The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I'll wait for Arsenal.com to confirm on Yann's transfer, even if its done. At last a proper DM to our formation. Song prefers attacking, while Yann prefers defending and it far more disciplined in that role.

Podolski =
Yann M'Villa =

Hoilett = pending
Dempsey = pending

Who else do we need ?

Hoilett/Dempsey to act as Arshavin's replacement ?. Depends on how well Arshavin does in the Euros

Last edited:
Just been looking some GK stats of this season and statswise Szczesny is one of the worst goalkeepers this season. Sure he does some spectacular saves, but average shots/saves ratio doesnt lie and it's too low.

I think he needs some competition for the spot to keep him on his toes.

I'll wait for Arsenal.com to confirm on Yann's transfer, even if its done. At last a proper DM to our formation. Song prefers attacking, while Yann prefers defending and it far more disciplined in that role.

Podolski =
Yann M'Villa =

Hoilett= pending

Who else do we need ?

Hoilett to act as Arshavin's replacement ?. Depends on how well Arshavin does in the Euros

I think we are still in for Vertonghen and if we manage 3rd I think he will choose us.

Also I'd rather see us signing Dempsey than Hoilett. We need older proven players rather than prospects and Dempsey is just that.

Just been looking some GK stats of this season and statswise Szczesny is one of the worst goalkeepers this season. Sure he does some spectacular saves, but average shots/saves ratio doesnt lie and it's too low.

I think he needs some competition for the spot to keep him on his toes.

This. We might be in for a experienced GK, presumably better than Wojo. Lets snap Paul Robinson, Jack Butland or Ben Foster quick :)

I think we are still in for Vertonghen and if we manage 3rd I think he will choose us.

Also I'd rather see us signing Dempsey than Hoilett. We need older proven players rather than prospects and Dempsey is just that.

Spurs looks more likely to grab JV from us, since they really need a CB.

Spurs looks more likely to grab JV from us, since they really need a CB.

They also got Caulker returning so they dont need him THAT badly. Also I think City are for him who could use another CB cos without Kompany and Lescott they are poorly covered in that department.

I have still believe he'll sign for us.

I'd love to believe the YM stuff since it gives us that "core" everyons says you need to have strength in the side, to be hard to break down. It does leave us with a pretty big squad and a lot of players on big contracts we need to sell though... I'm wondering how prudent AV wants to be with the reductions before he signs players, as I can see it being too late if he waits until he's offloaded Chamakh/Park/Bendtner/Denilson/Arshavin. Probably those guys have 17m between the in wages over the course of a year... and could be what we need to free up for that additional quality player.

Would love a quality winger who can go past a man though, Gervinho was obviously supposed to be that guy, with Miyaichi in the wings, but they both need to do some serious work on the training ground. When teams sit deep against us we have very big problems, additionally Sagna is 30 next year and plays a role where he's running up and down all day. Jenkinson is a long way from his level of reliability, definitely needs games/loan next season.

I'd love to believe the YM stuff since it gives us that "core" everyons says you need to have strength in the side, to be hard to break down. It does leave us with a pretty big squad and a lot of players on big contracts we need to sell though... I'm wondering how prudent AV wants to be with the reductions before he signs players, as I can see it being too late if he waits until he's offloaded Chamakh/Park/Bendtner/Denilson/Arshavin. Probably those guys have 17m between the in wages over the course of a year... and could be what we need to free up for that additional quality player.

Would love a quality winger who can go past a man though, Gervinho was obviously supposed to be that guy, with Miyaichi in the wings, but they both need to do some serious work on the training ground. When teams sit deep against us we have very big problems, additionally Sagna is 30 next year and plays a role where he's running up and down all day. Jenkinson is a long way from his level of reliability, definitely needs games/loan next season.

You have Walcott and the 'Ox.

We're going to have a cracking first team next season.
Szczesny
Sagna - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Gibbs
M'Vila - Arteta
Walcott - Wilshere - Podolski
van Persie

Keeper? - Mertesacker/Vertonghen - Santos - Song - Ramsey - Oxlade-Chamberlain - Gervinho
That would have to up there with the best in the league, definately comparable to Uniteds. Only issue will be depth, which has often been what has harmed us in the past. Would still have names like Djourou, Coquelin, Diaby, Rosicky and Miyachi to call on when they are needed.

We're going to have a cracking first team next season.
Szczesny
Sagna - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Gibbs
M'Vila - Arteta
Walcott - Wilshere - Podolski
van Persie

Keeper? - Mertesacker/Vertonghen - Santos - Song - Ramsey - Oxlade-Chamberlain - Gervinho
That would have to up there with the best in the league, definately comparable to Uniteds. Only issue will be depth, which has often been what has harmed us in the past. Would still have names like Djourou, Coquelin, Diaby, Rosicky and Miyachi to call on when they are needed.

Doubt Djourou will be kept if we sign Vertonghen. Juve are still interested in him according to some italian sources. Otherwise thats pretty right and if we were to add Dempsey to that the squad depth would be awesome. Also Joel Campbell will be granted WP most likely so he will be in first team for next season unless we keep either Chamakh or Park.

Song should always be in the team. Placing him on the bench is just stupid. I wouldn't care if we sell Santos btw. But yes, it's quality.

You have Walcott and the 'Ox.

Yeah, I know, but pace isn't as effective against teams which sit very deep, which was my point, you need to beat the man in front of you who has his back to goal. Chamberlain has much better technique than Walcott and can cut inside and link up, but he's 18 and still learning, hence presumably why we picked up Gervinho and Benayoun on loan. I think most games without Sagna at RWB shows how much the style of the team depended on Walcott bombing down the right with wing back support, and many teams pressured us successfully earlier in the season.

The comment was mainly about "why we need/don't need Hoilett", and in my view we just don't need him.

Song should always be in the team. Placing him on the bench is just stupid. I wouldn't care if we sell Santos btw. But yes, it's quality.

Placing him in the bench occasionally is smart. Or do you want to have another "Wilshere" situation where key member of the team is out for season because we overplayed him. If you look at Song he's not as good atm because all the games he has played are getting on to him. Particularly his defending has suffered.

No, I think it's good to rotate him, but he's still the first choice imo. And even now he manages to play very decently, with a beautiful assist again last Saturday.

No, I think it's good to rotate him, but he's still the first choice imo. And even now he manages to play very decently, with a beautiful assist again last Saturday.

Yes as a Box to Box / "Arteta" role, but not as our main defensive midfielder. He's too offensive minded for that. And we even dont know if he'll sign new contract and stay with us.

I'm worried about signing Clint Dempsey, don't get me wrong I love him he is my favorite player because of him being American but he is a big fish at Fulham and really excels. I'm worried if he joins Arsenal he will not live up to that because of the players around him. If we do sign him though that jersey is as good as ordered. :p

I'm worried about signing Clint Dempsey, don't get me wrong I love him he is my favorite player because of him being American but he is a big fish at Fulham and really excels. I'm worried if he joins Arsenal he will not live up to that because of the players around him. If we do sign him though that jersey is as good as ordered. :p

Many people had same kind of worries about Arteta this season and look at him. They are saying he's too old and stuff, but I think he's just the right age considering we have so many youngsters coming up we dont need another. Wenger has seen how big impact Arteta had with us so he must at least consider Dempsey now.

Also our american owners would probably like to have one american on team to boost merchandising sales in states.

I'd be happier atm signing Dempsey for 6-8m than getting Hazard over City/United.

Got to admit, with the signings of M'Vila and Podolski and a possible signing Of Vertonghen,

id make Arsenal my outside bet for the league next year! .. Best form in the league this year since january, and they are 3 quality players.. Wenger finally seems to be spending!

Back