The Anfield Saga

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 1K
  • Views Views 79K
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does refinance mean?

Loaning money from somewhere else to pay RBS, meaning they wouldn't be threatened by a takeover from RBS but would have even more debt. Basically buying themselves time and ruining LFC even more.

What does refinance mean?

Manipulating the debt in some way, i.e. longer repayment time and lower loan payments, or changing the interest rate or penalty clauses. The downside of this is that RBS may have included a payment which LFC need to make in order to refinance if they break the loan by repaying it early (and take out another loan to do so). Still, considering LFC get hit by a 25m fee if non-repayment is still an issue in a couple of weeks, they can't do much worse can they ?:)

Chairman holds the cards but Tom Hicks vows to come out fighting

• Texan ready to takle Liverpool chairman's claims in court
• NESV offer still the best on the table, says Broughton

David Conn guardian.co.uk, Thursday 7 October 2010

Tom Hicks, the embattled co-owner of Liverpool, maintained today that he will fight the high court action launched by the Anfield chairman, Martin Broughton, to force the American to sell the club to New England Sports Ventures, the owners of the Boston Red Sox.

In his fierce public onslaught against Hicks and the Texan's fellow 50% Liverpool owner, George Gillett, on Tuesday, Broughton said that by resisting, the pair had "flagrantly abused" undertakings they had given him and the Royal Bank of Scotland not to oppose a reasonable sale.

Broughton said they had abused the club's constitution, its articles of association, by seeking to sack the managing director, Christian Purslow, and commercial director, Ian Ayre, and replace them with Hicks's son and his assistant, to give Hicks a majority on the board. Liverpool's articles of association say only Broughton, as the chairman, has the right to appoint or remove directors.

Broughton has been advised of his legal rights at every step by Liverpool's solicitors Slaughter & May, one of the City of London's most highly rated law firms, and he took advice from them yesterday. On that basis he rejected Hicks's attempted boardroom coup. Broughton, Purslow and Ayre approved the sale, then the chairman launched his public attack on Hicks and Gillett. He is "confident" a high court judge will rule in the board's favour when the case is heard next week, although he added: "You can never be 100% confident when you go to court."

Hicks's spokesman in New York today set out the arguments which will form the basis of the Texan's legal defence. Of the undertakings, which Broughton says were given to him and to RBS, that Hicks and Gillett would not oppose a reasonable sale, the spokesman said: "There were no such undertakings given to Broughton."

He did not respond to a question about whether Hicks, as Broughton says, had given the undertaking to RBS. The spokesman claimed Hicks did have the right to sack and appoint directors: "The board has been legally reconstituted," he said of Hicks's attempt, "and the new board does not approve of this proposed transaction."

Broughton is relying on the articles of association, which give the chairman the power to appoint and dismiss all directors apart from Gillett and Hicks themselves. The key clause is paragraph 81a of the 30-page document, which says: "Each director appointed to the office of chairman of the board of directors of the company may appoint any person as a director of the company and may remove any director (other than George N Gillett Jnr and/or Thomas O Hicks). Any appointment or removal shall be made in writing and signed by the then current chairman."

Hicks's spokesman did not respond to requests to explain Hicks's claim that the Texan did have the right nevertheless to reconstitute the board, and whether he is contesting that the club's own articles of association are valid.

Broughton insisted, as a condition of accepting his appointment in June, that he be granted this power so that he could maintain a majority on the board over Hicks and Gillett. The articles of association were changed, introducing this right for the chairman, on 28 May, with the close involvement of RBS, which had agreed to refinance its £237m loans to Hicks and Gillett.

By law, changes to companies' articles of association require the approval of 75% of the shareholders. So they needed to have been approved by Hicks and Gillett themselves. Asked whether Hicks was arguing he never saw the articles, or approved the changes, and does not recognise them as having been legally introduced, the spokesman declined to comment.

A source close to the board said Broughton remains "confident" that the power contained in the articles of association will be upheld, and that, according to the undertaking with RBS, Hicks has no right to resist the sale, because it is reasonable. Broughton, Purslow and Ayre have agreed the deal by which NESV will repay to RBS the £200m Hicks and Gillett borrowed to buy the club, then loaded on to the club to service the debt. However, NESV will give the pair nothing for their shares, and Hicks and Gillett will lose the £144m they have loaned to the parent company, Kop Holdings.

Broughton justifies that deal as reasonable because after months of Liverpool, one of the world's most famous football clubs, being publicly up for sale, this offer, and another from a Singapore businessman the board decided was not as good, were the only ones presented.

"You needed to be on another planet not to know [the club] was for sale," Broughton said. "We have had inquiries as a result of that, we have made inquiries ourselves, but not until this week have we had a formal written proposal. We ended up with two, there weren't any others – so by definition that is the market price."

That is what Hicks is desperately fighting, although he will mount his battle on any of the details. He bought Liverpool with Gillett in 2007 believing that the growth, particularly, of Premier League television rights deals would increase the club's value and make him a fortune. He points in frustration to the $822m (£518m) valuation placed on Liverpool by Forbes, the US business magazine, placing the club sixth in its 2010 "soccer team valuations".

However, after a search for a buyer which Broughton must persuade the judge was as exhaustive as could be, NESV's is the best offer that could be found: to repay the useless debt with which Hicks and Gillett saddled the club and send them away, as Broughton put it, "humiliated".

Despite Liverpool's glorious heritage, no big pay day arrived, for a club burdened with debt, a struggling squad, appalled supporters and a stadium still to be developed. The legacy Hicks and Gillett will leave behind is one of decline and broken promises.

latest news:

Council ready to block new Liverpool owners' plan for Anfield redevelopment

New England Sports Ventures, the company bidding for control of Liverpool, is on a collision course with the city's council over plans to redevelop Anfield. The Liverpool chairman, Martin Broughton, has confirmed the club's prospective new owners NESV – which has a track-record in redeveloping a sports stadium with the Boston Red Sox – will consider upgrading Anfield if a £300m offer to gain control from Tom Hicks and George Gillett is accepted in the high court next week. It is understood that a commitment to put £100m towards a new stadium had previously been a condition of the sale.

The leader of the council, however, insists a U-turn on the stadium would be unlikely to gain approval. "I would discourage them [NESV] from redeveloping Anfield and would encourage them to stick to the commitment that is already in place because I think that is the best solution for everyone – for the club and the city," councillor Joe Anderson said.

NESV's offer was accepted after it increased the equity involved to £240m, matching a rival bid from Asia, and Anderson believes the new stadium must be the priority for the club as he attempts to safeguard the area's regeneration.

Other sources say the same planning obstacles that prompted the former chairman David Moores and the then chief executive, Rick Parry, to propose relocating across Stanley Park still exist, leaving NESV facing the potentially greater expense of a new build.

NESV had to commit to a stadium project during negotiations with Liverpool and still intends to revisit existing plans for a new 60,000-seat arena on nearby Stanley Park. However, considering upgrading Anfield represents a radical departure from the past decade of club and council policy. As far as the council is concerned, that policy has not changed, and with much of the present stadium landlocked in a residential area NESV would have to overcome major obstacles to increase Anfield's capacity to its desired figure of 60,000-plus. These include the purchase of nearby houses to make way for new stands, which Liverpool have already done to some degree, improving public access and objections to a development that would tower over local properties.

A separate, though fundamental, reason for the council's desire for a new stadium – which has planning permission that is due to expire in April 2011 – is to see the creation of the proposed Anfield Plaza on the site of the existing stadium. The Plaza, containing shops, offices and restaurants, is intended to provide a public link to the new arena, but also an estimated 1,000 jobs in one of the most deprived local authority wards in Britain.

This was a key condition in Liverpool obtaining permission to build on public land in Stanley Park and, despite the change from a Liberal Democrat to a Labour council at the last election, it remains a priority for local politicians and residents.

Cllr Anderson, who welcomed the potential change of ownership as "a huge relief", said: "It has been suggested to me that NESV would be willing to meet at the earliest possible opportunity in the event of the takeover and I would urge them to do that to give me the opportunity to find out exactly what their intentions are, because the stadium is a key part of our plans to regenerate north Liverpool.

"Those plans haven't been held up entirely by the stadium situation and it would be wrong to say that they have. But they have had an impact and we just want to be in a position where we have a clear sign that the stadium issue will be resolved one way or another, something Hicks and Gillett failed to do despite the string of promises they made."

NESV members have paid several visits to Liverpool in recent weeks but, with control of the club not yet sealed, have not reached the negotiating stage with the council. They have, however, held discussions with the Royal Bank of Scotland over funding any stadium plans and, unlike Hicks and Gillett, who made themselves hostage to fortune with a promise to "put a spade in the ground within 60 days" of their takeover in February 2007, are reluctant to commit to one proposal at this juncture.

John W Henry the principal investor in NESV, overcame major difficulties to redevelop the historic home of the Boston Red Sox, Fenway Park, although at the cost to the fans of vastly increased ticket prices. Broughton said: "They are going to look at a new stadium but they have experience at Boston of redeveloping an old stadium and just want to be sure they have exhausted all options before deciding on which one, but the commitment is they will do one or the other."

Liverpool's need for improved revenue streams from a new stadium is pressing and was a principal reason why Moores sold his majority shareholding to Hicks and Gillett in 2007. Club accounts for 2008-09 financial year showed Liverpool made £42m from gate and matchday income. In the same period Arsenal made £100m at the Emirates Stadium and Manchester United generated £109m at Old Trafford.

Liverpool is a host city for England's 2018 World Cup bid but with Anfield's capacity over the 40,000 threshold, and NESV committed to some form of rebuilding, that status is not at risk.

Last edited:
I don't get what Hicks has to gain, the interest is just going to get higher and higher when they can't afford it, and I think the bank has the right to take control of the club and sell it anyway on the deadline, so it's a lose/lose situation surely? :P

I don't get what Hicks has to gain, the interest is just going to get higher and higher when they can't afford it, and I think the bank has the right to take control of the club and sell it anyway on the deadline, so it's a lose/lose situation surely? :P
not sure, i think he feels he can get RBS to refinance the club. either way he doesnt give a **** and isnt going down easily

A RED army is set to flock to London for what is being billed as the most important days in Liverpool FC history.
D-Day is expected next week when hundreds of supporters will descend on the High Court for the club’s critical ownership battle.
Liverpool are currently preparing a heavyweight legal case with solicitors Slaughter and May as they seek a declaratory judgement to formally seal the £300m Reds sale to New England Sports Ventures (NESV), owners of the Boston Red Sox baseball team.
If Tom Hicks and George Gillett decide to attend the Royal Courts of Justice in person to oppose the move, the Americans have been promised a warm reception.
Liverpool fan groups said many of them were planning to line the streets of the Strand in the capital.
Today, James McKenna, spokesman for Spirit of Shankly, said there had already been interest among supporters in heading to London.
He told the ECHO: "People have started talking about heading down to London, particularly if Hicks and Gillett will be there. I do know supporters have been discussing making their presence known.
"There’s only one door in and one door out of the court, so it’s a good opportunity to make our feelings known."
Further scrutiny of New England Sports Ventures reveals they have made assurances no money will ever be taken from Liverpool FC and used to invest in the sports investment company back in Boston.

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...gh-court-d-day-100252-27427383/#ixzz11ihTKU00

i wish i could be there
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/live...gh-court-d-day-100252-27427383/#ixzz11ihBs1uD

closing while i clear the drivel. reopened momentarily

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

Re opened, next person with anymore **** gets infracted

closing while i clear the drivel. reopened momentarily

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

Re opened, next person with anymore **** gets infracted

Stop pretending you have power, you cant infract yet (K)

Stop pretending you have power, you cant infract yet (K)
ah but i didnt say i'd be the one infracting you (K)

back to business, find it bizarre the council want to block a potential redevelopment of Anfield

back to business, find it bizarre the council want to block a potential redevelopment of Anfield

I think its mainy due to lack of space that the council dont want it to happen. Could change if the club buy any houses sorrounding the stadium which would create space. Personally id love to expand anfield as it has so much history with the club :)

some news about the other bid

Ben Smith's twitter:

Group from Singapore have matched NESV's £300m offer for #lfc and are undergoing proof of funds, legal tests etc ... but only as back-up.

Premier League accepts Singapore bid also.

Anyone know who the Singaporian's are?

There's houses all around Anfield, which have just been re-developed, as well as food chains, Etc. Shame, really.

Dan Roan: Am told LFC now in real danger of 9 point deduction if Kop Holdings goes into administration next Friday.

Others on twitter saying the same.

Hicks delays the sale on a technicality or detail and gives us that as a parting gift?

if this what it takes to get them two yanks out i'll be happy

I think its mainy due to lack of space that the council dont want it to happen. Could change if the club buy any houses sorrounding the stadium which would create space. Personally id love to expand anfield as it has so much history with the club :)

Why not build UPWARD instead of outward - add more tiers to the existing stands like at OT ?

http://www.thefirstpost.co.uk/69817...-get-green-light-to-take-control-of-liverpool

The Premier League will complete due diligence on John W Henry and the other owners of New England Sports Ventures (NESV) today, leaving them clear to continue with their proposed takeover of Liverpool.
That means the sale of the club will be completed promptly if the impending legal action in the High Court goes Henry's way.
The court case has been brought by Tom Hicks and George Gillett, the ever-stubborn co-owners of the club, who do not want to sell to NESV and claim that Liverpool chairman Martin Broughton exceeded his authority by recommending a bid they say undervalues the club.
Meanwhile NESV has been outlining its plans for the club. It says it plans to wipe out the debts relating to Hicks and Gillett's acquisition of the club in 2007, meaning profits could be reinvested in the team, currently languishing in the relegation zone of the Premier League.
Broughton has made it clear that NESV do not intend to offer Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson a lavish spending spree, but has earmarked a sum for the January transfer window.
Should the takeover be successful, the new owners intend to be at Anfield for Merseyside derby against Everton on October 16.
And Anfield could yet have a place in the club's future if NESV do take over. The club hopes to build a new 60,000-seater stadium across Stanley Park, but the lack of progress on that plan under Hicks and Gillett angered fans.
Now it seems that NESV, which has redeveloped the Boston Red Sox baseball team's home Fenway Park, would be interested in keeping Liverpool at an upgraded Anfield. Although the plan would not sit well with the local council.

Also, to do with the apparent point deduction; the other week BBC reported that we wouldn't, but if we do, I'm not that bothered.

Neil Jones on Twitter - Premier League has given its backing to NESV's proposed takeover of #LFC

PREMIER LEAGUE APPROVE REDS TAKEOVER
By Martyn Ziegler, Chief Reporter, Press Association Sport

http://www.sportinglife.com/footbal...R_Liverpool_Premier_League.html&TEAMHD=soccer

The Premier League have given the go-ahead to New England Sports Ventures (NESV)'s takeover of Liverpool.

The green light to the takeover by the American company, owners of the Boston Red Sox, means that only the High Court action by current owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett stands in the way of the £300m deal going through.

The league said in a statement: "The Premier League has met with the owners and directors of New England Sports Ventures (NESV) regarding their proposed takeover of Liverpool FC and has received details, in accordance with Premier League rules, of the proposed company and ownership structure as well as the make-up of the new board.

"The Premier League is satisfied, with the information provided, that the individuals NESV intend to put in place in the event they complete their takeover of Liverpool FC meet the criteria set out in our owners' and directors' test.

"The board of the Premier League will continue working with Liverpool FC in regard to this process, however, we are aware that the formal completion of this takeover is yet to be resolved and it is therefore inappropriate for us to offer any further comment at this time."

If the takeover is not completed by next Friday then the Royal Bank of Scotland could put Kop Holdings, the company owned by Hicks and Gillett, into administration over their unpaid £280million debt.

If that happens, Liverpool would be at risk of a nine-point deduction.

Initially it had been thought the Premier League would not penalise the club for Kop Holdings becoming insolvent, but now the threat of a points deduction has become a serious one.

Under Premier League rules, the fact that the holding company is solely concerned with the ownership of Liverpool and football-related matters could trigger the nine-point penalty.

West Ham had been used as an example of why the Reds might escape in deduction if administration goes ahead when it was owned by Icelandic bank Straumur.

The Hammers, however, were a solvent part of a whole portfolio of different companies while Kop Holdings is solely concerned with Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back