The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Cologne were relegated today. Means Arsenal would have had to pay a lot less for Podolski. Would have been more competition for him, mind.

Did go through the man though, could have easily been given.

Arsene Wenger: 'We know we don’t get penalties here [at the Emirates], we have put that in our head now. We accept it."

Oh dear.
Can I just ask where you got this quote from - because the only quote I have seen from Wenger about penalties is ''Here the whole season we have got zero penalties. It is absolutely amazing, because you see other clubs who have got 10. I don't know (why the penalty was not given), we have to accept the decision of the referee.''

Can I just ask where you got this quote from - because the only quote I have seen from Wenger about penalties is ''Here the whole season we have got zero penalties. It is absolutely amazing, because you see other clubs who have got 10. I don't know (why the penalty was not given), we have to accept the decision of the referee.''

He said it in the post match interview today.

Concered about Vermaelen if I am being honest. Was culpable for the second goal by deciding he wanted to be a striker, when he did it against Newcastle it worked brilliantly and he scored against Wigan doing the same - but in the 26th minute with the score at 1-1? It's too early to be venturing that far forward especially when Song doesn't cover him. I think he needs to turn his attacking setting down a little and focus on the defending side sometimes.

He said it in the post match interview today.
Fair enough, none of the game reports I'd seen had mentioned it.

If Arsenal do not get top four finish is there any chance of a future for RVP at the club? Personally I am not sure if he is staying anyway but if they do not get top four they are in big trouble.

It might be out of hands, but i still have the faith whatsoever. Im all out on Man City to win tmr's game against Newcastle, and also Villa to atmost grab a draw (which seems unlikely :( )

Last edited:
It might be out of hands, but i still have the faith whatsoever. Im all out on Man City to win tmr's game against Newcastle, and also Villa to atmost grab a draw (which seems unlikely :( )

We can just hope Spurs lose points but that's not happening. If newcastle beat Man city we're out fo the top 4 for good.

If Arsenal do not get top four finish is there any chance of a future for RVP at the club? Personally I am not sure if he is staying anyway but if they do not get top four they are in big trouble.

I think the most important factor of Robin staying is that Board frees up funds for Wenger to use and he gets in players that can help us really fight for title next season. Podolski is good start, but we need more in order to be contenders. Second is CL qualification this season.

We can just hope Spurs lose points but that's not happening. If newcastle beat Man city we're out fo the top 4 for good.

Even if Ncastle win today I have high hopes on Everton to beat them or get draw.

I agree with the poster who said Vermaelen runs forward too often. He's a defender - he should stay back when we're drawing. A lot of people were saying that Song wasn't there to cover Vermaelen.
Why wasn't Vermaelen in his position? Song can't always focus on Vermaelen's movement. He also has to man mark as well.

Vermaelen and Song made 0 tackles that game.
Kos made 9.

I think that sums it up. That's why we need M'Vila. Somebody who just sits in front of our centre backs (or centre back - since TV5 keeps running up), and clears up any mess. Song is doing better in a box to box role.

Villa are fighting to stay up so I hope they turn out today. Tot's also have Fulham on last day which is no cakewalk.

I agree with the poster who said Vermaelen runs forward too often. He's a defender - he should stay back when we're drawing. A lot of people were saying that Song wasn't there to cover Vermaelen.
Why wasn't Vermaelen in his position? Song can't always focus on Vermaelen's movement. He also has to man mark as well.

Vermaelen and Song made 0 tackles that game.
Kos made 9.

I think that sums it up. That's why we need M'Vila. Somebody who just sits in front of our centre backs (or centre back - since TV5 keeps running up), and clears up any mess. Song is doing better in a box to box role.

Agree with you completely. Also Ramsey was no use helping defense. Thats why we need Wilshere back asap. Ramsey only jogged behind Norwich players not even trying to challenge for ball or get it back.

I fancy Villa to get a draw today, I think you'll be safe for a top 4 finish. The main concern would be Chelsea winning the CL - 4th might not be good enough!

On the topic of Vermaelen going forward - I think it's great to see a centre back doing it, and it really makes it difficukt for the opposition because strikers tend not to track him. I haven't seen the goals but I would think that Song, as the holding midfielder, should be able to read the danger and provide a bit of cover when he does go forward. Spearing did it on occassion for Liverpool when Agger roamed, it's just that Song is attack minded too and nobody takes responsibility to cover Vermaelen. Even a fullback could drop back and tuck in when he goes on a run, but there's not enough communication in the team. You need a real leader at the back or in midfield imo.

I also like Vermaelen's forward runs. Problem with that is that Song is our main man in midfield to create opportunities for Robin especially now with Arteta injured so that leaves space open between our midfield and defense and if our both FB's are on attack that leaves Kos alone in defense.

Song is far better as deeplying playmaker role than as defensive midfielder. Also Coquelin is quite similar to Song so he's no answer to our problem which is that we need pure anchor man. Frimpong is the closest thing, but after his injuries his not even close to readiness. M'vila / Javi Martinez is the player we need there. When Wilshere is fully fit he'd be perfect long term Rosicky replacement. He's far superior in every aspect to Ramsey ( dribbling , passing... )

I like Vermaelen going forward but he doesn't need to do it that often. I really hope we jump at the signing of M'Vila because you could see we really needed him yesterday. Actually hoping for a Newcastle win today and a Spurs draw. I think Everton can beat Newcastle next weekend.

I fancy Villa to get a draw today, I think you'll be safe for a top 4 finish. The main concern would be Chelsea winning the CL - 4th might not be good enough!

On the topic of Vermaelen going forward - I think it's great to see a centre back doing it, and it really makes it difficukt for the opposition because strikers tend not to track him. I haven't seen the goals but I would think that Song, as the holding midfielder, should be able to read the danger and provide a bit of cover when he does go forward. Spearing did it on occassion for Liverpool when Agger roamed, it's just that Song is attack minded too and nobody takes responsibility to cover Vermaelen. Even a fullback could drop back and tuck in when he goes on a run, but there's not enough communication in the team. You need a real leader at the back or in midfield imo.

'Nobody takes responsibility to cover Vermaelen'

I feel that's a bit harsh, 'Nobody took responsibility to cover Vermaelen' would have been more accurate IMO as Song is usually great at it.

'Nobody takes responsibility to cover Vermaelen'

I feel that's a bit harsh, 'Nobody took responsibility to cover Vermaelen' would have been more accurate IMO as Song is usually great at it.

Yeah he is usually good at it, but now with Arteta injury his needed further up field to create chances and Ramsey isn't capable of playing that deep role. ( He doesnt seem to be able to play any role for that matter... )

Coquelin might have been answer to that, but he wasnt chosen in starting line up.

Villa and City bailed us out big time. Now we need to get the job done next weekend.

Back