The Arsenal Thread

I remember Wenger explaining how the dedicated 'holding midfielder' role was becoming less common amongst European football clubs and thus reinforced his belief that Arsenal no longer needed one. RM for example, are a brilliant team but their most 'defensive' player is Alonso, and the Spanish national team don't usually implement an out and out DM. The logic behind it of course is that if you have brilliant passers of the ball, you won't ever need to win it back really - hence the tentative bid for Cabaye and Artetas 'evolution' as a DLP.

That is correct, maybe it even worked for a while, but tactics always evolve. If you look at last year's CL final, both Dortmund and Bayern had a proper hardman (Bender and Martinez).

In the meantime european results of top english clubs aren't exactly impressive lately, unless someone counts Chelsea Bus as revolutionary tactics.

In the modern 4-2-3-1, having an out and out DM on the field really hurts your team.

4 guys up front need service and can only get it from 2 midfielders. If one of those midfielders lacks the ability to pass well you severely hamper your attack.

If you played a diamond formation, you could use a ball winner (AC Milan/Gattuso).

That is correct, maybe it even worked for a while, but tactics always evolve. If you look at last year's CL final, both Dortmund and Bayern had a proper hardman (Bender and Martinez).

I could be mistaken as I don't follow the German league much; but Bender was hardly the first name on the team sheet last year, was he? He would get appearances, but usually in the last 15 minutes from what I remember.

Javi Martinez is a fantastic footballer. If all defensive midfielders could be like him, I'm sure all teams would utilise them. :)

Mesut Özil crazy skillz .... what we expect from him :

[video=youtube;dInyaQMIZqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dInyaQMIZqA[/video]

Shirt sales at online store from 27,000 to over 200,000 after Özil signing and still going strong. Also demand for corporate boxes etc increased massively. Who knew this would happen? ;)

Ok is anybody else finding all these articles hilarious? New manager comes and does not like one of the best players in the world so he falls down the pecking order, Ancelotti not doing so well already with so many players dissapointed. Oh and thanks Ancelotti

They will definately regret this deal for long time.

Shirt sales at online store from 27,000 to over 200,000 after Özil signing and still going strong. Also demand for corporate boxes etc increased massively. Who knew this would happen? ;)
Maybe Arsenal management will learn that making fans and getting better players = better support from the public, nobody loves to be hated, they all got some recognition

Maybe Arsenal management will learn that making fans and getting better players = better support from the public, nobody loves to be hated, they all got some recognition

Yeap also our ability to pull players has just improved massively.

Yeap also our ability to pull players has just improved massively.

Yep, Ozil will probably make everybody better too, when a player like that arrives everybody will have to step up their game. Giroud will have to do even better, same with Walcott. I would say the only drawback to Ozil is that Rosicky may finally be benched for longer

Yep, Ozil will probably make everybody better too, when a player like that arrives everybody will have to step up their game. Giroud will have to do even better, same with Walcott. I would say the only drawback to Ozil is that Rosicky may finally be benched for longer

Rosicky usually plays in a central-midfield position, the amount of people that don't get the difference is unbelievable!! Ozil plays behind the striker as a no.10 type role.

Rosicky usually plays in a central-midfield position, the amount of people that don't get the difference is unbelievable!! Ozil plays behind the striker as a no.10 type role.

No matter Rosicky is still the player who will be benched for Özil.

Yes of course but lately he was deployed as the 10 with jack and ramsey behind him, when Ozil comes into the side I dont see Rosicky beating out wilshere and ramsey and maybe sometimes rotating with Ozil who most likely will be swapped with Cazorla soemtimes

Both Gedion Zelalem and Serge Gnabry officially promoted to first team for this season.

We had no choice really lol they are our two most promising players

I believe this was always the plan for those two no matter who comes in. Maybe some cup games for them or late minutes in Prem along with Miyaichi and Sanogo then a loan deal from january forwards.

If it was then thats amazing gedion is only 16! and is in the first team subs atm must be a dream come true but yeah i expect to see them in some league cup games coming on late minutes. i really don't rate frimpong though! i hope he doesnt injury ozil in training haha!