The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Elsfeld was never rated at Gotze's level. Sammer said a few years back that Gotze was the best young German to come through for over a decade, Elsfeld was never in that bracket, and FM also recognised that. He does look a very bright prospect though.

I think it's been a bit too long since Wenger uncovered a star really, with Fabregas the last serious talent to come through. I guess it's more difficult these days because excellent youngsters are recognised very quickly (eg Ox, Gotze etc) so it's hard to find players that slip under the radar.

Last edited:
Elsfeld was never rated at Gotze's level. Sammer said a few years back that Gotze was the best young German to come through for over a decade, Elsfeld was never in that bracket, and FM also recognised that. He does look a very bright prospect though.

I think it's been a bit too long since Wenger uncovered a star really, with Fabregas the last serious talent to come through. I guess it's more difficult these days because excellent youngsters are recognised very quickly (eg Ox, Gotze etc) so it's hard to find players that slip uner the radar.

Agreed with the first paragraph.

I think the second paragraph is unfair though. Players of Fabregas' quality do not come around often.

Agreed with the first paragraph.

I think the second paragraph is unfair though. Players of Fabregas' quality do not come around often.

True but Wenger has built a reputation on uncovering talent as good as that, and I think that's why they have struggled to compete at the very top over the last few years. Anelka, Vieira, Henry, Fabregas...all top top quality that he discovered early in their careers when they were lesser known. Maybe i'm being harsh on AW, he has a phenominal eye for talent but I guess they struggle to compete for youth players now too

True but Wenger has built a reputation on uncovering talent as good as that, and I think that's why they have struggled to compete at the very top over the last few years. Anelka, Vieira, Henry, Fabregas...all top top quality that he discovered early in their careers when they were lesser known. Maybe i'm being harsh on AW, he has a phenominal eye for talent but I guess they struggle to compete for youth players now too

I dunno about that. Koscielny, Oxlade, Ramsey and Vermaelen all fit into the Henry style of transfers, being young but having already established they were good players before taking their game to the next level with Arsenal. I just think now Arsenal move to secure the signings of youngsters more quickly, and at a younger age, because as you said there's so much more information about.

I dunno about that. Koscielny, Oxlade, Ramsey and Vermaelen all fit into the Henry style of transfers, being young but having already established they were good players before taking their game to the next level with Arsenal. I just think now Arsenal move to secure the signings of youngsters more quickly, and at a younger age, because as you said there's so much more information about.

I would personally say that Ramsey and Koscielny, to an extent, haven't kicked on that much, but yeah, I'm being a little unfair on Wenger

I would personally say that Ramsey and Koscielny, to an extent, haven't kicked on that much, but yeah, I'm being a little unfair on Wenger

Ramsey, sure, though that could be put down to a big injury, but Koscielny? He's one of the best centre-backs in the Prem, and was arguably the second best one after Kompany last year.

Ramsey, sure, though that could be put down to a big injury, but Koscielny? He's one of the best centre-backs in the Prem, and was arguably the second best one after Kompany last year.

Hasn't Mertesacker been playing ahead of him this season though, or is that down to injury too? He has improved, of course, but I don't think you can begin to put him in the same bracket as the aforementioned players. I'm a big fan of Koscielny actually, he just needs more consistency in his game. A defensive mid might help though!

Hasn't Mertesacker been playing ahead of him this season though, or is that down to injury too? He has improved, of course, but I don't think you can begin to put him in the same bracket as the aforementioned players. I'm a big fan of Koscielny actually, he just needs more consistency in his game. A defensive mid might help though!

He was injured and then Mertesacker has played really well and is really our best CB now. Vermaelen really is our 3rd best CB, but is on team because he is the captain.

He was injured and then Mertesacker has played really well and is really our best CB now. Vermaelen really is our 3rd best CB, but is on team because he is the captain.
Arteta really should of been made captain. We are forced to play a weaker team because of it. And TV and Kos don't work well together so anytime we rest Mertesacker, it doesn't tend to work out too well.

Arteta really should of been made captain. We are forced to play a weaker team because of it. And TV and Kos don't work well together so anytime we rest Mertesacker, it doesn't tend to work out too well.

Yeap he'd be perfect captain. Perfect all around even his hair.

Kos and TV are too aggressive to work well together. Big Mert brings the balance on the backline.

AW still has eye for talents, its just your board sells good players faster than he can find new ones. :P

Even Henry and Vieira, 1 in a milion class acts on their positions, needed a group of great players around them to grow.

Wenger has confirmed Gibbs and Szczesny won't be ready for United game. Really hope we play either Vermaelen or Sagna as LB rather than Santos.

Im a neutral so dont call me biased or anything. But if United can keep Carzorla quiet then I think this could be 3 or 4-0. I've been comparing United and Arsenal's likely teams man for man and they beat you in almost every position

Back