The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
His contract will expire next summer. Apparently Zenit want Arshavin permanently and if that goes through we turn our attention to Dzagoev, as for Chelsea trying for Giroud, heard nothing of the sorts unless you heard the rumor where they mentioned "The Blues" which is also Montpelier's nickname so not for Chelsea.

Olivier Giroud to Arsenal definitely seems to be happening, the Montpellier manager has said on RMC Radio that we are very interested in him and that he wants to join. We just have to agree a deal.

His contract will expire next summer. Apparently Zenit want Arshavin permanently and if that goes through we turn our attention to Dzagoev, as for Chelsea trying for Giroud, heard nothing of the sorts unless you heard the rumor where they mentioned "The Blues" which is also Montpelier's nickname so not for Chelsea.

I think this Chelsea and Giroud is just media talk started by someone thinking Chelsea might sign him and loan Lukaku to replace him for one season. Doubt Chelsea will do that cos if Lukaku is loaned it will likely be to another Prem team.

Olivier Giroud to Arsenal definitely seems to be happening, the Montpellier manager has said on RMC Radio that we are very interested in him and that he wants to join. We just have to agree a deal.

Yeah we have super agent Koscielny working ON him day and night ;)

I'd like to see us turn our attention to right back honestly. I don't know if Jenkinson will be a suitable replacement for Sagna until he returns, I personally doubt it.

I'd like to see us turn our attention to right back honestly. I don't know if Jenkinson will be a suitable replacement for Sagna until he returns, I personally doubt it.

Debuchy with his lovely 8m release clause :wub: Say the word and we will unleash agent Koscielny.

Debuchy with his lovely 8m release clause :wub: Say the word and we will unleash agent Koscielny.
After his performance against England and the fact Wenger was at the game, I'd be surprised if he doesn't at least have a look at him.

Debuchy is 26 years old, so keeping in mind with his age I don't think he'll waste time by just being second to Sagna, our 1st choice CB. Wouldn't be surprised if Chelsea get him as Ivanovic replacement.

Either we stick with Jenkison, which assume will be the case, or we go for a 22 year old RB to replace Sagna when he gets to his end years.

I'll be a bit sad if Djourou leaves. He's such a loyal person, especially this season when we where unlucky to have no fullbacks for the 1st half of the season. Djourou loyalty was evident when he was willing to play at RB, even if its unorthodox by his standards. Sure he didn't perform well at RB, like that red card against at Cavern Cottage, but at least he was there 'physically' in the pitch.

Season 10-11 was the best of Djourou as a CB, especially that performance against Barcelona in the first leg. After that he fell of the limelight. Plus I'll miss his presence in the Arsenal Insider Show. :(

If he really does leave, then good luck to him where ever he goes.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/arsenal-johan-djourou-ready-to-quit-872653

Last edited:
Montepellier manager: "If possible we will take Chamakh on loan [in the Giroud deal]"

Seems like things might go as well as planned :P Chamakh out, Giroud in. That leaves Park maybe the 3rd choice striker, and maybe Afobe or Campell (if his WP gets a green light) as 4th.

Bendtner is already out of the question. Only his destination has to be set.

Last edited:
Afobe is more likely to be third choice than Park (but if a long-term injury struck RVP/Giroud, Podolski would go up front I assume), ideally he will be sold or go out on loan. No point playing Park when he obviously has no future with us when we've got two talented strikers just waiting for an oppurtunity. Expecting to see Afobe feature heavily in pre-season.

Not a bad start to the window so far with it looking like Djourou and Chamakh will leave with Podolski and Giroud coming in for a net total of only £6-7 million, although the two coming in are likely to have higher wages.

Afobe is more likely to be third choice than Park (but if a long-term injury struck RVP/Giroud, Podolski would go up front I assume), ideally he will be sold or go out on loan. No point playing Park when he obviously has no future with us when we've got two talented strikers just waiting for an oppurtunity. Expecting to see Afobe feature heavily in pre-season.

Not a bad start to the window so far with it looking like Djourou and Chamakh will leave with Podolski and Giroud coming in for a net total of only £6-7 million, although the two coming in are likely to have higher wages.

Might be that our salary get lower cos on Montpellier Giroud is on quite low wage and with us will be higher, but perhaps not as high as Chamakhs cos he came in on free transfer.

Also I think Park wont be playing for us next season.

Sylvain Wiltord retires aged 38 at Nantes. 104 Arsenal apps, 32 goals. We won the league at Old Trafford. Thanks Wiltord. LEGEND !

[video=youtube;bEB2lVaUNmI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEB2lVaUNmI[/video]

Might be that our salary get lower cos on Montpellier Giroud is on quite low wage and with us will be higher, but perhaps not as high as Chamakhs cos he came in on free transfer.

Also I think Park wont be playing for us next season.
I think Djourou had his wage increased up to 50k with his new contract and Chamakh is around the 60k mark IIRC. Podolski alone is probably going to be 80-90k. Even though Giroud isn't on much at Montpellier (read somewhere only 15k but surely that is wrong) we'll probably bump him up to around 50k. Looking at an increase of around 20k maybe but the quality of players make us better off.

Apparently the sale of Yann M'Vila has been put on the French stock exchange? Something about all transfers in France over 10mill have to. Would be an extremely good sign that we are closing in on our second confirmed transfer.

EDIT - Some more info from @sport_trend. Unsure on the reliability.

#ARSENAL: 1: Arsenal & M'vila agreed in principle 2010/11 season. 2: Arsenal approached Rennes at the end of 10/11 season with no headway 3: Arsenal approached Rennes again during 2011/12 season & agreed player can leave at the end of the season. 4: Fee agreed for the player by the 2 clubs. 5: Arsenal failed to agree personal terms with M'vila after many negotiations. 6:Arsenal agreed fee with M'vila before 5-2 win against spurs. All parties in agreement & deal done but, can't be made official yet All these means deal done based on principle & trust as the transfer must be officially approved by a stock exchange & listed. When a deal is listed it cannot pass through official announcement until cleared on the floor of the SE as reliable. Arsenal & Rennes can now officially put this deal to bed in ink, followed by a medical & official announcement by the 2 clubs.

Last edited:
A few people have pointed out that Rennes are privately owned, thus the deal wouldn't be posted on the stock exchange. Don't think it is legitimate at all.

Back