The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Some of you guys really have no clue, this isn't FM. You can't have two world class keepers fighting for one spot, in real life one just finds a new club. I would say that I agree with Vertonghen being an option, as he wants to come to the club and this would allow us to have a little CB/Left Back support, as Vermaelen has played very well there earlier in the season, and also gives a backup enforcer for Song as he can play DM, though admittedly I have no idea if he's quick enough on the ball to play this role with. This perhaps lets Wilshere drop into the AMC role. Hazard or Gotze would be great, but lets be realistic, Podolski and Vertonghen I'd be happy with.

M'Villa has been talked about for a while alongside buying Fellani from Everton, and perhaps for 4-2-3-1 against tough sides it would give us the dual defensive midfielder lineup we've not had since Petit/Vieira which sured up the middle and allowed good possession. I just can't see him joining when we already have Song, Arteta, Wilshere and Ramsey, it isn't the way Wenger does transfers. Perhaps this would encourage Ramsey to really work on his game, though.

You are right about GK situation. Wenger has 3 options now. 1. Buy young GK to threaten Woj in couple of years ( Butland ) 2. Buy / Sign on free old GK who has couple years left in him to be useful backup 3 Or promote some of our current young goalkeepers to 3rd spot.

I dont know where have you all taken this idea of using Vertonghen as backup Left Back? Haven't seen him play there ever for Ajax or for Belgium NT either. It's Vermaelen who plays there if needed for Belgium NT.

Wenger has already bidded 20m for M'vila last summer. If we manage to sell both Denilson and Diaby then we need player in this position.

Getting M'vila would mean we have 2 players for every midfield position + Coquelin. Arteta/Wilshere, Rosicky/Ramsey and Song/M'vila. Coquelin's versatility allows him to play in either Arteta or Song role and as a either side FB if needed.

I don't see what is wrong with just keeping Fabianski as Szczesny's back-up. If it wasn't for his shoulder injury last season Fabianski would be our first choice right now and before his injury he was playing very well. IMO we only need to go looking for a keeper if he decides he wants to move elsewhere and be first choice.

Not sure why Ramsey is being talked about in terms of whether we need M'Vila either. Ramsey is an attacking midfielder while M'Vila will play in the double pivot either in place of or alongside Song. They play completely different positions so the presence of Ramsey isn't going to have any influence on any deal for M'Vila.

I dont know where have you all taken this idea of using Vertonghen as backup Left Back? Haven't seen him play there ever for Ajax or for Belgium NT either. It's Vermaelen who plays there if needed for Belgium NT.

I don't think he can play left back? Or rather, he's untested as you say. The point was that if he joins it gives extra CB/LB support as Vermaelen can then move to left back if required, without forcing Mertersacker or Djourou to play with Koscielny which has been quite a hindrance this season.

I think he did play as a left-back for Belgium once or twice, but I'm not sure... But it's certainly not his natural position. He played as a right-back too, but he's just much better as central defender, or as defensive mid.

Since Djourou signed a new contract, getting Vertonghen is not happening. Verm + Kosc make our main partnership. Mertasacker fills in during injury which always happens. So we have 3 good defenders doing their job. Then in the rare event of more injuries Djourou fills in. Djourou has been at Arsenal for years so Wenger wouldn't sell him, because he's also happy to be that rotation role.

On top of Podolski I'd say selling deadwood is a priority rather than bothing with Hazard. Because we aren't going to get someone like him, top clubs want him and he'll obviously go for the better clubs giving better money eg. Real Madrid. As much as I'd want another top player, we aren't getting anyone except Podolski who we have a good chance with.

Hazard said he wanted to move to England this summer, so he's not going to Real. CL football is a requirement too, so that leaves 4 possible clubs, the 2 Manchesters, and I's say probably Arsenal and Tottenham. I thought United were showing more interest in signing Modric, if so they're not gonna buy Hazard. But it's not really possible to tell.

I agree about selling the deadwood. Squilacy, Bendtner, Chamakh, Denilson, etc. are earning way too much.

Apparently AOC is going to be offered a new 50k per week deal. I don't think he should be on that much at just 18 years old... Yes he has shown promise but I mean he still has a lot to learn. I think if he plays well next season then we should offer him a new contract just not on 50k per week.

I imagine we already have him tied down for the next 4 seasons or so and we have more pressing concerns this summer then giving him a pay rise. I suspect that one is just paper talk.

I understand why Wenger is reluctant to buy players though. We have lots of great potential coming up through the ranks.

If we buy M'Vila, Frimpongs/Coquelins development will slow - and those two can be two great players (especially Frimpong.)
If we buy Vertonghen, we will have too many centre backs competing for a place. Vermealen, Koscienly, Mertesacker, and, too a lesser extent, Djourou. Koscienly and Vermealen are a great pairing as well.

Podolski will be a stellar signing, since he improves an area which needs improving. The problem is: we have too much potential, which isn't fulfilled, or is still being fulfilled. Buying risks reducing the development of future stars, but not buying results in an inexperienced side - which does not have guidance.

Still - Wenger is the right man for the job.
I hope this time he rebuilds properly, and gets rid of the deadwood as fast as possible (Almunia, Squillaci, Arshavin, Chamakh, Park Chu-Young, Denilson, Vela, Bendtner, Benayoun (once his loan finishes - I hope Wenger chooses not to buy him), and possible Diaby (since, he's injured all the time))
And then, he should replace the players appropriately. He shouldn't leave it till the last minute as well.

(Looking at the deadwood - they must take up 40% of the clubs wage bill... :O)

Last edited:
I'd be fine if Podolski was our only buy. I mean, where else do we need improvement? LB position maybe, but Santos was OK before his injury, and Gibbs is doing great atm imo.

The tragedy of people with no football sense managing football leads to such stupid fines/bans.

According some reports from Italy Juve are interested in Djourou. Hope it's true and we can sign Vertonghen. Some reports link us with Aymen Abdennour or something like that, but I'd prefer Vertonghen.

Also we appear still to be keen on " Turkish Henry " Burak Yilmaz. If we manage to offload Chamakh and Park then he's good option to sign with Podolski and could fit us fine. He's also quite cheap with 5m euros transfer clause.

If we buy M'Vila, Frimpongs/Coquelins development will slow - and those two can be two great players (especially Frimpong.)
If either of those two are going to be great, it's going to be Coquelin.

Back