The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
He will muddle through to the end of the season finishing 4th (or maybe win the Europa Cup) and the board will declare it a successful season again...

A few years ago i wrote on this thread that because of the direction of the club, we will struggle to qualify for Champions League.
That time has come much earlier than i anticipated, and there`s no way we will get CL football in the next few years.
Now i can see that the problem is much bigger than anticipated, apparently we`ll struggle to get Europa League spot, and tbh i would like to see the club missing on that place for the next season!
...Why?... Because that`s the only way to revive this club : we need new ownership, new manager, new staff aaaand... a new squad.
The only players i would keep in are : Bellerin, Mustafi, Kolasinac, Monreal, Ramsey, Wilshere, Lacazette, Giroud + the young players from the academy.
The rest can go on their way, they don`t deserve the Arsenal Shirt!

Few them in the lat year of contract as well i think? Ramsey, Giroud & Wilshere? or coming up to. Cazorla as well?

Wenger is either very selfish or his love for the club has blinded him of the reality.

Personally I think it's the latter, for the good of the club and himself should of left after FA Cup win.

Wenger has been at the club too long, the players have become to settled in mediocracy. It is clear a shake up is now needed even if they manage to win the Europa league for too long the board and players have accepted 4 place now that 4th isn't even guaranteed it is time to make changes before mid-table safety becomes the norm.

I can't remember the last time Arsene's follow through on a player was actually good. He has constantly dropped the ball with bosman superstars by not surrounding them with enough talent and actually letting them get to the final year of contract where he loses all his leverage.

You follow this trend and its just going to end up with Ozil and Sanchez winning something elsewhere as thats exactly what happened with RVP and Fabregas. Its got to be flat out dejecting to be a gunner fan at the moment.

Last edited:
I don't think that's negligence from him. He probably planned to open renewal negotiations early last year, which is sensible. But after that Bayern *** whooping and with Champions League place already being in question, Sanchez and Ozil probably decided to play for time and see how season pans out. Then they missed out on top 4 and that was last nail in the coffin I'd imagine.

Still, there's really no excuse for how badly they're doing in the league right now. On paper they have better squad than anybody bar City and should be comfortably sitting at top 2-3 instead of 7 points behind top 4.

What's puzzling me the most though, is they were doing better when Wenger didn't have any money to spend. Just a 2-3 years back it looked like they need one, maybe two players to have a squad that will roll over the league like a truck. Then he went and started heavily, Mustafi is a 30 million defender, Lacazette is 60 millon striker, Xhaka is a 40 million midfielder, those are all pre-Neymar transfers when fees like that where considered huge.

With that kind of investment they should be hugely improved but they just suck worse than ever.

Last edited:
I disagree that its not negligence on his part but agree with everything else you're saying Tyton.

The issue for me is that inside the building at Arsenal you can't tell me they didn't have a feeling these 2 weren't interested in re-signing. He gambled on RVP and that blew back big time. 22 million for RVP was far below market value and thats all because they surrendered their power by allowing his contract to get that close to expiring. That was forgivable, mistakes happen etc but to allow this to happen 4 years later with 2 super stars the exact same age that RVP was when he bolted just looks grossly incompetent on Wenger and the club itself.

You're right about the squad itself, brings into question why I guess Wenger insisted on his build up from youth prospects instead of buying ready made superstars. Could it be that he just cant get on the same page as the modern footballer? I mean lets be honest theres a big difference between the ego and global attitude that someone like Bergkamp would have had in the pre-social media 90s versus the global superstar that someone like Sanchez is, half these players pretty much bring a brand with them. Maybe Wenger just isnt able to connect and communicate his message to that kind of footballer.

Food for thought

Back