The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I think we can challenge for the title next season with the only additions needed to be a new right back to back up Sagna and M'vila of course. I really hope Gervinho improves next season though I thought he was quite disappointing again today as he just tried to dribble around everybody.

3rd is good for Arsenal if you compare budgets with there rival teams. I respect the fact that there fans are being realistic. This season has been relatively successful when you'd consider they lost key players in Nasri and Fabregas last summer.

This.

Realism is in short supply it seems. I see in the other threads some people think their club will be spending 70m and buying big name players like 70m+ isn't an insane amount of money. Utter fantasy land, very few clubs can actually do this.

Of course it could be a better season, but you celebrate the small victories. Considering we had Fabregas and Nasri last season and finished 4th, selling them both and finishing 3rd with City only getting stronger surely is worth celebrating. The team has fought well to come back, helped by the teams around us struggling.

Obviously there is need to strengthen, need to solidify midfield and wingback cover especially. Hopefully Nasri's words, while typically of an unrefined fool like him, will go some way to solidifying Wenger's resolve when it comes to spending money on players where it's necessary.

Looks like Szczesny played last month with injury, hopefully he'll get back to being fit for Euros. I kind of find it hilarious Wenger would still rather play injured Szcz then healthy Flap.

I thought it would be nice to point out we actually finished with two more points this year then we did last year. So i think that that is quite a remarkable achievement especially with our start of seasons woe and supposedly losing our two best players. (three if you include wilshere)

Hopefully if we have a strong summer and get rid of all these people picking up there wages as Nasri talks about and replace them with some quality, then hopefully we will have something to cheer about next year.

Well Said. People need to realize that players moving to Manchester City these days do so because they have a legitimate chance of winning trophies. Maybe when Manchester City first started out then the claim could be made that those who moved there simply moved there because of money but that is not true at all

Also the statement I bolded was very interesting in the difference in mentalities of both clubs. Arsenal fans are celebrating a season where they won no trophies and finished third with half their goals scored by one player. This was a club that once used to be legitimate contenders for the PLM

Times change, we'll once again be that force at some stage in the future, but that time isn't now. Being realistic in the meantime isn't a bad thing.

sttotteringshamsday.jpg
Saw this on the internet :)

sttotteringshamsday.jpg

Saw this on the internet :)

Like I said early on, we battled with immense passion through the eye of the storm. 3rd place seems like a trophy this season for us. Let hope for even better next season.

I reckon there is a pretty solid chance we'll make an offer to Chelsea for Benayoun. He has been really good for the last two months since he started to get more gametime. Would definately be a really good player to have in and around the squad but the only problem would be he might want to go somewhere he will start week in and week out.

Well excuse us for being happy with third place. Before the season many 'experts' tipped us to fall out of the Top 4, after 7 games we sat 17th having lost 4 games, got pummled 8-2 by Manchester United and yet somehow managed to turn things around to end the season the best of the rest after the dominant Manchester duo. And van Persie scored 30 out of 74, not even close to half of our goals.

3rd is good for Arsenal if you compare budgets with there rival teams. I respect the fact that there fans are being realistic. This season has been relatively successful when you'd consider they lost key players in Nasri and Fabregas last summer.

Times change, we'll once again be that force at some stage in the future, but that time isn't now. Being realistic in the meantime isn't a bad thing.

Do not misunderstand my post, I am not saying that you have done badly to achieve a 3rd place finish or your being unrealistic by aiming higher. And obviously you lot are very happy about it but thats the reason Nasri moved to City.

Do not misunderstand my post, I am not saying that you have done badly to achieve a 3rd place finish or your being unrealistic by aiming higher. And obviously you lot are very happy about it but thats the reason Nasri moved to City.

Well, Na$ri moved to City cause he wanted to make the most money possible. His comments reveal that if he doesn't come out and say it (who would).

We are happy considering the context of how the season started. Most of us are not happy with 3rd in general and want to be winning the Premier league and CL. But, now is finally the real start of the payoff of the Board's 10year Ashburton Grove plan so we should be reaping the benefits of patience and thriftiness very soon (Podolski is good harbinger).

I honestly think RVP might want out, the fact he is saying stuff like "I will always be a gunner, no matter what happens" is kind of worrying. Also when ever interviewed if he did want to stay for certain and sign a new contract why would you not just tell everyone so the fans would not worry etc.

Chill people on RVP contract situation. And why will he leave the club that he loved after all this. Plus he has kids his wife to take care off, and i doubt they'll leave.

Anyways, just out of curiosity, if we really need a Cb, why dont we go for Mateo Musacchio. :P

I honestly think RVP might want out, the fact he is saying stuff like "I will always be a gunner, no matter what happens" is kind of worrying. Also when ever interviewed if he did want to stay for certain and sign a new contract why would you not just tell everyone so the fans would not worry etc.

If he'd say that he'd stay for certain he'd have no power to force board to free up funds for new signings.

Chill people on RVP contract situation. And why will he leave the club that he loved after all this. Plus he has kids his wife to take care off, and i doubt they'll leave.

Anyways, just out of curiosity, if we really need a Cb, why dont we go for Mateo Musacchio. :P

Good option, but IF we even are going for CB I think it's either Vertonghen or Aymen Abdennour who our scouts been looking this season.

Patrick Vieira left us the season after the unbeaten campaign and having just won 3 FA Cups in four years (including a double).
Thierry Henry left after his amazing 4-5 seasons and having just moved into the new stadium.

It's not uncommon and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he jumped ship now but we've secured Champions League football next season so that may be something to swing his mind.

EDIT: And I'm not a fan of Musacchio.

Patrick Vieira left us the season after the unbeaten campaign and having just won 3 FA Cups in four years (including a double).
Thierry Henry left after his amazing 4-5 seasons and having just moved into the new stadium.

It's not uncommon and I wouldn't at all be surprised if he jumped ship now but we've secured Champions League football next season so that may be something to swing his mind.

EDIT: And I'm not a fan of Musacchio.

A lot of players simply look for a new challenge, now matter how much they love the club, or how much success they have had at that club.

Yes, but where would he go? It'd have to be Madrid, Barca or City. Can't seem him going to city with Tevez and Aguero already there. Italian league is a maybe, but still, the biggest card he has to play is him sitting on the fence until the club recruits players.

Yes, but where would he go? It'd have to be Madrid, Barca or City. Can't seem him going to city with Tevez and Aguero already there. Italian league is a maybe, but still, the biggest card he has to play is him sitting on the fence until the club recruits players.

Reports linking him to Juve and both Milan clubs bit if he does go I'd like to see him in a Madrid kit.

Reports linking him to Juve and both Milan clubs bit if he does go I'd like to see him in a Madrid kit.

Both Milan clubs are out of question. Inter out of CL and Milan cant afford his wages as long as they have Ibra.

Back