The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
He has potential, personally I thought he looked much better before he had that leg break, has not looked the same player since coming back from that injury.

Well now I kind of understand cos he's played in the middle, but it's useless playing him on left. We have Ox who has bigger potential IMO.

Classic 3-0 win and 5 points clear from Sp*rs and Newcastle. Wolves definitely the first to relegate now.

van Persie scored the cheekiest penalty ever. Good win overall though. Oh and Djourou looked surprisingly solid at the back not that he (or Vermaelen) was tested much by Wolves' attack.

Djourou was excellent at CB for the most part last season, think he may have been harshly judged this season off his games at RB. His performances against Villa and now Wolves might well be saving his Arsenal career, even if he'll be fourth choice.

I think we played well for first 15 minutes or so and then we were quite sloppy. Lucky & thanks to Woj not to concede couple times. Santos was quite poor, but Szczesny showed again why he's a top dog here. World class save against Doyles header. Walcott was on fire for start of game then faded away. Song played further up and it showed sometimes. Ramsey did couple really great passes and then ****** up really easy ones. Good result, but quite poor performance.

If you're playing relatively poorly and still earning 3-0 wins then you're doing something right.

Part of me tonight thought we were going to lose due to a combination of a complacent effort and a Wolves resurgence but luckily that wasn't the case. 5 points clear of Spurs now, what a turn-around.

Never happy to contribute to the dooming of a team to the Championship but good luck to Wolves in the near future.

Djourou was excellent at CB for the most part last season, think he may have been harshly judged this season off his games at RB. His performances against Villa and now Wolves might well be saving his Arsenal career, even if he'll be fourth choice.

Problem is with Djourou is that for fans, he's either brilliant or shocking. Everyone seems to miss the obvious point, which is that he's a good fourth-choice centre-back, and that he's good enough to play against most opposition bar top teams reliably. He shouldn't be expected to perform in big games consistently.

Hmm, as comes down to a few things, though the key word from your post is consistency. He has shown he's able to step it up, and played a very good game against Barcelona where he kept his discipline, it just hasn't been seen in any run of games without a gaffe. In terms of assertiveness, you want centre backs to step up and take charge of the situation - to me at least, he seems happy to just collect and hoof it up the pitch, or he doesn't use simple defending techniques and gets done for a foul, which more often than not results in a turnover of possession. Also his passing, for a passing side, isn't good enough. That said, he can turn it on now and again, I just feel as 4th choice, and still relatively young for a centre back, he needs to work on his positioning so he doesn't get done by tricky strikers so he becomes reliable. My theory is that is why he looks so bad on the wing and why so many fans think he's awful, as skillful wingers do him all the time as he's flat footed/on his ****.

His wages at 3m a year is are a bit steep, but that's a club problem and not the player, but agree he is needed until some of the younger centre backs get transitioned in.

Interesting stat here following yesterdays win. RvP has scored 17/19 clubs in the EPL. Last man (Arsenal) to do this was Ian Wright.

Problem is with Djourou is that for fans, he's either brilliant or shocking. Everyone seems to miss the obvious point, which is that he's a good fourth-choice centre-back, and that he's good enough to play against most opposition bar top teams reliably. He shouldn't be expected to perform in big games consistently.
Your first point is spot on and sums him up. Last season for a while we averaged something like 400 minutes per goal conceded with him playing and after the 4-4 draw with Newcastle many saw him going off injured as a reason for the comeback. Then he got injured against United and came back and looked a completely different player and has until his last two games.

He is fairly good as a 4th choice, even if his 50k wages are rather high, but in a couple of seasons if he hasn't improved a great deal I'd prefer to see one of the younger guys from the academy promoted. Martin Angha is rated fairly highly so he could be a possibility.

Also heard good things of Angha, but I think he needs couple loans before he's ready. Also Miquel and Bartley are ahead of him in line. Both of them need to get loaned out to Prem clubs next season.

Djourou is perfect for a 4th choice CB. Sure he's eating a lot of money with wages but he doesn't really complain about not getting picked. You can takr that two ways: good professional that doesn't argue or lack of ambition.
But he can pull off decent performances every now and then.

Djourou is perfect for a 4th choice CB. Sure he's eating a lot of money with wages but he doesn't really complain about not getting picked. You can takr that two ways: good professional that doesn't argue or lack of ambition.
But he can pull off decent performances every now and then.
The problem is, though, he's not exactly very young anymore, and you really don't want to be paying a fourth choice centre back a lot of money (otherwise it will mess with the wage structure). It's really best to offload him, or play him in the first team (and hope he picks up form); but I think it's more likely he will be offloaded.

- PZW

So here's the deal. I'm making a mini-comeback 'cos I miss talking about football with vaguely intelligent people in more than 140 characters. Get over it.

---

Great win last night. I know it's Wolves, and I know they had 10 men for 80 minutes, but unlike other teams this season, we've been one of few that have kept going throughout and made it easy for ourselves with some lovely football and solid defending (not to mention a terrific save from Szcz).

3rd place should be ours now, and with Ivanovic officially out of the game at the Emirates, we've got a good chance of getting 3 points there, too and kicking the Chavs while they're down.

@redrup Yeah would you be happy to settle for that every year? By the looks of things you could. What is it coming to 8 years without a trophy, disgraceful. No wonder some fans are turning their back On AW.

But that's the thing mate, they arn't. Nice try trolling. Also, setting for it 14 years in a row is a pretty good record, and hopefully allows for a new sponsor in a season or two to start bringing in better players. Considering the amount he's spent, the amount of consecutive top finishes AW has managed is pretty impressive.

You need to understand, some clubs have a lot of history, and I think most fans are positive about the "potential" the club has, it's just about transitioning in a few quality players to realise that. Now we have the stadium built things are proving a lot easier, especially with Arteta joining the club and bringing some of the "team bonding" stuff he learnt from Everton turning us into an actual team.

Come on, if you want to start a discussion, do so. If you want to troll, I'd rather you didn't do it here.

@redrup Yeah would you be happy to settle for that every year? By the looks of things you could. What is it coming to 8 years without a trophy, disgraceful. No wonder some fans are turning their back On AW.
Why don't you worry about your own teams problems? You know, the not likely to finish top 4 so goodbye Champions League one.

As for the trophyless drought, obviously it's disappointing but there are some reasons why it has happened. Building a state of the art stadium while trying to get rid of the debt from it as quickly as possible, some poor transfers, a poor wage system that rewards average players and doesn't reward key players and mistakes on the field. As for the ones turning their back on Wenger, they aren't having much to say right now as he has proved them wrong. Again.

Back