The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
You dont need an Arab takeover. You already have Usmanov. Although its moot if the board aren't actually interested in actually using said cash.

Everyone knows Arsenal have had problems defensively, but why on earth did they play the way they did today?

Pushing high may close down the space, but it also leaves massive gaps in behind, against possibly the two quickest players in the league

Whoever made up the tactics, weather it be Wenger or Bould really need to question themselves... Also the lack of a natural DM is massively showing for Arsenal, no protection for the back 4 at all

Also add fact Cazorla is being wasted playing as basically a winger

I don't know why all the neutrals are contemplating Arsenal after this result. Tottenham played better and deserved the result.

The problem with the whole "Europa League should force us to spend the cash" you realize that our current board will look at that and say "well we won't have the Champions League revenue to back us up." I have mixed opinions on the whole Arab takeover that could be forthcoming. I do think we need a change in ownership / board and some of the things they are supposed to have said they want to do at Arsenal is definitely a step up but on the other end I really don't want us to become like Man City, PSG or Chelsea and buy the league.

There's no takeover. Usamanov won't pay what Kroenke wants, Kroenke won't even bother protecting Wenger, provided Wenger keeps the yearly profits moving along nicely. Outside the top four could be one of the best things we need. The best players are signed to decent length contracts, and it might give them some hunger/pride to get back to the top of their game.

Plus regarding Cazorla as a winger, agree. I'd have said Rosicky would have done a better job than Ramsey despite his age as he always gives 100%, tidy technique, composed and reads the game well. That could have been enough to make it 2-2.

People are acting like the club needs to win a trophy this season, now it's about finishing in the top four. Lets be serious, this season is a success for me if the team doesn't entirely embarrass itself, grabs a Europa place, gets some recruits in the summer and actually hires a defensive coach.

There's no takeover. Usamanov won't pay what Kroenke wants, Kroenke won't even bother protecting Wenger, provided Wenger keeps the yearly profits moving along nicely. Outside the top four could be one of the best things we need. The best players are signed to decent length contracts, and it might give them some hunger/pride to get back to the top of their game.

Plus regarding Cazorla as a winger, agree. I'd have said Rosicky would have done a better job than Ramsey despite his age as he always gives 100%, tidy technique, composed and reads the game well. That could have been enough to make it 2-2.

People are acting like the club needs to win a trophy this season, now it's about finishing in the top four. Lets be serious, this season is a success for me if the team doesn't entirely embarrass itself, grabs a Europa place, gets some recruits in the summer and actually hires a defensive coach.

Sorry but that should never be considered a "success". Yes we lost our best player in van Persie and we lost Alex Song but we still should be competing in atleast one competition. We should still be challenging for trophies. We should still be a team that other teams fear. Arsenal has lost all of those. Plus you see how those recruits Liverpool have been getting for not qualifying for the Champions League have been.

Selling him would indeed be stupid, he's professional, works hard, and is good at distribution. Exactly as you say, a proper DM, accentuate the squad instead of selling players. Giggs and Scholes have shown that players can contribute for many years, not just from the point of view of performance but also off the pitch in an example to the young players - something Arsenal desperately need.

If we got a "proper dm" where is Arteta going to play? Coming off the bench? He's still just young enough to play at very good clubs throughout europe. Do you think he's as loyal as Giggs/Scholes??

But it doesn't matter as we won't be signing a proper DM.

----

I'm still puzzled as to why Jenkinson went off, I thought he was playing well. But instead you take him off and move Ramsey with one yellow card to a defensive position where he might pick up a 2nd?

Last edited:
Sorry but that should never be considered a "success". Yes we lost our best player in van Persie and we lost Alex Song but we still should be competing in atleast one competition. We should still be challenging for trophies. We should still be a team that other teams fear. Arsenal has lost all of those. Plus you see how those recruits Liverpool have been getting for not qualifying for the Champions League have been.

Again, I specifically said 'success for me'. I'm realistic about what the club is capable of doing, and while the form has been inconsistent we should be challenging for something.

Now if we don't have a DM in the squad Wenger feels he can play then we have problems. If they defence can't work out if it wants to sit deep (lose control of midfield) or play high (vulnerable to pace) then we need to make our mind up and play better. Now while the side should be playing better, for me it wouldn't be a disaster to shake up the current status quo.

If we got a "proper dm" where is Arteta going to play? Coming off the bench? He's still just young enough to play at very good clubs throughout europe. Do you think he's as loyal as Giggs/Scholes??

But it doesn't matter as we won't be signing a proper DM.

----

I'm still puzzled as to why Jenkinson went off, I thought he was playing well. But instead you take him off and move Ramsey with one yellow card to a defensive position where he might pick up a 2nd?

Well, the current issue is we have no rotation. Arteta plays every game he's fit. Diaby plays every game he is fit (heh). There is zero squad depth. This also means zero competition, so nobody seems to be very 'sharp' as they arn't going to be rotated out. United can afford to have Kagawa and Nani on the bench for half a season, Chelsea have played Oscar and Moses intermittently. I can't think of anyone who currently sits on our bench across the midfield who is a like for like swap in terms of ability.

I do believe Arteta is loyal to the club. He always wanted to play in top competitions and has experience at Everton fighting for that, so he's the sort of player you want in the dressing room reminding players you need to work for it. He's gone from playing every season at Everton as one of their best players to one of the unsung heroes in the Arsenal midfield and has still worked very hard, especially noticeable when he's out of position. I'd say he can do an additional contract at the very least, and considering he's 30 now (31 in 3 weeks) I doubt we'd get much money anyway.

Last edited:
Since some of you have point out that Arteta is not playing at the right position, so is Wilshere being 'wasted' at CAM (for now). Jack is much better at deep midfield, playing along side Arteta.

Line-up should be like this
Arteta-Wilshere
Walcott(or the Ox)-Cazorla-Podolski
Giroud (or WalcoTt)

I don't agree LOL. Wilshere hasn't shown an ability to make long through balls this season consistently. I think he's much better in an attacking role due to his dribbling, burst, movement, and one-twos.

The only quality he has in defense is his mental attributes. I wouldn't say he's DM quality at marking/tackling/heading

I don't agree LOL. Wilshere hasn't shown an ability to make long through balls this season consistently. I think he's much better in an attacking role due to his dribbling, burst, movement, and one-twos.

The only quality he has in defense is his mental attributes. I wouldn't say he's DM quality at marking/tackling/heading

I agree with this, however Ramsey has been poor this season and that has been a factor why the base of the midfield hasn't supported the defence. Diaby was much more effective when he played, yet once again has seemingly spent 80%+ of his season on the bench for the .. 3rd season in a row.

I'd say Wilshere's workrate makes him look like he's doing more than he is in CM. As you said, much more effective as attacking midfield.

Benik Afobe picked up a cruciate ligament injury on loan at Millwall and will be out for 9 months. Tough blow for him as he is a very promising young player.

Yaya Sango and Adam Maher linked to Arsenal. Maher, however, has been on Arsene radar for a long time.

Loads of rumors swirling around at the moment, Fabregas has told Valdes he should move to Arsenal, Alex Song being linked with a return to us. Wanyama is being linked with us again also Nasri is linked with a move back to the Emirates in the summer. Also heard that the Arab takeover is a very real possibility and Usmanov could join their consortium if they were to table a bid.

Well, Wenger looking to rest players, Wilshere out.. yeah. Could be quite the blow out. It puts a lot of pressure on the team to perform in the EPL and get the spot they need.

Back