The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
This was Bayern's first home defeat by more than 2 goals since early 2011, the first time they failed to score at the Allianz Arena since late 2010, their first defeat in 2013 AND their first defeat to an English club (excluding penalties) at the Allianz Arena.

Even though we went out we can be proud.

Away goals have been outdated ever since the number of away wins rose dramatically.

That's not a proof the rule is outdated, that's just cause and effect.

Entertainment factor matters. If you need to determine the winner using some arbitrary rule, might just pick one that produces dramatic, entertaining games. Its no different then switching to 3 points per win, or forcing goalkeepers to use their feet after pass from their own team.

This was Bayern's first home defeat by more than 2 goals since early 2011, the first time they failed to score at the Allianz Arena since late 2010, their first defeat in 2013 AND their first defeat to an English club (excluding penalties) at the Allianz Arena.

Even though we went out we can be proud.

No, Bayern were unmotivated and practically parked the bus.

from minute 3 to minute 87, we were dead in the water.

Again, we showed a lot of effort, but the lack of cohesion among our players cost us the aggregate win.

The intention behind away goals was to give away teams a slightly advantage when European games were extremely rare and people had little experience of traveling to "foreign" teams. With the homogenization of styles across Europe (think of the amount of teams playing 4-2-3-1 at the moment, for example) it's redundant. Both teams scored three goals and won away from home.

Agree with Tyton about forcing an open encounter, though obviously in this case it hurt to go out.

Interestingly Koscielny seemed to play a lot better with Mertersacker, both were incredibly solid whilst playing a deeper defensive line, and Vermaelen was dropped to the bench despite being fit to play. Considering he's the club captain, I can see drama occurring if he doesn't significantly step it up. Ramsey also bustled the midfield well and looked to be gaining confidence.

A problem is that Wilshere is injured alongside Diaby, so there is no backup in the tank beyond Coquelin and Rosicky, who at 32 isn't in his prime any more. On the upside, Gibbs back in the team was immense and Cazorla seems to add a lot more than Podolski (though I agree he's influential in the middle) on the left with Walcott playing alongside Giroud, as he drifts inside and opens up space for Gibbs to overlap, which he loves doing.

No, Bayern were unmotivated and practically parked the bus.

from minute 3 to minute 87, we were dead in the water.

Again, we showed a lot of effort, but the lack of cohesion among our players cost us the aggregate win.

We weren't dead in the water, we forced most of their shots to come from outside the box and rarely tested Fabianski. Even when we did make defensive mistakes (Muller's backheel to Robben) we still tracked back well (Jenkinson) and forced him to shoot early. Yes we didn't play brilliantly but we did deserve to win. As for Bayern being unmotivated I can't see that being the case. While they didn't expect us to come back like we did they certainly didn't try and park the bus.

We weren't dead in the water, we forced most of their shots to come from outside the box and rarely tested Fabianski. Even when we did make defensive mistakes (Muller's backheel to Robben) we still tracked back well (Jenkinson) and forced him to shoot early. Yes we didn't play brilliantly but we did deserve to win. As for Bayern being unmotivated I can't see that being the case. While they didn't expect us to come back like we did they certainly didn't try and park the bus.

We did good defensively, but offensively, we were inept.

Poor one-twos, poor runs, poor positioning for passes, poor vision. Which is baffling to me as our system hasn't changed. At times we looked like we were trying to play slow possession, and at times we looked like we were trying a long ball game. I thought our MO was barca style and we usually play that well, but not yesterday. Did Arsene try to change things up which our players were comfortable with doing? Well apparently it worked, but I'd attribute the victory more to our defensive quality than strategic genius.

Btw, Jenkinson was a beast (again), totally shut down Robben on that one break away which is exceptionally difficult to do. I truly think it's time to cash in on Sagna and pick up another Monreal type (experienced, cheap) to cover.

The defence looks solid today v Swansea. The Kosciely - Mertesacker partnering looks good so far. I think Wenger made the right call dropping Szczesny and Vermaelen for a couple games.

Outplayed Swansea so it seems it was definitely the right call. Huge away win.

Massive **** up from Spurs today. With the game in hand we can drop one point behind Spurs with Chelsea just ahead of them (+1 point). The only potential banana skin would be the Utd game, and hopefully by that point they will have the double to think about and the league won already. Need some solid form and third or fourth are very doable.

I'll have to see how City bounce back from their loss at Everton, as if they consider the title already lost perhaps everyone else can take aim at them and open up second. They're only four points ahead of third place after all.

I think we can finish ahead of Spurs, Chelsea might be tough as they seem to have something going for them but everytime I seem to think that they do something equally dumb and open things back up.

The defence looks solid today v Swansea. The Kosciely - Mertesacker partnering looks good so far. I think Wenger made the right call dropping Szczesny and Vermaelen for a couple games.

Szczesny is starting to look like another Bendtner, if he keeps acting like he's second coming, he better play like it. Flapski is a lot better then him in terms of raw skills, just lacks that confidence.

Good call by wenger for dropping both of them, wojo and verms. hope fabianski starts the next game against reading too. Im also hoping to see more of the ox and also gervinho now, with Walcott injured.

Jesus christ. Has anyone in the history of football been injured that often? Wouldn't be suprised if we don't renew his contract at this point. Brilliant when he's playing, but when is he playing?!

Unfortunate, because I wanted us to sell Diaby as soon as possible so he could be someone else's problem. Now there will be no immediate takers, sigh.

Do really feel for Diaby must say. The amount of times i have heard Arsene say "he is like a new signing", think its curtain for the lad unfortunately now.

excellent performance against reading. You can clearly see how much we've worked on our passing triangles the last few weeks. We even got to the point where we were so focused on passing, that it became redundant (a side effect of over training).

Wenger's philosophy relies on this type of quality passing...I'm glad we've gotten back to it.

Back