The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
BBC Sport - Arsenal's Alex Song closes in on Barcelona move

**** Sake! Always selling our best players year after year! Na$ri and Fabregas last year RVP and Song this year! We will never win any trophies at this rate!

I agree about RVP song however is far from irreplaceable

And I don't see how people think Song was our second best player last season. Try watching the entire game instead rather than just the highlights of his good passes to RVP :P

Last edited:
I'm disappointed to see Song going about getting a move to Barca the way has, but if he wants to go there and sit on the bench with the odd game playing at the back then good for him. He was fantastic going forward last season but often he would leave the back four vunerable because he wouldn't track back. He hasn't been a defensive midfielder for the last few seasons, just our most defensive midfielder. If we bring in Sahin and a proper DM, I'm not going to be too bothered. Only worry is the amount of new faces and how they will settle in, but if they settle well we have a quality side.

Arsenal selling RvP and now Song.... probably their two best players, worrying signs for any Arsenal fans, although on the bright side I do hear the Sahin deal could have a buy clause in, top top player. Would love Sahin at United myself, but he is still yet to decide between Arsenal and Liverpool, although it would be Arsenal for me if it was just between them two, due to the Champions League. But having said that, if the loan deal does have a buy clause in it, Sahin needs to think where both clubs are heading, you have to say Arsenal selling their best players is no good sign.

I refuse to believe Madrid will insert a buy clause into Sahin's loan deal. If they are willing to sell him, he can do much better than Arsenal/Liverpool tbh

Arsenal, Barcelona's *****. Really sucks. Well, either M'Vila or no extra DM at all is what I hope. I'd like to see Coquelin given a chance.

Arsenal, Barcelona's *****. Really sucks. Well, either M'Vila or no extra DM at all is what I hope. I'd like to see Coquelin given a chance.

Coquelin is a wonderful defensive prospect although expecting him to take an important role in the team would be premature

Coquelin was perhaps our worst player on field against Cologne. Not ready to be in first team as a starter. Will need 1-2 years still as rotational player.

How would you know as you are not one of us :)

While RVP is better striker than either Podolski or Giroud they can be great for the team and now everyone needs to contribute on scoring the goals. Might bring out positive reaction and we'd start to get more goals from other players.

Song. Great versatile player. Assisted what 14 times last season? Great contribution. Going to miss him, but realistically as you think if we get Sahin and proper defensive mid in place we can be stronger as a team.

RVP was our best player, but on midfield Arteta is more important than Song.

What an immature comment, I never claimed I was, but any team who loses two of their best players and consistently seems to be doing so every season at the moment, it would be worrying for any fans of any team they support.

I refuse to believe Madrid will insert a buy clause into Sahin's loan deal. If they are willing to sell him, he can do much better than Arsenal/Liverpool tbh

Likely no buy in clause, but some talk that Arsenal will have the first option if he is sold. I think sale is unlikely if he has even half decent season and what they say about Alonso leaving after this season is true.

What an immature comment, I never claimed I was, but any team who loses two of their best players and consistently seems to be doing so every season at the moment, it would be worrying for any fans of any team they support.

Well Arsenal have declined season after season. Last season they were never in the hunt for the title at any point in the season. They could very well have been out of the Champs League if Spurs had beat Aston Villa late into the season.

Perhaps next season they might get that Top 4 spot although they will face a real fight from Tottenham/Liverpool/Chelsea

I don't think Sahin will be sold in the coming years, he's definitely part of Mourinho's plans as I've read the Alonso might leave next summer and that means Sahin will probably become a starter.
Also if he comes I don't expect any fireworks right away. He's barely been playing recently and would need to gain some form and playing time to be fully ready.

I don't want Song at the club anymore, he's not irreplaceable because his defensive work is bad and a proper DM would be much much better, also he's been saying at practices that he's the best in the team because Barca are interested in him and I don't want a guy like that on the team.

Not worried as I think as a team Arsenal can improve. Last season we lost our best player and one of our best. Still we finished higher than year before with those players with more points.

Now that Robin is gone Giroud and Podolski have better chance to succeed and make their mark than him still at the club. Remember Chamakh when RVP was injured. While not worldclass Chamakh was good for that first part of season.

With couple additions we have really strong, competive squad which if things go our way for change will be challenging for trophy or trophies better than we did last season.

I don't think Sahin will be sold in the coming years, he's definitely part of Mourinho's plans as I've read the Alonso might leave next summer and that means Sahin will probably become a starter.
Also if he comes I don't expect any fireworks right away. He's barely been playing recently and would need to gain some form and playing time to be fully ready.

?????

Mourinho has said that Sahin is free to leave and they're signing Modric probably to rotate with Alonso/Ozil

Yeah it get's annoying losing our best players but when we pick ourselves up and prove the doubters wrong time and time again, we've got nothing to be worried about when as long as Wenger's still here (H)

Last edited:
Yes he said he's free to leave on loan this season, why would he be on a 6 year contract if he has no future? Also Sahin is like Alonso, deep playmaker, Modric is much more offensive player than Alonso and Sahin.

Yes he said he's free to leave on loan this season, why would he be on a 6 year contract if he has no future? Also Sahin is like Alonso, deep playmaker, Modric is much more offensive player than Alonso and Sahin.

That's besides the point. Why didn't they give him on loan last season if they knew he wouldn't play much? I agree about what you said about Modric being a more offensive player but it doesn't seem like Ozil is going anywhere any time soon and I doubt either player will be content to sit on the bench

I think the reason for no loan last season was that they expected to play him more but didn't, not sure though. At least in my opinion he won't be sold because they also rejected to include a clause to buy him after the loan ends for an agreed price. That must mean he has a future.

I think the reason for no loan last season was that they expected to play him more but didn't, not sure though. At least in my opinion he won't be sold because they also rejected to include a clause to buy him after the loan ends for an agreed price. That must mean he has a future.

Is it confirmed that they rejected it though? If they did it could be that he has a future or to potentially spark a bidding war with other top teams if he has a successful season.

I'm not really sure about that.. but from what i've been reading it is never said there is any clause if we make the loan signing.

Back