The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I can't wait to see all these players playing together. After last night I can say I'm very confident about the rest of the season now :)

Santos and Park interviews

[video=youtube;VhlRf_2kTM8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VhlRf_2kTM8[/video]

[video=youtube;CwgJ1rAJdSM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwgJ1rAJdSM[/video]

Anyone else really looking forward to Mertesacker playing?

I would've preferred Hazard/Goetze and Hamsik over Arteta and Benayoun, and I really wanted us to sign Yann M'Vila to join. No one would be able to replace Fabregas.

But overall, I'm happy with our transfers. Arteta is going to be a quality signing, if he stays injury free. Not sure about Park Chu-Young, but Mertesacker is a solid signing - excellent in the air and a strong defender. Gervinho from what i've seen so far is a brilliant player. Benayoun i'm not so sure about - he used to be a quality player when he was at west ham and liverpool but he hasn't got much action at Chelsea. Andre Santos is another signing that could be a risk. I've seen him play and it looks likely that we'll often get caught on the counter attack as he loves to get forward. Providing he can recover in time, he'll be a good signing. Can also show Gibbs a few things aswell.
Now atleast, we can get fill up the bench with experienced players, and not players making their debuts. Coquelin and the rest of the youngsters will be brilliant players in three or four years, but we needed players now to keep competing with top clubs and attract even better players. If we win trophies now, we can also attract more exciting young players, such as Goetze and Hazard, to our club instead of others. Wenger did what we asked though - he got experiecned quality players, although he left it very late (I heard Arteta signed with 8 seconds of the window left!)

Unfortuantly, Hazard wont join this season, and as we snatched Park Chu-Young from Lille it will be hard to get him. Goetze is staying atleast two more years at Dortmund according to his agent. Yann M'Vila joining in January is a possibity I reckon.

I just hope we manage to get Hazard and/or Goetze, M'Vila (!) before the other big clubs become seriously interested in them!

I'm a bit nervous about it to be honest - I've not seen a lot of him, but when I have seen him he's been slow and clumsy on the ball. Wenger is usually spot on, though and although it's a late deal, he's scouted him for a while and they've been negotiating all summer. Nervous, yet confident he can rise to the challenge.

Also, Mike - have to hold up my hands on this one. You were absolutely right about Lille being ****** off at Wenger - I (perhaps naively) assumed they were a little peeved - particularly at the player - but understood that business is business.

Lille reveal farcical Chu Young Park airport chase to stop Arsenal transfer | Metro.co.uk
By the way - Sorry about the whole "signing your player" thing, ajt. Cba to go back 10s of pages but it seems we pulled out due to his wage demands and Arteta's people called our bluff and re-started talks. Not sure Arteta needed to "ask for a move", but he certainly doesn't seem to have been a whiny **** about it... Hope you're happy-ish with the transfer (and the money you've received - probably a little lower than you might have got, but not too far off.

Plug:

Summer transfer window roundup: analysing the deadline day five | Arsenal Report
Not written by me, so any criticism aim Ix's way in the comments section or by phoning her on 141-999 (South African number, y'know?)

I have to say that I'm quite happy with the last movements with Mertesacker, Arteta and Benayoun joining us.

Confident that Arsenal will be lurking around 4th place towards the end of the season if most of our players stay fit. Surprisingly optimistic about our season after these signing, shown some intent on Wenger's part although when Arteta deal was called off i was worrying for us, and Wenger. Anyway, my prediction for the end of the season:

3rd: Chelsea
4th: Liverpool/Arsenal
5th: Arsenal/Liverpool

I'll be looking forward to him playing against N'Zogbia, Bent and Agbonlahor. It'll be like watched a baby giraffe trying to chase hyenas.

I'll be looking forward to him playing against N'Zogbia, Bent and Agbonlahor. It'll be like watched a baby giraffe trying to chase hyenas.

He will pwn them all..

scaled.php

Confident that Arsenal will be lurking around 4th place towards the end of the season if most of our players stay fit. Surprisingly optimistic about our season after these signing, shown some intent on Wenger's part although when Arteta deal was called off i was worrying for us, and Wenger. Anyway, my prediction for the end of the season:

3rd: Chelsea
4th: Liverpool/Arsenal
5th: Arsenal/Liverpool

"Optimistic" and you're aiming for 4th/5th???

I'm a bit nervous about it to be honest - I've not seen a lot of him, but when I have seen him he's been slow and clumsy on the ball. Wenger is usually spot on, though and although it's a late deal, he's scouted him for a while and they've been negotiating all summer. Nervous, yet confident he can rise to the challenge.

Also, Mike - have to hold up my hands on this one. You were absolutely right about Lille being ****** off at Wenger - I (perhaps naively) assumed they were a little peeved - particularly at the player - but understood that business is business.

Lille reveal farcical Chu Young Park airport chase to stop Arsenal transfer | Metro.co.uk
By the way - Sorry about the whole "signing your player" thing, ajt. Cba to go back 10s of pages but it seems we pulled out due to his wage demands and Arteta's people called our bluff and re-started talks. Not sure Arteta needed to "ask for a move", but he certainly doesn't seem to have been a whiny **** about it... Hope you're happy-ish with the transfer (and the money you've received - probably a little lower than you might have got, but not too far off.

Plug:

Summer transfer window roundup: analysing the deadline day five | Arsenal Report
Not written by me, so any criticism aim Ix's way in the comments section or by phoning her on 141-999 (South African number, y'know?)

Well, if it didn't happen last night, was probably going to happen January because we're simply not progressing. Still a bit riled by the timing-but football is a business, and it was a last minute business deal...nothing can be done about it. Money was a tidy amount I suppose-however Moyes will only get around £3 million from yesterdays/todays transfers, but meh. But he deserves European football like I mentioned earlier-he has ambitions like any player and we can't match them. Just hoping this won't affect Fellaini contract talks though thats my main concern. Good luck to Mikel-hope he does well. Least he didn't do a Nasri and be a disrespectful little twonk.

My main bug bear though is all of a sudden I'm hearing Everton fans suddenly panning him, saying he can only pass left, right or backwards. They obviously have very short memories and forget what he has done for the club. For gods sake get over it. It's over-time to move on.

Last edited:

Plug:

Wow, ok I knew they were annoyed (chairman had a right little rant). Didnt realise they ****** chased him!

Mertesacker, providing you dnt play a massively high line he is excellent. I guess a lot depends on Arsenal's tactical approach

After how the start of the season has gone, yeah. Hoping for 4th, but Liverpool are strong, so 4th and 5th between us will be close.

We're 3 games in... Liverpool have spent a lot of cash, and look good early on but IMO the signings we've made are enough to ensure us 4th place at least. Hoping for more than that, tbh and there shouldn't really be a "settling in" period with them as part of the reason our transfers take so ****** long is because we scout players for ages - could be 2 or 3 years without being 'officially' interested - to make sure they're right for the club. Benayoun (back-up anyway) and Santos may need a bit of time as they seem to be fairly opportunistic/randomn but the others should be fine.

Injury-wise, we're now covered pretty well - two good LBs, at least 3 if not 4 good CBs, 2/3 good CFs if Chamakh can re-find form and Afobe offers us something different, Arteta who can play wide, central or advanced, etc. - I firmly believe we can kick on and do much better than is expected of us.

------

Mike - IKR? Hilarious - albeit slightly worrying that a long-standing relationship between the two clubs has been somewhat fractured. Comments from Seydoux re: Wenger were still a little OTT I think, but heat of the moment and all that I suppose.

Re: high line, we will play one but as the article I posted shows, BFG reads the game well (most interceptions in Bremen last season) and he will hopefuilly have a partner in Koscielny (one would assume, looking at his past partnerships at Bremen, that he'll be TV5's back-up and/or played vs Stoke etc.) similar to those he's had before. Will put extra emphasis on our pressing game, though - as well as Wilshere's defensive responsibilities and sweeping out to cover for LB.

I think as soon as Wilshere's back playing will start rising the table. BTW who's our 3rd captain since wasn't Vermaelen promoted to vice captain?

I think as soon as Wilshere's back playing will start rising the table. BTW who's our 3rd captain since wasn't Vermaelen promoted to vice captain?

I thought he was VC?

He is - Quasit means he was 3rd choice last season and is now 2nd...

And I have no idea. Rosicky perhaps? Or failing that probably Sagna - he usually gives it to oldest players after first (two) choice(s).

He is - Quasit means he was 3rd choice last season and is now 2nd...

And I have no idea. Rosicky perhaps? Or failing that probably Sagna - he usually gives it to oldest players after first (two) choice(s).

Derp, I thought he had the words Vermaelen and wasn't the other way round.

I'd assume Rosicky, Sagna, Arshavin and maybe even Mikel Arteta. On an unrelated note, lol at Koscielny's picture on Wiki.

pretty sure rosicky is the 3rd captain. is he still the Czech.rep captain too. ?

lol few years back almulia used to be captain. hahhaha XD

---------- Post added at 11:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 AM ----------

attacking LB are so common.

Ashly cole was also an attacking LB , but still in defence. similar with santos, abit like dani alves the LB. lol

Back