The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Giroud missed a few against koln too. Lets hope he doesnt make a habit of it.

I thought Cazorla was very good today. Podolski and Giroud will still take time to adapt to the league understandably. Not the worst result, could have nicked the game had Giroud scored his sitter

Jenkinson wasn't bad also. Arshavin looked good except couple missed passes. Gervinho looked sharp and Cazorla was getting better the longer the game went.

Team was alright, but needs to gel. Happy that we kept clean sheet.

Last edited:
Second year in a row we lost our two best players right at the start of the season. Seriously something needs to change. I said it on twitter earlier this summer we need to tie Song down to a longer contract. Now I know it wasn't because of the time left on his contract but still last year he was one of our best players. Yes I understand he made mistakes but really looking back at it, we wouldn't have made top 4 without his stellar assists to RvP in those must win games over Everton and I believe Liverpool.

Second year in a row we lost our two best players right at the start of the season.
van Persie, yes. But Song? I'll have to disagree with you there.

As good as he was last season, I would say Koscielny, Vermaelen, Arteta, Wilshere and now Cazorla are better/more important than Song.

The biggest issue/concern for me is that we've now been giving other clubs the impression that we are always ready to do business regardless of a player's importance. I agree that a lot of times it's not in our control when the player forces a move i.e. RVP, Nasri etc. but still if we don't take a stance on playing hard ball, it's difficult to see how we'll hold on to players like Vermaelen maybe even Wilshere. All this selling has to stop sooner rather than later.

van Persie, yes. But Song? I'll have to disagree with you there.

As good as he was last season, I would say Koscielny, Vermaelen, Arteta, Wilshere and now Cazorla are better/more important than Song.

Song is massively underrated imo. Has been your best player for a few years along with RVP, Fabregas and Wilshere. You don't want to lose the core of your team, no matter who you are. Another bitter blow for Arsenal imo, but let's just wait and see who Wenger brings in

From last season? Wilshere didn't play, we didn't have Cazorla, Vermaelen and Koscielny weren't fit the entire year and Arteta was the closest really.

From that performance I'm not overly concerned, Sunderland defended very well and we were simply let down from some finishing.

I can see that improving in future along with our overall performance.

Hoping for somebody to be brought in to replace Song.

lol I'm not an Arsenal fan...but DAFUQ is goin on at the Emirates???? I think Wenger has tipped over the edge.

RVP fine, Podolski/Giroud should come good....but Song? He's a massive player!

Last edited:
lol I'm not an Arsenal fan...but DAFUQ is goin on at the Emirates???? I think Wenger has tipped over the edge.

RVP fine, Podolski/Giroud should come good....but Song? He's a massive player!

but there's santi ;) and i think sahin is coming in as Song replacement, together with m'villan

Sahin would be a good loan transfer, should it happen.

imo Song was for Arsenal what Alonso was for LOLpool

Sahin is a different kind of player. M'Vila would be a good replacement for Song.

Song is massively underrated imo. Has been your best player for a few years along with RVP, Fabregas and Wilshere. You don't want to lose the core of your team, no matter who you are. Another bitter blow for Arsenal imo, but let's just wait and see who Wenger brings in

Do you watch the matches or just Song's successful through balls? While Song was an important player last season in terms of assists he left us open A LOT defensively and only got away with it because we had no adequate replacements

Second year in a row we lost our two best players right at the start of the season. Seriously something needs to change. I said it on twitter earlier this summer we need to tie Song down to a longer contract. Now I know it wasn't because of the time left on his contract but still last year he was one of our best players. Yes I understand he made mistakes but really looking back at it, we wouldn't have made top 4 without his stellar assists to RvP in those must win games over Everton and I believe Liverpool.

His assists wouldn't have been needed as much if he just stayed back. Take the Norwich game for example, if he stayed back, Gibbs wouldn't have been caught on the counter, we wouldn't have conceded and his amazing through ball wouldn't have been needed.

Also is it just me who notices when Song gives away possession cheaply trying a through ball that's not on but everyone calls him our best player (hyperbole) when it comes good?

Last edited:
Do you watch the matches or just Song's successful through balls? While Song was an important player last season in terms of assists he left us open A LOT defensively and only got away with it because we had no adequate replacements

Of course I watch the matches you numpty, everyone can pick out one or two mistakes to make a player look bad but he's still a great player. Paul Scholes is prone to an error or two, but he's clearly a class act. Song is a massively important player, and a quality, well rounded, versatile footballer. He'll be missed, although I'm sure M'Villa could come in and shore up the midfield defensively. Song was forced to expand his game on occassion last season because of Arsenal's lack of midfield creativity.

Of course I watch the matches you numpty, everyone can pick out one or two mistakes to make a player look bad but he's still a great player. Paul Scholes is prone to an error or two, but he's clearly a class act. Song is a massively important player, and a quality, well rounded, versatile footballer. He'll be missed, although I'm sure M'Villa could come in and shore up the midfield defensively. Song was forced to expand his game on occassion last season because of Arsenal's lack of midfield creativity.

But it wasn't one or two mistakes. Giving the ball away, staying too far forward, anyhow we don't need him much now since we've got the midfield of Arteta, Cazorla and potential DM/Sahin

Back