The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Good quote from him though, he's absolutely right, it's tiring to be fighting for 4th place while Chamakh takes home his 70k a week just to turn up to train and never plays a match.

Wouldn't be surprised if he does the same thing as RVP did, which is to either get as much value from his transfer as possible, or force the board to sanction some players this year, since obviously Sanogo is hardly going to be a marquee signing right now.

Kosc is fantastic, anyone who gets him - if he decides to leave is a - is a lucky club.

Crazy rumor breaking that we have activated Marouane Fellaini's release clause of 22m. Not sure if this is true but that would be HUGE.

Wouldn't read much into it, just rumours at the moment. Apparently he's said himself that he wants to play for Everton next season, but his agent and chairman deny that.

Plus, SkyBet have slashed odds due to a serious amount of betting on the transfer. Who knows.

The Times and Guardian have reported it. Twitter going crazy over it.

BBC's Howard Nurse on Twitter:

Reports #AFC Arsenal have triggered release clause for Fellaini appear premature. My colleague @bbcsport_david keeping tabs on this one.

If it happens, I'll be one happy man; imagine Arteta and Fellaini reunited, with Wilshere in the mixture too :wub:

Quote from Gazidis:

"This year we are beginning to see something we have been planning for some time - the escalation in our financial firepower.
That is going to happen partly into next season, it is part way available now in the summer, but the following season as well. It is a progression over the next two seasons and is quite significant for the club."

Reportedly this puts available funds at 150m over two years.

As for the Fellaini deal, 24m for a player with strength and presence who is able to defend as well as offer an aerial threat (our midfield is definitely full of midgets) would be a good signing. We're so used to Wenger signing cheap players who 'could be good', I don't think anyone knows how to react when he starts looking at more established options. Currently the linked players I've heard about are Julio Cesar, Ashley Williams, Fellaini and presumably one of Jovetic, Higuain, Rooney, Benteke or Villa. Whether any of those actually come to fruition is anyone's guess; however it's certainly fun to be linked to players you can afford, rather than everyone else having all the fun.

Heh, I would be happy with that move to be honest. But doubt it's true for now, I hate the off-season rumour mill with a passion.

Now that our board have come out and said we can compete financially with the bigger teams and "afford Rooney and more" we seriously better use that power to bring in big name players. If we don't sign some good players this year there will be no excuse for why we couldn't. The board seriously need to put up or shut up.

I find it hard to believe they would come out and say that and not follow through with it, that would have some serious ramifications.

We are talking about Arsenal right?

Paying a record fee for a buyout clause which is very close to the actual player valuation is not a bargain.

Getting Ronaldo for 25 would be a bargain.

But this just indicates that our organization is willing to spend and meet teams at a higher figure.

We are talking about Arsenal right?

Paying a record fee for a buyout clause which is very close to the actual player valuation is not a bargain.

Getting Ronaldo for 25 would be a bargain.

But this just indicates that our organization is willing to spend and meet teams at a higher figure.

I don't think it matters which club we are talking about if we are talking about bargains.

I think how player contributes to the team matters more than the transfer fee.

Say a club signs Messi for what 150m. He goes on playing as well as he has till now. I'd consider that 150m a bargain.

Now as we are talking about Fellaini. 25-year old player who can play either as DM which we desperately need and also in that "diaby" role bit further ahead. He is asset when defending set pieces and threat on other end. Also almost 200 games in England so far so quite experienced.

Everton signed Fellaini for 15m which is their transfer record and I think that transfer could be classed as bargain for them. So why wouldn't paying 7m more for a player who is much much more experienced be classed as bargain for us if the transfer would happen ( Not saying I believe in that we've triggered his clause or anything just yet ) and he'd continue to improve and play well for us?

You are thinking of investment potential.

You pay 25m for him and get a player who brings the club more money and trophies.

I'm talking about bargain (aka discount).

If fellaini is valued ~25 million and we pay 22-23, that's a discount of 12%. Not exactly an after christmas sale.

You are thinking of investment potential.

You pay 25m for him and get a player who brings the club more money and trophies.

I'm talking about bargain (aka discount).

If fellaini is valued ~25 million and we pay 22-23, that's a discount of 12%. Not exactly an after christmas sale.

I think he can be both if you consider who could we get for same amount who'd be as good or better than him?

Back