The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Dunno about you guys, but I am proud of that performance. People expected us to get bummed, and I'm glad we showed some class tonight. Shame about the result, but I'm can't be disappointed with what just happened.

Dunno about you guys, but I am proud of that performance. People expected us to get bummed, and I'm glad we showed some class tonight. Shame about the result, but I'm can't be disappointed with what just happened.

I agree, Im disappointed with the result and with Arteta giving away those free kicks in last couple of minutes but we can be proud of that. If only we were more consistent overall

Glad with the performance tonight. Made Bayern nervous and restricted them from getting a goal. Fabianski get my MOTM award, **** solid at GK.

and PS, **** the away goal rule :P just another ****** excuse to 'win' :P

The away goal rule needs revamped a bit imo. I am not just saying this because we lost because of it but really, we kept a clean sheet AT BAYERN. Shouldn't that count for something? Haha anyways proud of the way we played this evening. It wasn't convincing but we did what we needed to do to get the win unfortunately it was too little too late.

The away goal rule needs revamped a bit imo. I am not just saying this because we lost because of it but really, we kept a clean sheet AT BAYERN. Shouldn't that count for something? Haha anyways proud of the way we played this evening. It wasn't convincing but we did what we needed to do to get the win unfortunately it was too little too late.

I agree. The away goal rule should be abolished. Instead the game should go straight to extra time then pens.

I agree. The away goal rule should be abolished. Instead the game should go straight to extra time then pens.

Its easy to say that now though isn't it? The away goal rule is so teams don't just go away from home and "park the bus" as if they do actually score they get rewarded for it. Yes you kept a clean sheet at Bayern which is impressive but conceding 3 at home against them is far from impressive.

Its easy to say that now though isn't it? The away goal rule is so teams don't just go away from home and "park the bus" as if they do actually score they get rewarded for it. Yes you kept a clean sheet at Bayern which is impressive but conceding 3 at home against them is far from impressive.

This.
Did well to keep a clean sheet but Bayern didn't turn up at all and you still let 3 in at home.

I'm not saying the away goals rule should be abolished at all. I just think it could do with some revamping. I am not by any means saying we were impressive at home because we weren't (although the third goal was a bit iffy really).

Meh, removing the away goal rule would lead to extremely cagey games.

Pretty sure you wouldn't be saying that if it was the other way round.

As a neutral, I feel the away goals rule is stupid. Scoring 2 goals away from home and keeping a clean sheet is as good, if not better, than scoring 3 away from home.

If the tie is a draw after 2 legs, just go to extra time and pens, or just pens. Both better than away rule.

The away goal rule is past its sell by date. It was useful in a time when so few teams did get away wins. Not any more.

As a neutral, I feel the away goals rule is stupid. Scoring 2 goals away from home and keeping a clean sheet is as good, if not better, than scoring 3 away from home.

If the tie is a draw after 2 legs, just go to extra time and pens, or just pens. Both better than away rule.

I just believe it is a fairer way of deciding than penalties.. It's not exactly an awesome way to decide a game, Liverpool were knocked out by Zenit on away goals and we were knocked out by Atletico in the semi-final in 2010 on away goals.. A team that in 3 out of 4 of their knock-out games they won on away goals!

Away goals are all well and good when the team you want to win benefit from it but as soon as it's the other way around people are up in arms about how it's an out-dated, unnecessary rule that is for the benefit of the elite clubs.. blah, blah, blah.. It's the rules and IMO it makes for a much more entertaining game than watching an extra 30 minutes of football from exhausted players.

Away goals have been outdated ever since the number of away wins rose dramatically. Whether it's "entertaining" isn't really the point. Got nothing to do with elite clubs at all.

Its not a fairer way than penalties. Penalties don't skew a tie the way away goals do. Away goals are effectively a loaded dice.

Last edited:
Away goals are all well and good when the team you want to win benefit from it but as soon as it's the other way around people are up in arms about how it's an out-dated, unnecessary rule that is for the benefit of the elite clubs.. blah, blah, blah.. It's the rules

You do talk some utter **** sometimes haha.

Back