The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Despite what many Gunners try to comfort themselves with, RVP didnt want money (the fact that he turned down 300k a week at City is a testament to that). He wanted to be a serial winner.

Not sure many predicted he would set the scene alight, this is Podolski's 2nd best season in his career.

From what I've heard City's offer was pretty similar to what Utd offered (230k-250k). He wanted to win things now and not wait anymore, but cash was also a really big factor in the transfer. Arsene also said in interview RVP didn't decline a better offer from City.

We accepted 15m offer from Juve, but they cant afford that kind of wages. There he would have been quaranteed trophies also and had he gone there they actually might have had crack at CL also as only thing they were and are missing is WC striker. Lower standard of league, but current Juve team is pretty much on par with Utd on quality at least before signing RVP.

From what I've heard City's offer was pretty similar to what Utd offered (230k-250k). He wanted to win things now and not wait anymore, but cash was also a really big factor in the transfer. Arsene also said in interview RVP didn't decline a better offer from City.

No way is Van Persie on 250k p/w. United, unlike Arsenal, have a pretty sensible wage structure, and Van Persie was put in the top band along with Rooney, putting him on roughly 180k. No reports I've seen have put him above 200k. FM itself puts him at 180k, and usually they're pretty reliable about stuff like this.

City, on the other hand, were widely reported as having offers non-literal shitloads for Van Persie. Yaya Toure and Carlos Tevez are both on 180k, Samir Nasri's on 140k, even Edin Dzeko's on 120k and he hardly ever starts. With that in mind and with Mancini quite publicly declaring interest in Van Persie, I wouldn't be surprised if their figure did get somewhere near Mike.'s high estimate of 300k, given all the factors involved (such as City's public interest giving RVP leverage, RVP having another option in United, a starting spot not being utterly guaranteed etc).

As such, I really don't think money was anywhere near as big a factor as many Arsenal fans (in particular) like to claim.

We accepted 15m offer from Juve, but they cant afford that kind of wages. There he would have been quaranteed trophies also and had he gone there they actually might have had crack at CL also as only thing they were and are missing is WC striker. Lower standard of league, but current Juve team is pretty much on par with Utd on quality at least before signing RVP.

Let's not kid ourselves, Juve are great but they have nowhere near the pull of United. Moreover, RVP's family is settled in England and he has a young child. Uprooting them just because... well, just because, would be totally unfair. You're clutching at straws a bit here, I feel.

I think Arsenal had the right idea about how to run a financially stable club, its just that this idea seems to be very 2005. If they'd invest just a little bit more into the club, the TV money, sponsorship deals and all the things that come with popularity, would likely balance the books anyway.

Right now its going to be pretty hard competing for trophies from 4th place, when 3rd and 2nd are teams with rich sugar daddy, and 1st one is 2.4 bilion behemoth.

Until this summer our commercial deals were really outdated because we needed them to be paid more in advance so we could finance the stadium move. This summer our revenue will rise and may just go over that 300m mark.

Meanwhile our expenses will drop as lot of players are coming to end of their deals.

If FFP is forced having sugar daddy becomes less helpful for Chelsea and City, but that is a big IF.

No way is Van Persie on 250k p/w. United, unlike Arsenal, have a pretty sensible wage structure, and Van Persie was put in the top band along with Rooney, putting him on roughly 180k. No reports I've seen have put him above 200k. FM itself puts him at 180k, and usually they're pretty reliable about stuff like this.

Lots of reports and stuff I read put Rooney on 250k or somewhere around that. Was wondering is that 200k + wage before tax and those you say after taxes? Had a quick look and it looks income tax in UK is somewhere around 50% ( for high earners ) , but I doubt players will be paying that much as there are ways to pay less.

City, on the other hand, were widely reported as having offers non-literal shitloads for Van Persie. Yaya Toure and Carlos Tevez are both on 180k, Samir Nasri's on 140k, even Edin Dzeko's on 120k and he hardly ever starts. With that in mind and with Mancini quite publicly declaring interest in Van Persie, I wouldn't be surprised if their figure did get somewhere near Mike.'s high estimate of 300k, given all the factors involved (such as City's public interest giving RVP leverage, RVP having another option in United, a starting spot not being utterly guaranteed etc).

As such, I really don't think money was anywhere near as big a factor as many Arsenal fans (in particular) like to claim.

Looking at City's last summer spending they tried to be more prudent in the market and that's why I believe in the fact that what City offered was pretty similar to what Utd did. They are at least trying to comply with the FFP or show that they are cutting back their spending.

Getting to compete for trophies quickly was his main pull I believe, but it didn't hurt that his wages were at least doubled when he joined Utd.

Let's not kid ourselves, Juve are great but they have nowhere near the pull of United. Moreover, RVP's family is settled in England and he has a young child. Uprooting them just because... well, just because, would be totally unfair. You're clutching at straws a bit here, I feel.

I know but that's only one option he had. Instead he went to one of our biggest rivals. In terms of pull I agree Utd are on different level to Juventus and also level of the league is better, BUT if you purely look at trophies it's pretty even. SAF also might have been big pull compared to Conte.

Lots of reports and stuff I read put Rooney on 250k or somewhere around that. Was wondering is that 200k + wage before tax and those you say after taxes? Had a quick look and it looks income tax in UK is somewhere around 50% ( for high earners ) , but I doubt players will be paying that much as there are ways to pay less.

Perhaps, but I suppose it doesn't matter too much. If 250k is in real terms equivalent to, say, 180k, it still means that Van Persie is comparatively being paid a relatively reasonable amount I guess.

Looking at City's last summer spending they tried to be more prudent in the market and that's why I believe in the fact that what City offered was pretty similar to what Utd did. They are at least trying to comply with the FFP or show that they are cutting back their spending.

Getting to compete for trophies quickly was his main pull I believe, but it didn't hurt that his wages were at least doubled when he joined Utd.

City's summer spending was 'prudent' because they missed out on all of their targets. Van Persie, Sergio Busquets/Javi Martinez (Javi Garcia and James Rodwell were brought in instead), Jesus Navas (Scott Sinclair was - hilariously - brought in instead) and quite a few others too.

I'm sure his wages being raised didn't hurt at all, but as we've established the main reason for him leaving was most definitely for success rather than just money.

I know but that's only one option he had. Instead he went to one of our biggest rivals. In terms of pull I agree Utd are on different level to Juventus and also level of the league is better, BUT if you purely look at trophies it's pretty even. SAF also might have been big pull compared to Conte.

Sure that's only one option, but it's also the only sensible option. Van Persie could stay in a league he was used to and was thriving in, move to a more successful club within that league, earn quite a bit more, play under one of the greatest managers of all time, not have to disrupt his family life at all and not have to adapt to a new league relatively late in his footballing career... or he could go to Juve. Van Persie made the correct choice, the only viable choice (given that he wanted to advance his career), and I'm sure he wouldn't mean to have hurt any Arsenal fans by moving to (apparently) one of the club's biggest rivals, but it just happened that way.

Frankly, the sooner Arsenal fans get over Van Persie, the better. I used to get quite annoyed at the likes of Gareth Barry and James Milner, but past the initial point I realised it made perfect sense, to the point where Ashley Young left Villa with my blessing.

Perhaps, but I suppose it doesn't matter too much. If 250k is in real terms equivalent to, say, 180k, it still means that Van Persie is comparatively being paid a relatively reasonable amount I guess.

Yeah never said he's overpaid or anything. We should be able to offer our best players that much, but haven't been able because of the equality thing and wage cap they are trying to hold. Maybe now that deadwood is clearing we could be able to offer bit better wages for players.

Sure that's only one option, but it's also the only sensible option. Van Persie could stay in a league he was used to and was thriving in, move to a more successful club within that league, earn quite a bit more, play under one of the greatest managers of all time, not have to disrupt his family life at all and not have to adapt to a new league relatively late in his footballing career... or he could go to Juve. Van Persie made the correct choice, the only viable choice (given that he wanted to advance his career), and I'm sure he wouldn't mean to have hurt any Arsenal fans by moving to (apparently) one of the club's biggest rivals, but it just happened that way.

Frankly, the sooner Arsenal fans get over Van Persie, the better. I used to get quite annoyed at the likes of Gareth Barry and James Milner, but past the initial point I realised it made perfect sense, to the point where Ashley Young left Villa with my blessing.

I for one am mostly over RVP leaving. It hurt much more seeing Cesc go eventhough we all knew he'd go someday. Mostly it bothers me that with our finances we could've kept him and also it was reported that after signing Cazorla he was ready to stay for season and look at how things went and perhaps sign extension, but board had decided to sell him as United's offer had already came and RVP had released that statement earlier ( or his agent, but with his permission ) which had been last straw for the board.

But he is Utd player and no reason to talk about him here.

Seems like we are moving fast according to Tancredi Palmeri we have offered £25m ( 30m €) for Jovetic which Fiorentina have confirmed. It's now us or Juve for him as Juve have had talks also with Fiorentina.

We are paying bit too much. 16-20m would be fair price, but better pay slightly over than be left without as was with Mata.

You actually believe that? This is quite obvious that with the season now over the media was going to go crazy. Every source I heard the past couple of weeks were saying it was all dependant on us getting Champions League. Now that we have they are obviously going to try and back up their stories by saying we are close to finishing the deal. I seriously don't expect us to sign anyone until early June at the earliest.

Also heard Fiorentina was willing to sell him to us for around 15m so he wouldn't join Juve, now people are saying they are waiting for Juve's offer.

You actually believe that? This is quite obvious that with the season now over the media was going to go crazy. Every source I heard the past couple of weeks were saying it was all dependant on us getting Champions League. Now that we have they are obviously going to try and back up their stories by saying we are close to finishing the deal. I seriously don't expect us to sign anyone until early June at the earliest.

Also heard Fiorentina was willing to sell him to us for around 15m so he wouldn't join Juve, now people are saying they are waiting for Juve's offer.

I'd expect offer to be in region of 15-20m straight and rest on incentives. What I've heard that we have agreed on personal terms with Jovetic and we were only waiting to see that 1) We qualified 2) Fiorentina didn't qualify for CL.

Of course they are waiting for Juve's offer. They'd be stupid not to if Juve are willing to offer more. IMO we still have upper hand especially if there's timeline in which Fiorentina need to either accept or decline our offer.

I still don't expect the deal to be done two days after the season ended or a week after it ended honestly.

I still don't expect the deal to be done two days after the season ended or a week after it ended honestly.

Podolski last season was done pretty quickly... Can't even remember was it before season ended?

If Juventus decide to pass on Jovetic as they are currently linked with both Tevez and Higuain transfer could happen really fast.

Podolski last season was done pretty quickly... Can't even remember was it before season ended?

If Juventus decide to pass on Jovetic as they are currently linked with both Tevez and Higuain transfer could happen really fast.

Exactly, besides who said the deal would be done quickly. all that means is that Fiorentina have confirmed a bid. They havent accepted yet, he hasn't signed a contract, he probably hasn't even spoken to Wenger.

Real life transfers are not like Football Manager.

We had the Podolski deal done early because Cologne was already relegated. Until Arsenal.com confirms it, I don't believe anything.

According to AS we and Inter Milan have tried to sign ter Stegen, but he has refused both clubs. Wants to go to Barcelona.

I'd go for Timo Horn frmo Koln if we can't get ter Stegen, not too disimilar.

I wouldn't mind Adler tbh, Ter Stegen seems set on Barca and they will probably sign him this summer. The only thing I hope is that we do indeed do our business early and get everything done quick.

Back