The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Too expensive for a player we don't really need imo. Yes, he'd be nice to have, but not for that price...

Oh Chamakh...

ChamakhShisha.jpg

Too expensive for a player we don't really need imo. Yes, he'd be nice to have, but not for that price...
A player we don't really need? Sorry, but he is most definately a player we could do with. Would automatically be one of the best midfielders we have and would provide genuine competition/rotation for Song.

Plus he is only 21, so £20 million now for a world class player we could potentially have at the club for 10 seasons or more who is only going to get better. It's a no brainer, if we can get him we have to take him.

One defensive minded midfielder on the pitch is enough imo. And I think we have one of world's best defensive midfielders atm. So no, I wouldn't pay 20M for someone to sit on the bench. + I would like to see Coquelin get some playing time.

A player we don't really need? Sorry, but he is most definately a player we could do with. Would automatically be one of the best midfielders we have and would provide genuine competition/rotation for Song.

Plus he is only 21, so £20 million now for a world class player we could potentially have at the club for 10 seasons or more who is only going to get better. It's a no brainer, if we can get him we have to take him.

So what happens to frimpong & coquelin do they not deserve a chance to prove there worth?

So what happens to frimpong & coquelin do they not deserve a chance to prove there worth?
In all honesty, I wouldn't care if Frimpong were to leave. Coquelin can stay and he will get a shot. But if we want to win titles we can't have one key player (in this case Song) only backed up by a couple of kids. Because if Song goes down or Cameroon make the ACN we have no Song and have to rely on relatively unproven talent to fill in for him. Besides, M'Vila doesn't have to play solely in the holding midfield role, he could playing on the same side as Arteta does now with Arteta, Wilshere or Ramsey playing ahead.

We can't pass on a player of this quality just because a couple of kids might not get an oppurtunity. Otherwise you could say why get Podolski when we have Afobe and Campbell who can play upfront? Sometimes you have to look at the best option for the team rather than saying we have a couple of guys who could turn out to be good. Competition for places brings out the best in some.

Last edited:
Some matches we need two battlers on the middle. Also Song is so much more than just a defensive midfielder anymore so him playing with M'vila would give more freedom to his game and it could evolve into something even better. Also who really thinks Frimpong is anymore ready for first team after his short spell at Wolves? He wasn't ready then and he isn't now. First get him fit and use get some games on him in preseason and then loan him. Coquelin is young and wouldn't get to perhaps any prem teams first eleven yet so if he whines about not getting game time then sell him. Team and success comes before one good prospect. For now he's rotation/squad player.

And in the past when we used to win something ( Can you still remember those times? :) ) we used quite often two defensive midfielders in the middle. Viera, Gilberto, Petit...

Edit: Philly got there first. :(

Last edited:
Wilshere will play a friendly behind closed doors tomorrow morning.

In all honesty, I wouldn't care if Frimpong were to leave. Coquelin can stay and he will get a shot. But if we want to win titles we can't have one key player (in this case Song) only backed up by a couple of kids. Because if Song goes down or Cameroon make the ACN we have no Song and have to rely on relatively unproven talent to fill in for him. Besides, M'Vila doesn't have to play solely in the holding midfield role, he could playing on the same side as Arteta does now with Arteta, Wilshere or Ramsey playing ahead.

We can't pass on a player of this quality just because a couple of kids might not get an oppurtunity. Otherwise you could say why get Podolski when we have Afobe and Campbell who can play upfront? Sometimes you have to look at the best option for the team rather than saying we have a couple of guys who could turn out to be good. Competition for places brings out the best in some.
As a neutral [Liverpool] fan, that's definitely not the Arsenal way. Arsène Wenger wouldn't just splash out £20 million, although Yann M'Vila is a fantastic and young player. When Wenger has prospects in the team, he just doesn't do it like that. If he is to sign someone for defensive midfield, I think it would be an old and experienced player, as you already have a class player, in Alex Song, and good youth, in Francis Coquelin and Emmanuel Frimpong, there.

However, your points are valid but Wenger will just not do so. This is what many Arsenal fans hope for every season, and it turns out that Wenger signs another youngster or a player past it. Plus, I think M'Vila will cost more than £20m, I'm not sure though. It just isn't the Wenger way and, with Coquelin and Frimpong coming through, he probably isn't looking buy in this position.

​- PZW

As a neutral [Liverpool] fan, that's definitely not the Arsenal way. Arsène Wenger wouldn't just splash out £20 million, although Yann M'Vila is a fantastic and young player. When Wenger has prospects in the team, he just doesn't do it like that. If he is to sign someone for defensive midfield, I think it would be an old and experienced player, as you already have a class player, in Alex Song, and good youth, in Francis Coquelin and Emmanuel Frimpong, there.

However, your points are valid but Wenger will just not do so. This is what many Arsenal fans hope for every season, and it turns out that Wenger signs another youngster or a player past it. Plus, I think M'Vila will cost more than £20m, I'm not sure though. It just isn't the Wenger way and, with Coquelin and Frimpong coming through, he probably isn't looking buy in this position.

​- PZW

Wenger already bid for M'vila in the last Summer window.

Yeap 20m euros if I remember correctly was confirmed by Rennes. Rejected because it came too late in window. Same for Hazard.

Yeap 20m euros if I remember correctly was confirmed by Rennes. Rejected because it came too late in window. Same for Hazard.

And we bid for Gotze too last summer if all those reports are to be believed. Imagine the line-up we might have had if we'd done our transfer business earlier.

​- PZW
Personally I don't think Frimpong has a future with us, from what I've seen of him this season he runs around alot often getting himself out of position and struggles with passing, failing to even find players less than 10 meters away from him. Coquelin on the other hand does have a bright future and he'll be with us for a while. But why do M'Vila and Song have to play solely as the holding mid? Song has shown this season he knows how to pick a pass so why not have him play alongside M'Vila, leaving M'Vila to do most of the defensive side while Song can push forward a little more than he can now. They are both versatile enough that they can play more than just the position. I'm pretty sure Wenger would realise that and as has been said, we bid for him earlier this season so there is genuine interest from us.

Last edited:
And it was rejected; so I think the price of M'Vila has increased even more, and Wenger will be even less willing to splash out. Wenger just doesn't spend huge amounts of money on one player, although maybe he will start spending large soon! He did buy Gervinho last summer for £11 million (?).

​- PZW

And it was rejected; so I think the price of M'Vila has increased even more, and Wenger will be even less willing to splash out. Wenger just doesn't spend huge amounts of money on one player, although maybe he will start spending large soon! He did buy Gervinho last summer for £11 million (?).

​- PZW

He was pretty close to Rennes' asking price IIRC, what he bid was already going to break his transfer record. M'vila can cover two midfield roles comfortably, he's a potentially world class player who has already become central to France. Arteta is 30+, as is Rosicky, so preparations need to be made to have new midfield cover.

Why is it Arsenal fans always complain they always buy youth instead of world class players, and then when linked strongly with M'vila, it's "What about Coquelin?". Should you not sign Podolski either because of Campbell and Afobe?

Well, maybe it's because Coquelin is slightly better than Campbell or Afobe... Those 2 just aren't ready for first team football.

Personally, I'd love to see us sign M'Vila but I just can't see it happening. One, Wilshere should return next season and he is kinda like a deep-lying playmaker too somewhat similar to M'Vila (although granted Yann is probably much better defensively). Second, is the issue with Coquelin and Frimpong as well as Ramsey. If neither Coquelin or Frimpong are loaned out next season and M'Vila is signed, we will have three plus Ramsey, Song, Wilshere, Arteta, Rosicky all competing for three spots in the middle. Finally, because of all those options, I wonder whether Wenger will actually be willing to pay the top money needed to land M'Vila.

One, Wilshere should return next season and he is kinda like a deep-lying playmaker too somewhat similar to M'Vila (although granted Yann is probably much better defensively).
I'd be suprised if Wilshere wasn't tried playing further up where Rosicky/Ramsey play now. Not saying he will move there for good but I suspect if we got M'Vila, Wilshere or Arteta would play behind RVP.

Second, is the issue with Coquelin and Frimpong as well as Ramsey. If neither Coquelin or Frimpong are loaned out next season and M'Vila is signed
If we got M'Vila one of the two, and far more likely to be Frimpong, would be loaned.

We will have three plus Ramsey, Song, Wilshere, Arteta, Rosicky all competing for three spots in the middle. Finally, because of all those options, I wonder whether Wenger will actually be willing to pay the top money needed to land M'Vila.
While I understand the point you are making about eight into three midfield spots not working we also need depth. All it would take is a couple of injuries and suddenly the squad is starting to get stretched. Also, if we are to compete in all four competitions that would be over 50 games in the season, surely it would be best to be able to give someone like Wilshere a rest and be able to call on a player like M'Vila to play in his place rather than say Coquelin (nothing against him, he is talented but fairly unproven still).

So, ref completely missed the red card on Song from Balotelli. Could be a huge decision for lately in the game.

Does anybody know any good livestream websites, can't watch the match because my sister is having her party downstairs...

Back