The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Obviously I'm very excited if we do sign M'Vila but I remain a wee bit paranoid considering what has happened in the last few years with regard to key player sales. There remains a part inside my head which keeps thinking there is a possibility that M'Vila, assuming he is signed, and Podolski may actually be replacements for Song and RVP respectively, rather than complements. Truly hope that's not the case though.

I feel exactly the same way Vlad. It's simply something I'm not used to. I have a feeling RVP will sit down at the end of the season and say to Wenger: "Look, I want to stay, but you have to commit to wanting to challenge next season, and bring the people in". Considering the cost to replace RVP, and the fact that'd probably make us lose Song/whoever else, it could be Wenger thinking lets get these guys on board to get the others to re-sign. In short: spending money on new players instead of needing replacements later.

Well Vlad I think it's still positive cos in past we have not signed players before we have sold some. This is **** good. Now only experienced GK to challenge Szczesny and Dempsey and this is close to perfect summer for me. Vertonghen would be the cherry on top if he'd join.

Also Robin is going to play for us next season if Wenger has the power to decide that. For me having Robin playing for us next season is worth far more than selling him for 25m this summer even if it means letting him go free next summer.

I'm willing to bet M'vila is solid. Arsenal have been chasing for a while, and Rennes said they would lose him at the end of the season. Not sure about Vertonghen though.

Only thing I'm unsure of - is that Rennes apparently rejected over 20m last season, so why would they accept 17? Especially given the huge shop window of the Euro's looming.

Only thing I'm unsure of - is that Rennes apparently rejected over 20m last season, so why would they accept 17? Especially given the huge shop window of the Euro's looming.

When they speak of 20m it means in euros and our current offer is 22m euros. Also it's only been confirmed that there was a bid, but the amount hasnt been confirmed if i remember right. I've seen couple sources which said that it was 10m and others that it was 20.

That offer came on deadline day or right at the end of the window so the main reason for it being turned down was probably not enough time for a replacement. Doing the deal this early gives plenty of time to sort out a replacement. I thought doing it before Euro was weird too, but as others have said, it's unlikely a DM is going to have much of an increase in price after a big tournament.

That offer came on deadline day or right at the end of the window so the main reason for it being turned down was probably not enough time for a replacement. Doing the deal this early gives plenty of time to sort out a replacement. I thought doing it before Euro was weird too, but as others have said, it's unlikely a DM is going to have much of an increase in price after a big tournament.

Exactly. Been checking some french sites and they seem to have several good replacement players lined up.

What a tool

[video=youtube;I3sZohPeu1M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3sZohPeu1M[/video]

Laurent Koscielny included into Blanc's provisional squad for Euro's.

Definately deserves it. Been by far our best defender this season.

Yeah I hope he comes back better than ever, I seriously want Arshavin to succeed.

Yeah I hope he comes back better than ever, I seriously want Arshavin to succeed.

I caught the majority of Zenit's last match, and Arshavin was pulling the strings for them. The player that joined Arsenal was on show, not the Arshavin of late. I cannot see him returning TBH, I think Zenit will make a move for him this summer.

On another note, I think Podolski may be an over-rated signing. He scores a fair amount of goals, but behind the four or five top teams in Germany, most of them are defensively shambolic. He was silent v Bayern both times this season, and barely touched the ball v Dortmund.
Even at international level, his goals(apart from two) are against low ranked sides, where any half decent striker would score.

I hope he does the job, but all I say is, don't expect 20 goals a season

I caught the majority of Zenit's last match, and Arshavin was pulling the strings for them. The player that joined Arsenal was on show, not the Arshavin of late. I cannot see him returning TBH, I think Zenit will make a move for him this summer.

On another note, I think Podolski may be an over-rated signing. He scores a fair amount of goals, but behind the four or five top teams in Germany, most of them are defensively shambolic. He was silent v Bayern both times this season, and barely touched the ball v Dortmund.
Even at international level, his goals(apart from two) are against low ranked sides, where any half decent striker would score.

I hope he does the job, but all I say is, don't expect 20 goals a season

Arshavin might move to another team in Prem also. He said that he wants his children to have english passports so in that way would make sense. Wages would be obstacle unless he takes wagecut. Still think permanent deal with Zenit is most likely.

Not expecting Podolski to set league on fire on his debut season. Would be happy to get 10+ goals and 5+ assists from him in league.

Arshavin might move to another team in Prem also. He said that he wants his children to have english passports so in that way would make sense. Wages would be obstacle unless he takes wagecut. Still think permanent deal with Zenit is most likely.

Not expecting Podolski to set league on fire on his debut season. Would be happy to get 10+ goals and 5+ assists from him in league.

He is too expensive for the teams in the PL that would want him, and those that can afford him have better options in his position(and Arsenal may not want to sell to them). Maybe Anzhi are an option too...

I would say that would be an exceptional season in the PL for him, he misfired in the BL with Bayern, and only seems to do well when he is the epicenter of a team, like he is/was at Koln.

He played really well for bayern. I dont get why there r so many people saying he is rubbish. At the time when he was at bayern everyone was complaining about both him and Schweinsteiger. The only Difference is Schweini is a throughbred Bayern player weres Podli is a Koln hearted player. So they sold him cheeply

He played really well for bayern. I dont get why there r so many people saying he is rubbish. At the time when he was at bayern everyone was complaining about both him and Schweinsteiger. The only Difference is Schweini is a throughbred Bayern player weres Podli is a Koln hearted player. So they sold him cheeply

I do not get how you can compare Podolski and Schweinsteiger? They are two completely different type of players.

I do not get how you can compare Podolski and Schweinsteiger? They are two completely different type of players.

He's not comparing them as players. Both had ****** run at time and he was sold because he wasnt Bayern product.

Back