The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Vargas is a quality player but I think he wont be perfect fit for Arsenal. Corssing is his strength and Arsenal dont have a player who is very good in air.

And also GC, he is not one dimensional. Thoguh he plays as LW, he drifts inside and can shoot from distance. He has a wicked left foot.

Would love to see him in the league.

[h=1]Brazilian Santos completes move to Arsenal[/h]Arsenal Football Club can confirm the signing of Brazilian defender Andre Santos on a long-term contract.

The 28-year-old international joins the Gunners from Super Lig champions Fenerbahce, for whom he has played since 2009. Santos supplanted Roberto Carlos as the team’s first-choice left-back in his first season in Turkey and went on to make 52 league appearances, scoring 10 times.

Sao Paulo born Santos’ career also includes a campaign with Brazilian giants Corinthians and a three-year spell with Figueirense, from where he took in loans with Flamengo and Atletico Miniero.

He received his first senior cap for Brazil in the 2009 Confederations Cup, helping them to victory in the tournament, and has so far represented his country on 22 occasions.

Arsène Wenger said: “Santos is a quality player, with the ability to both defend well and get forward and help with attacks. He has experience in the Champions League and for Brazil and has proven he can deliver at the highest level. We welcome Santos to the Club and look forward to him having a big impact for us.”

Upon completing his move, Santos said: "I am delighted to have signed for Arsenal. It was one of my dreams to play for a major European football club and I have accomplished this. I am very happy to be part of this team. All the Brazilians who came to this club spoke wonders about it and I am delighted to be part of the Arsenal family."

Andre Santos will wear the No 11 at Arsenal and will have A.Santos on the back of his shirt.

I hope André Santos does well for Arsenal. I'm not sure he's what Arsenal need, but hopefully he can step up and do well for you. I like him, in all honesty, and it'll do him well to get away from all the match fixing fuss back in Turkey.

Per Mertesacker set to join ArsenalArsenal has confirmed they have agreed terms with Werder Bremen to sign German international defender Per Mertesacker. At 26, the 6ft 6in centre-back has significant experience at both club and international level.Mertesacker has enjoyed eight seasons in the German top flight - five with Werder Bremen and three with Hannover 96 - making 221 league appearances in total and finding the net on 19 occasions. The former Werder Bremen captain also played 53 times in Europe for the Green-Whites, including the 2009 Europa League Final. In 75 games for Germany, Mertesacker has helped his country to the Semi-Finals of the 2006 and 2010 World Cups and to the Final of the 2008 European Championship. The deal is subject to the completion of formal registration processes.--------Matter of time before it's confirmed.

Vargas is a quality player but I think he wont be perfect fit for Arsenal. Corssing is his strength and Arsenal dont have a player who is very good in air.

And also GC, he is not one dimensional. Thoguh he plays as LW, he drifts inside and can shoot from distance. He has a wicked left foot.

Would love to see him in the league.

I know that much, but he doesn't tend to drift inside enough to suit Arsenal. Either way, he doesn't seem the type of player for Arsenal. Maybe I'm wrong.

I know that much, but he doesn't tend to drift inside enough to suit Arsenal. Either way, he doesn't seem the type of player for Arsenal. Maybe I'm wrong.

Yeah he doesn't drift as much as he is a left footed left winger. But he is not one dimensional as Valencia who hardly cuts in. I wouldn't even call him one dimensional tbh..

Yeah maybe not the type of player Arsenal needs, which even I admitted in my first post. But would like to see him in the league.

not benayoun. please not benayoun.

one of: Gotze/Hazard/Shaquiri/MARVIN MARTIN/Honda/Kaka/Anyonegood

not benayoun. please not benayoun.

one of: Gotze/Hazard/Shaquiri/MARVIN MARTIN/Honda/Kaka/Anyonegood

Benayoun's agent said it will be either 'Spurs, Arsenal or Liverpool' according to the Metro anyways... dont see why you are unhappy about the transfer, most chelsea fans dont want to lose him

b621w3.jpg

We would be able to get Arteta relativley cheap, bout £10 million, cus Everton need the money.

Really getting tires of arsenal's bull now. Is it the board and tight or wenger don't wanna spend? Im not being funny but gibbs is better then santos has anyone seen him play? he is terrible. I do rate mertesacker i think he is a good player but we really needed a midfielder looks slim we are going to get mvilla now because we a to tight with money no doubt he will go to a bigger club next season and same with Hazard. I really aint looking forward to the season. Hopfully we finish out of the top 4 and the chairman sells up. I really think wenger is just defending them all the time he is to soft.

---------- Post added at 05:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 PM ----------

We would be able to get Arteta relativley cheap, bout £10 million, cus Everton need the money.

Arteta is a step down from nasri or feb we are meant to improve to to get top 4 not sell our best players and settle for second best

Would appear talks are ongoing with the player. If terms are agreed with player/clubs, he will be an Arsenal player.

Everton must actually hate us and Utd. We're forever trying to pinch your players!

Apart from Rooney whom did we sign from them?

In return we have given them Howard, Neville, Saha.

They should love us :P

:wub: Neville, Howard, Saha. If it wasn't for them....we may never have made Europe and attracted players like Fellaini etc. Hence my lovefest for SAF lol

Interesting fact to think about aswell: Only five players have created more chances per 90 mins in the Premier League since 06/07 than Mikel Arteta

Last edited:
Back