The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I think Djourou had his wage increased up to 50k with his new contract and Chamakh is around the 60k mark IIRC. Podolski alone is probably going to be 80-90k. Even though Giroud isn't on much at Montpellier (read somewhere only 15k but surely that is wrong) we'll probably bump him up to around 50k. Looking at an increase of around 20k maybe but the quality of players make us better off.

He didnt get new contract. There was only a clause in his current one that it can be extended on same terms for another year if he wanted to.

You forget Almunia who's gone now and freed around 60k wages per week.

I think we might see quite sizeable decrease in wages if we manage to offload everyone even if we sign couple new players and renew RVP, Song and Walcott. Hopefully wages to revenue can be lowered below 50%.

Sebastien Squillaci’s nine minutes of league action cost Arsenal £200,000 last season, with the. Gunners’ third-place finish triggering an add-on deal with his former club Sevilla. (The Sun)

If true, wow.

It is true, except it was actually £250,000. Unfortunately I don't see us selling him due to his high wages, so I guess we are stuck with him until the end of the season.

Last edited:
Doesn't his contract end next season though? That is the only positive I see if we do keep him this year, he won't be around for next year.

Except he is taking up 50k per week for not playing at all. No positives whatsoever.

True but if we sell both him and Djourou who is our back up center backs? I mean I'd personally see us sell him over Djourou but if we lose both well then we have Miquel as the only back up really.

Except he is taking up 50k per week for not playing at all. No positives whatsoever.

I think only option would be to find him a club he can join on free. That would need him taking major wagecut so it's down to Money vs playing time.

True but if we sell both him and Djourou who is our back up center backs? I mean I'd personally see us sell him over Djourou but if we lose both well then we have Miquel as the only back up really.

We will promote either Miquel or Bartley, maybe both.

Miquel likely going on loan and dont actually know how good Bartley is. If he were good enough for that 4th CB spot then I'd heard already of him more.

We already have 3 good CB who all are different kind of players and we realistically only need one more.

Sad thing is, I forgot about Mertesacker as our 3rd center back lol. I hope Kyle Bartley is given a run this season.

Apparently the sale of Yann M'Vila has been put on the French stock exchange? Something about all transfers in France over 10mill have to. Would be an extremely good sign that we are closing in on our second confirmed transfer.

EDIT - Some more info from @sport_trend. Unsure on the reliability.

#ARSENAL: 1: Arsenal & M'vila agreed in principle 2010/11 season. 2: Arsenal approached Rennes at the end of 10/11 season with no headway 3: Arsenal approached Rennes again during 2011/12 season & agreed player can leave at the end of the season. 4: Fee agreed for the player by the 2 clubs. 5: Arsenal failed to agree personal terms with M'vila after many negotiations. 6:Arsenal agreed fee with M'vila before 5-2 win against spurs. All parties in agreement & deal done but, can't be made official yet All these means deal done based on principle & trust as the transfer must be officially approved by a stock exchange & listed. When a deal is listed it cannot pass through official announcement until cleared on the floor of the SE as reliable. Arsenal & Rennes can now officially put this deal to bed in ink, followed by a medical & official announcement by the 2 clubs.

I would kinda rate @sport_trend is a realiable one. they first broke about the Podolski news months back. again though, noting is legit until confirmed by Arsenal.com

I would kinda rate @sport_trend is a realiable one. they first broke about the Podolski news months back. again though, noting is legit until confirmed by Arsenal.com

Well we already knew about the M'Vila deal and that it was probably happening anyway, didn't need them to tell us that and their story about it being on the French stock exchange was a complete hoax.

the failure to agree on contract terms is probably why the board is saying they are going to be more liberal with wage budget

L'Equipe and Matt Spiro reporting that transfer worth €12 million (nothing on if Chamakh will be involved) for Giroud could be done by this weekend. QPR are also in for him and offering him a larger wage than we are but Giroud isn't afraid of competing with RVP and wants to come to us. Should be seeing this on the French stock market soon ;)

Last edited:
Will be a great signing, and apparently we can expect M'Vila around July 7-15.

I think we could play something similar to this with everyone fit:

Szczesny

Sagna - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Gibbs

M'Vila - Wilshere

Walcott - RVP - Podolski

Giroud​

As much as I'd like to see Arteta and Song continue to start, I don't think they would get into that team. Good for rotation though.

Szczesny

M'Vila - Wilshere

Walcott - RVP - Podolski

Giroud​

As much as I'd like to see Arteta and Song continue to start, I don't think they would get into that team. Good for rotation though.

I cannot see Arsene Wenger dropping Song after a fine season, he played his part in many goals and is still hard as a nut. I'd prefer something like this:

Szczesny

M'Vila - Song

Wilshere

van Persie - Giroud - Podolski

There's quite an even balance of attack and defence. We'll see, if these rumours are true.

With all these rumours going around i suddenly regret not renewing my season ticket.

I cannot see Arsene Wenger dropping Song after a fine season, he played his part in many goals and is still hard as a nut. I'd prefer something like this:

Szczesny

M'Vila - Song

Wilshere

van Persie - Giroud - Podolski

There's quite an even balance of attack and defence. We'll see, if these rumours are true.

I doubt he'll put RVP on the right, Wenger's probably going to have Giroud sit on the bench and play him when RVP is injured which he tends to be most seasons.

Back