The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Wenger talks about a possible reunion to the good old 4-4-2 formation and plying Podolski in the centre with Giroud

“I think Podolski will play more central for us”, Wenger told Tsinghua University students in China on Thursday.

“Giroud [Arsenal's other frontman summer signing] is a different target man who would be more the player in a 4-4-2, he knocks the ball down, protects the ball well, makes play for his partners, and is a very intelligent player who has great physique, as well as being very strong in the air.”

Read more: ‘I think Podolski will play centrally for us’, reveals Wenger | Gooner Talk

Not much development in the transfers area, but I think Bendtner to Galatasaray is bound to happen, and Santi to Arsenal within a few days. Still being tepid on Santi rumors until its confirm by Arsenal. Niang and M'Vila are still in the cards atm.

Wenger talks about a possible reunion to the good old 4-4-2 formation and plying Podolski in the centre with Giroud

Not only Podolski. If we sign Cazorla then I see Walcott moving up front aswell. But that is big if we do change into 4-4-2.

Assuming RVP is heading off, I think a 442 formation would suite the players you have pretty well, especially Giroud as your frontman, pace down the wings with Walcott and the Ox, Podolski as a winger/ Striker hybrid (he is a striker but he drifts out left a fair amount and possesses a decent cross), Giroud good at holding up the ball and is a decent header of the ball, contrary to belief has a lot of technique too. He'll grab a fair amount of goals with service like that.

On the other hand, I still think you need more than that to compete with the Manchesters and Chelsea this season.

Reports on twitter suggesting Nuri Sahin has joined Arsenal on a years loan.

The report from Marca was suggesting that, now it is only saying that he is probably going to play in the EPL next season.

Sahin.jpg

I'm slowly being convinced we will never see Jack Wilshere on a football pitch again.

I'm slowly being convinced we will never see Jack Wilshere on a football pitch again.

Well, Wenger is playing it right. The only way Jack can come back is to take it extremely slow and cautious. Rush him even a little bit and it might be lights out for his career.

If he's out for another season, I'll be disappointed but I know it'll be the right move.

Arsenal seriously need a left back a right back and a centre back. And probably a replacement for Jack Wilshire because he hasn't played in over a year and he's not making much progress

Reckon after his performances in pre-season so far we can start to include Chuks Aneke into possible midfielders for the first team this season. Has looked quality.

Seriously what is wrong with Jack Wilshere? How can someone who was initially only going to be out for a few weeks be out for nearly a year?

Seriously what is wrong with Jack Wilshere? How can someone who was initially only going to be out for a few weeks be out for nearly a year?

Nearly? He's out until October, that will be over a year. But yeah really...

As worrying as it its, I think Wenger doesn't want to rush him to comeback to full fitness. I expect that he'll come back around October atmost.

2-2 against Kitchee. Couple of poor errors from us for their goals but not a great worry when you look at the players that were out there. Walcott looked really dangerous in his hour and deserved his goal and Eisfeld impressed yet again capping it off with his second goal of the tour. Gervinho was brilliant, constant danger down the left.

Not the ideal result but only pre-season and was far from our best team. Only thing I am taking from this tour is how good the youngsters we have are, Eisfeld, Aneke and Afobe all looked really good in their chances.

Very impressed with Gervinho, Aneke, and Eisfeld. Afobe got into space well, and Le Coq looked good. That makeshift defence though...

Back