The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Considering what he does in most games, which is links the midfield with simple passes, keeps the ball and finds space to receive a pass - with little fuss, no headline grabbing drama - he is in many respects a poor man's Xavi for Arsenal.

It's going to be interesting when Wilshere comes back from injury, as the last month or two Rosicky has been very good indeed. Benayoun will go back to Chelsea and hopefully next season we can build on it.

It's amazing to think where the team is now compared to the first couple of months, when we had three centre backs and all our fullbacks injured and ended up playing the 17 year old Miquel. Would be right up there chasing United.

Lets not get too ahead of ourselves. This was a good win against City Side. A City side who were also missing their two best players, playing away and were in a bad patch of form. Arsenal have played well enough to deserve a CL place, nothing more.

Forgot Benayoun was a Chelsea player tbh >.<

Also interesting to see if Wilshere returns the same player, its shocking that he has not played a minute of competitive football this season.

Its not only that. City have been disastrous in Europe despite having one of the best and largest squads around. They have totally lost the plot in the second half of the season. Its inexcusable considering that Mancini has had millions to spent which subsequently has piled the club with deadwood.

Also his control of the Tevez situation. His failure to handle Mario Balotelli. Both of which have caused unease in the City dressing room. His failure to manage Silva and Yaya's workload so that they will be better prepared to give a 100% throughout the whole season.

Deserves to be sacked in my opinion. he has been given enough time and support and has not delivered

Bit of an over reaction? They were awful in Europa league, but in Champions League they got 10 points from a difficult group and finished 3rd. How often do you get 10 pts in a ECL group and not qualify though? I would say they were pretty decent in the Champions League to be honest and were slightly unlucky. Napoli and Bayern are no easy sides.

Well, to be "chasing" united we'd only need an extra 10 points to be in City's position, which isn't a lot to ask considering games thrown away left the team sitting in the bottom five early on. I absolutely agree the side doesn't deserve a title, but saying that losing -all- the defenders and filling in with the u18 members isn't going to be a huge problem is rather missing the point.

None of the top sides have been very consistent this season mind you, so fully expecting it to change come August.

Bit of an over reaction? They were awful in Europa league, but in Champions League they got 10 points from a difficult group and finished 3rd. How often do you get 10 pts in a ECL group and not qualify though? I would say they were pretty decent in the Champions League to be honest and were slightly unlucky. Napoli and Bayern are no easy sides.

They had a much better squad than Napoli to be fair. Even in attack.

Agreed Bayern is not a easy side but still Manchester City had a squad better equipped than most to deal with a gruelling fixture list and their failed to do so. Silva was over-played in the first half of the season

Well, to be "chasing" united we'd only need an extra 10 points to be in City's position, which isn't a lot to ask considering games thrown away left the team sitting in the bottom five early on. I absolutely agree the side doesn't deserve a title, but saying that losing -all- the defenders and filling in with the u18 members isn't going to be a huge problem is rather missing the point.

None of the top sides have been very consistent this season mind you, so fully expecting it to change come August.

Injuries are part and parcel of the game though. Manchester United have had missed 4-5 players at one point in time yet they soldiered on. Plus points dropped in winnable games is again part and parcel for every team. Arsenal never looked like challenging for the title once this season and to be fair, no one expected them to. 3rd place finish would be a fantastic achievement

Oh agreed, but that's Utd for you, and what, right now, sets them apart. They grind through those tough games and keep picking up points. Fergie is great at it, a man apart.

And 4-5 at one point in time? I do agree they had quite a few out with Carrick at one point playing centre half, though if I remember correctly he used to do that for Spurs a fair bit.

Let me explain. Gibbs, Santos, Sagna, Jenkinson, Djourou, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Rosicky and Mertersacker - at the same time. That's pretty much the first team and all the backups for them.

Again, I am not saying they would be challenging for the title, merely they would be the ones "doing the chasing". I think assuming 10 points gained (which is how far we are behind City) when you have 9 first team players out from a squad of 25 isn't too tough to assume, especially given how close the City vs Arsenal game was at the Ethiad. I'm simply saying there is an awful lot of positives to take forward for next season.

78 goals, 25 wins, 4 draw and 3 losses from 32 games isn't consistent? Maybe you set your standards too high.

78 goals, 25 wins, 4 draw and 3 losses from 32 games isn't consistent? Maybe you set your standards too high.

It's fair to say that United have turned those losses & draws around, as they usually do - but have hardly looked amazing doing so. They've done what United are great at, making the best of it and taking advantage ruthlessly. Consistently winning I'd agree with, I just don't feel they have been as consistently "great" as past seasons, more efficient at picking up the points. My point with the other top sides being inconsistent, is that it therefore meant that United have not had to be, especially with City's collapse.

Obviously with the competition City has brought to the table it's made the United players raise their game, as they're definitely turning the draws to wins this season to grab a lead. Fully deserved title.

Last edited:
It's fair to say that United have turned those losses & draws around, as they usually do - but have hardly looked amazing doing so. They've done what United are great at, making the best of it and taking advantage ruthlessly. Consistently winning I'd agree with, I just don't feel they have been as consistently "great" as past seasons, more efficient at picking up the points. My point with the other top sides being inconsistent, is that it therefore meant that United have not had to be, especially with City's collapse.

Obviously with the competition City has brought to the table it's made the United players raise their game, as they're definitely turning the draws to wins this season to grab a lead. Fully deserved title.
We're averaging more goals per game in the league this season than we have in any other Premier league season bar 1999-2000.
I know it's not really the thread for this but I do think we're not really getting the credit we deserve for our performances this season. People seem determined to make out that we've just been grinding out wins when we have actually played quite well.
Our abysmal European form has probably played a part in putting a shadow over our league form.

Oh agreed, but that's Utd for you, and what, right now, sets them apart. They grind through those tough games and keep picking up points. Fergie is great at it, a man apart.

And 4-5 at one point in time? I do agree they had quite a few out with Carrick at one point playing centre half, though if I remember correctly he used to do that for Spurs a fair bit.

Let me explain. Gibbs, Santos, Sagna, Jenkinson, Djourou, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Rosicky and Mertersacker - at the same time. That's pretty much the first team and all the backups for them.

Again, I am not saying they would be challenging for the title, merely they would be the ones "doing the chasing". I think assuming 10 points gained (which is how far we are behind City) when you have 9 first team players out from a squad of 25 isn't too tough to assume, especially given how close the City vs Arsenal game was at the Ethiad. I'm simply saying there is an awful lot of positives to take forward for next season.

Not sure I buy this, United have had more injuries than any side in the prem, we've had centre mids playing centre backs, wingers playing full back, and full backs playing centre mid, more times than i'd like.

Carrick played CB only a very few times for Spurs. As pointed out above, United are not getting the credit they deserve for where they are.

Jack’s Not Back + Premier League Injury Table | LadyArse

I've just seen the "challenge" made by Balo. That literally made me cringe-how he wasn't horribly injured is beyond me. Looks like Balo is back to ususal dickish self. That guy is just an absolute mug.

(And yes I cheered the Arteta goal-typical classy finish. Different team-still a legend in my eyes)

Last edited:
I've just seen the "challenge" made by Balo. That literally made me cringe-how he wasn't horribly injured is beyond me. Looks like Balo is back to ususal dickish self. That guy is just an absolute mug.

(And yes I cheered the Arteta goal-typical classy finish. Different team-still a legend in my eyes)

that balo should he been sent off in the 1st half. nearly broke songs leg :( i wont be surprised if he gets sold in the summer.

Pretty sure you've said this before but that deal has worked out brilliantly for both parties.

We got a quality midfielder who controls all of our play and Everton got £10mill for a 30-year old that allowed them to buy a striker who actually knows how to score.

that balo should he been sent off in the 1st half. nearly broke songs leg :( i wont be surprised if he gets sold in the summer.

From what I've heard Mancini has warned him that if he keeps it up he's on his way out of City. And by the sounds of it he's ****** off everyone-there was a bust up in the City dressing room. Supposed to have really kicked off big time

Just had to post this: :D

Poznan.jpg

Loved when the Arsenal supporters started singing "Nasri, what's the score?" And i even like Samir Nasri.

Play two times before any of the others in the battle for Top 4 play, great chance to go 8 points clear of Tottenham and Newcastle and 10 ahead of Chelski. Then there is the Chelski game which could take us 11 clear and if that happened surely it would be over. Got to take advantage of this chance to build up a big gap.

What a weekend for a gooner.
Arsenal win
Spurs lose
Chelsea draw
CLASS BEATS CASH
ARSENAL:wub:
I think we can even get 2nd place now.

Back