The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Watching Benteke boss around the USA defense.

He's quality, we could certainly sign much worse.

You could sign more necessary players though. A DM (for example) would be much more useful to Arsenal than Benteke, especially when you consider Benteke's pricetag will be set by Villa at something like 25 mil.

compared to our other rumored striker prospects benteke is the most realistic. we csrtainly need to strengthen other areas tho.

I don't see how Benteke is any more realistic than say David Villa, Higuain or Jovetic. The latter two have both been saying they want out of their current clubs.

Don't see why we need Benteke. We should be focusing fully on another CB, DM and AML in my opinion. Striker isn't needed at all.

Yeap. Especially DM is most crucial position we need to fix. I'd like us to try to sign Luis Gustavo now that Sebastian Rode is going to Bayern. For me he'd be 1st choice and only if that fails either Capoue or Gonalons.

Second most crucial position to fill is GK as Fabianski is off and Mannone isn't good enough to be our 2nd choice.

Cazorla was better when playing as AML so I think signing AM is better than AML as Rosicky won't be playing full season and Wilshere lacks bit of end product to play effectively as AM.

CB won't be needed IMO at all unless Vermaelen is sold and looks like he's staying to fight for his place. Especially as I've heard that Sagna also might stay so Sagna would be likely used as backup player in CB spot.

we could probably get benteke for. heaper than higuain and jojo. teke is also epl qualified. villa is getting up there in age.

Benteke is in form though, playing for a club where he's clearly their most valued player and most importantly -they can't replace like for like- By that I mean you arn't going to sell a 20m rated striker and get a player of that quality to sign for Villa... it just won't happen. If he's on his way out anyway then so be it, but Villa will milk him for all he's worth.

Villa's pretty decent I'd say, I'd take him on decent wages for a season or two (perhaps he can teach some of the strikers how to finish). Plus he's a proven winner and that mentality in the squad is useful, same as Ljunberg and Henry back as advisors.

Unsure about Higuain, he looks brilliant some games and seems to be bounced off the ball too much in others.

I'd still love to get a good CB since our young prospects at CB seem to always either leave or be totally ****. Somebody in the 20-23 range who can do what Smalling does for Utd and cover competently would be brilliant, however those players with talent at that age: cost.

Villa's pretty decent I'd say, I'd take him on decent wages for a season or two (perhaps he can teach some of the strikers how to finish). Plus he's a proven winner and that mentality in the squad is useful, same as Ljunberg and Henry back as advisors.

I'd still love to get a good CB since our young prospects at CB seem to always either leave or be totally ****. Somebody in the 20-23 range who can do what Smalling does for Utd and cover competently would be brilliant, however those players with talent at that age: cost.

Villa for 10m is a no brainer for me. He'd get 15+ goals per season for 2-3 seasons at least for us.

Yeah I'd also like a good young CB as our 4th choice, but there aren't too many of them or they would cost quite much. Only one who I can think of is Kurt Zouma at the moment.

We are about to sign new CB prospect in some time now. Julio Pleguezuelo Selva from Barcelona. Haven't seen much of him except some youtube flicks. Some are touting him as the next "Puyol". Don't know if he will be for the youth sector or U21/Cup/4th choice.

Anyone clue me in to the whole Fabregas situation by the way? I'm hearing he'd cost us 7-8m this summer to bring back... surely this seems like a formality if true and Barcelona badly need the funds?

Anyone clue me in to the whole Fabregas situation by the way? I'm hearing he'd cost us 7-8m this summer to bring back... surely this seems like a formality if true and Barcelona badly need the funds?

I believe we have a buy back clause for something like 15m or so. Manchester United want him but he already said he wouldn't join them.

Barca are making monthly payments on Cesc, if we buy him back we can cancel those payments and repay them what they paid us (like a complicated loan deal)....except we'd likely throw them some extra cash as Barca won't sell to come out even.

So if they have paid out 7 million so far, we will likely pay 7 million back, erase their debts and pay them an added 5-10 million.

Or if we wanted to get really complicated, we can deduct Song payments as well and pay Barca very little.

Last edited:
Barca are making monthly payments on Cesc, if we buy him back we can cancel those payments and repay them what they paid us (like a complicated loan deal)....except we'd likely throw them some extra cash as Barca won't sell to come out even.

So if they have paid out 7 million so far, we will likely pay 7 million back, erase their debts and pay them an added 5-10 million.

Or if we wanted to get really complicated, we can deduct Song payments as well and pay Barca very little.

Yeap. 25-30m Release clause is there, but Barca owe us quite much from both Fab and Song deals so we'd end up paying quite little in the end.

Apparently he will make a decision regarding his future this week as well.

Wenger is starting to talk about Cesc too.

and Ox with the goal in Brazil!

oh and this

That's Rooney's btw.

Last edited:
BREAKING: Kos on Eurosport: "If the club doesn't put any effort into winning trophies, I will consider a move, but not to any random team. I feel good at Arsenal, if we have ambition to fight against the other teams of course I want to stay here. I wouldn't mind discovering some other championships. I don't want to be fighting like we have this season because, psychologically, it is very tiring."

Oh dear...

Saw Bayern Munich are considering putting in an offer for him.

And it continues......... I must say it is the same thing year in year out with Arsenal and their best players i cannot imagine what its like to be a fan.

BREAKING: Kos on Eurosport: "If the club doesn't put any effort into winning trophies, I will consider a move, but not to any random team. I feel good at Arsenal, if we have ambition to fight against the other teams of course I want to stay here. I wouldn't mind discovering some other championships. I don't want to be fighting like we have this season because, psychologically, it is very tiring."

Oh dear...

Oh ffs

and I'm not even an Arsenal fan.

Back