, by overspending on players, wages or transfers," a source said. "It is not the case that the club is insolvent and still trading. It is the borrowings by the two Americans when they bought the club.
"But clearly Liverpool does not wish to risk having nine points deducted, so it's imperative that the sale goes through before October 15, but it is signed conditional on the legal issues being resolved."
The Premier League is planning to rubber stamp the sale on Friday, according to Liverpool sources.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=830461&sec=england&cc=5739

They dont ******* hang around do they Broughton and co - get this sorted friday hopefully!

I've been a Red Sox fan my whole life and for people wondering about Werner & Henry they are excellent owners. I'm not sure how their strategy in baseball will translate over to football, but their strategy with the Sox has been usually very hands-off. When they purchased the Red Sox they hired very knowledgeable people to do the day to day thing (which is the primary reason the Red Sox became more successful after their purchase). I'm new to football (I actually played Football Manager before I actually was interested in the real game), so I don't know too much about how the sport is actually managed or much about the teams, etc. I read that Liverpool needs a new stadium, which is probably what they'll get, or at least a major renovation. Werner & Henry seem to prioritize stadium revenue as a main source of income. In around two years they turned the worst/smallest park in baseball into a modern place that earns more than stadiums twice the size. They also believe on-field success is the primary thing that drives up the value of a club, so you can probably look forward to that. In terms of big time deals though they haven't done much in terms of signing big name players to the Red Sox, instead they focus on the team chemistry concept (as opposed to our rival Yankees who think they can win by signing every big name player out there).

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO55BazkiZ4&feature=topvideos"]YouTube - Dear Mr Hicks[/ame]

Thought this was an interesting read:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11979_6430712,00.html

Liverpool fans may be wary of another American owner, but in John W Henry they have a very different breed to Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The quiet, reserved 61-year-old made his fortune in hedge funds, but has used it to indulge his sporting interests, most famously with the Boston Red Sox baseball team, but also in the NASCAR motorsport series.

The self-made multi-millionaire does not have the serious money of the Premier League's wealthiest owners, with his fortune rated at US dollars 860 million (£540m) before dipping in the credit crunch, but he does have an excellent track record of success with his teams.

Thought this was an interesting read:

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11979_6430712,00.html

Liverpool fans may be wary of another American owner, but in John W Henry they have a very different breed to Tom Hicks and George Gillett.

The quiet, reserved 61-year-old made his fortune in hedge funds, but has used it to indulge his sporting interests, most famously with the Boston Red Sox baseball team, but also in the NASCAR motorsport series.

The self-made multi-millionaire does not have the serious money of the Premier League's wealthiest owners, with his fortune rated at US dollars 860 million (£540m) before dipping in the credit crunch, but he does have an excellent track record of success with his teams.
He's part of a consortium, so more money than that is involved at leastt ^^)

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

The proposed takeover of Liverpool could be granted approval as early as Friday, say the Premier League.

League chiefs have been kept informed of any progress in the bid process, with the owners of the Boston Red Sox baseball team keen to seize control at Anfield.

A £300million offer has been table by New England Sports Ventures (NESV), a company principally owned by John W Henry.

That bid has been accepted by the Liverpoolboard despite strong opposition from current owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks, who remain reluctant to sell for a figure below their asking price.

An Asian consortium have also expressed an interest in acquiring the Premier League club, but the American offer is deemed to be the more likely to succeed.

Liverpool have informed the authorities that they may be the subject of a takeover and the Premier League have revealed that they would be prepared to give the deal the go-ahead.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6431353,00.html

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=33429.msg794217;topicseen

This made me Lol, look at the banner.

Last edited:
There are some rumors that if Hicks and Gillett somehow manage to block the sale then the Royal Bank of Scotland will call in the debt on October 15, take control of the club and sell it immediately to NEVS.

i dont think zeb has been on rawk for some weeks aswell

I've a feeling he's been unwell - he touched on it in the last of his posts - so it's up th the rest of us to dig up stuff if we can.

Look after yourself Zeb.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:14 PM ----------

He's part of a consortium, so more money than that is involved at leastt ^^)

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

The proposed takeover of Liverpool could be granted approval as early as Friday, say the Premier League.

League chiefs have been kept informed of any progress in the bid process, with the owners of the Boston Red Sox baseball team keen to seize control at Anfield.

A £300million offer has been table by New England Sports Ventures (NESV), a company principally owned by John W Henry.

That bid has been accepted by the Liverpoolboard despite strong opposition from current owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks, who remain reluctant to sell for a figure below their asking price.

An Asian consortium have also expressed an interest in acquiring the Premier League club, but the American offer is deemed to be the more likely to succeed.

Liverpool have informed the authorities that they may be the subject of a takeover and the Premier League have revealed that they would be prepared to give the deal the go-ahead.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6431353,00.html

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php?topic=33429.msg794217;topicseen

This made me Lol, look at the banner.

The most important thing in a lot of people's minds is getting shut of the hated D & D

Okay no Offence intended here, Zeb is a very clever man, but please stop with all the **** licking posts, when he is well enough to post, i am sure he will, everyone stop being douches

The owners have apparently sacked Purslow and some other guy because they tried to sell the club. Is that such a bad thing?

Okay no Offence intended here, Zeb is a very clever man, but please stop with all the **** licking posts, when he is well enough to post, i am sure he will, everyone stop being douches

You're being the douche. He's a mind of information regarding Liverpool. Just because he's not a Man U fan :P

The owners have apparently sacked Purslow and some other guy because they tried to sell the club. Is that such a bad thing?

Yes.That would give Hicks majority vote. Therefore no takeover, and admin in 9 days. Or worse, they refinance.

it will be in the High Court in London, based in the royal courts of justice on the Strand

Just because nobody wants your opinion doesn't mean they don't want anyone else's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back