The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Auxerre have confirmed Yaya Sanogo has chose to join us, so looks like our first signing of the window..

Looks like Fiorentina want to hold us to ransom over Jovetic and push for reportedly £30m, so Higuain is seemingly the dark horse behind that.

I'm unsure how Giroud and Poldi fit into the side with those guys mind you. I want to see the Ox getting more game time, but considering Giroud is a decent leading man (purely in terms of strength and bothering defenders), Jovetic seems a bit of a weakling perhaps?

And it's a very strange feeling, actually anticipating signing someone useful for the club rather than despairing at the never ending conveyor-belt of "this guy will be great in a few years" signings. This must be what being a Chelsea/City fan feels like every summer.

Auxerre have confirmed Yaya Sanogo has chose to join us, so looks like our first signing of the window..

Hopefully can fulfill his potential with us. I think he will either go on loan next season or be mainly playing for our reserves and maybe couple COC games.

Looks like Fiorentina want to hold us to ransom over Jovetic and push for reportedly £30m, so Higuain is seemingly the dark horse behind that.

I'm unsure how Giroud and Poldi fit into the side with those guys mind you. I want to see the Ox getting more game time, but considering Giroud is a decent leading man (purely in terms of strength and bothering defenders), Jovetic seems a bit of a weakling perhaps?

And it's a very strange feeling, actually anticipating signing someone useful for the club rather than despairing at the never ending conveyor-belt of "this guy will be great in a few years" signings. This must be what being a Chelsea/City fan feels like every summer.

Both Poldi and Giroud can be fitted playing with Jovetic easily. Jovetic is best as supporting striker so I think at start we will see him either behind Giroud or on left wing. Jovetic is also used to getting tackled hard in Serie A. Also at 6'2 he isn't exactly tiny player so I think he will fit in fine.

Ox is versatile and if Gervinho is sold I can see him playing much more next season.

Signing Jovetic as a supporting striker doesn't make sense imo.

He would essentially be playing in the AMC slot that rosicky/cazorla/wilshere plays.

If we sell Pods, that would open the left for Jojo or santi. Considering Santi plays better in the middle, I'd imagine Jo would play left where he can utilize his size and scoring ability (but that was basically podolski's upside too)

~25 million for a player that we are unsure where he will fit in?

Signing Jovetic as a supporting striker doesn't make sense imo.

He would essentially be playing in the AMC slot that rosicky/cazorla/wilshere plays.

If we sell Pods, that would open the left for Jojo or santi. Considering Santi plays better in the middle, I'd imagine Jo would play left where he can utilize his size and scoring ability (but that was basically podolski's upside too)

~25 million for a player that we are unsure where he will fit in?

We would most likely be unsure where he will fit him in, but I have no doubt Wenger knows exactly where he will play Jovetic and I expect he will be grooming him to be RVP 2.0.

Santi doesn't play better in the middle if you look at CC's, assists and goals per game playing him on the left edges it compared to centre. Though if you think of it he was more accustomed to playing as part of our team when used on left compared the start of season.. But the point is he is at least as good on left as he is in middle.

Wilshere doesn't have the final ball to be truly effective AM yet and Rozza will be contributing from that spot also, but we need some more. We've lacked creativity and ability to unlock defences this season.

How I see it going is that with Giroud Jovetic would be played in supporting role and Santi would be in left. Pretty straightforward.

If Jovetic would occupy that main striker role he would bring our wingers much more to play than they are now and we would be seeing more goals from Walcott/Podolski/Ox/Gervinho...well maybe not from Gervinho.

Stevan Joveti

Not a chance in **** will Arsenal sign a young Frenchman...........................

a player Chelsea tried to sign while he was still injured. Last time we get unknown and quite young Frenchman we got Koscielny so I dont mind at all.

a player Chelsea tried to sign while he was still injured. Last time we get unknown and quite young Frenchman we got Koscielny so I dont mind at all.

Or if Koscielny's too old to be considered young, Nasri back in 2008 was the last young French signing. Arsenal ain't exactly doing this regularly.

Neymar to Barca, another nail in coffin for Cesc? (I'm reaching a bit here, someone help me)

Messi can play up front though, drop Neymar behind him? Or put him on the right and replace Sanchez (who we are also looking at).

Cesc plays in that false 9, and now Barca have Messi AND Neymar for that spot?

Messi can play up front though, drop Neymar behind him? Or put him on the right and replace Sanchez (who we are also looking at).

Cesc plays in that false 9, and now Barca have Messi AND Neymar for that spot?

Neymar on the left, Messi in the middle, Sanchez on the right.

Cesc in midfield or as CF

I see no way unless Messi's injured that Cesc will be starting. There will be Iniesta front of him for midfield also. Also everytime I saw him played deeper he was struggling. Especially when tried in Xavi-role. If Barca keep Thiago then he also will be infront of Cesc in that role as he did much better there. And then there's also Sergi Samper who I heard will be groomed to be Xavi's successor so they need to start playing him aswell or he might go in search of playing time.

But I still think he will stay at least for a year and try to win Champions League there.

Heard that there will likely be 3 signings in coming week(s?):

- Yaya Sanogo from Auxerre
- Danny Crowley from Villa
- Julio Pleguezuelo Selva from Barca

Last edited:
Perfect ending for summer for me. City and Arsenal will play end of pre-season friendly in Helsinki this summer. Was rumoured that it would happen in Stockholm first, but now Helsinki was confirmed after there has been many riots and unrest in Stockholm for some time.

Watching Benteke boss around the USA defense.

He's quality, we could certainly sign much worse.

This coming from an American, USA's defense is not that great... Anyways I think Benteke would be a good signing but not for 15m+ which he is quoted at.

Don't see why we need Benteke. We should be focusing fully on another CB, DM and AML in my opinion. Striker isn't needed at all.

Back