The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Podolski can absolutely work as striker, although he might not function that well specifically as a lone forward in 4-2-3-1.

Podolski can absolutely work as striker, although he might not function that well specifically as a lone forward in 4-2-3-1.

Yeap. Works as a striker in 4-4-2, but for so far he hasn't been effective playing as lone forward for us.

Lol. Spurs practically asked for it really. Should have taken one of the early offers when Madrid offered DiMaria+Concentrao+money or whatever that was. Instead Levy milked the Bale deal for months and made Madrid bend over so much, they ****** him over at first chance they had. Sometimes its not a best idea to try and pushover the shark.

Lol. Spurs practically asked for it really. Should have taken one of the early offers when Madrid offered DiMaria+Concentrao+money or whatever that was. Instead Levy milked the Bale deal for months and made Madrid bend over so much, they ****** him over at first chance they had. Sometimes its not a best idea to try and pushover the shark.

I honestly still think Arsenal's squad is generally weak. I mean they made 2 signings in the end and Ozil was just one to appease the Arsenal fans, not someone they really needed. The squad depth is still a big issue and I still don't think their window has been handled well.. just like United's.

Spurs would have bitten their hand off for Di Maria+Coentrao+£ ... Players obviously didn't want to go there.

I honestly still think Arsenal's squad is generally weak. I mean they made 2 signings in the end and Ozil was just one to appease the Arsenal fans, not someone they really needed. The squad depth is still a big issue and I still don't think their window has been handled well.. just like United's.

Weak? Really...

Transfer window wasn't as good as it could have been, but in a way tide has turned with Özil and Wenger would never sign a player just to appease fans. That's just idiotic.

Ozil might not be what they needed the most, but he practically guarantees 25-30 goals created or shot per season. And that's not nothing.

Weak? Really...

Transfer window wasn't as good as it could have been, but in a way tide has turned with Özil and Wenger would never sign a player just to appease fans. That's just idiotic.

I genuinely think you didn't actually need Ozil, I mean you had Cazorla, Arteta, Wilshere who can all play that position behind the striker if needed. You mainly needed a winger, so I think to improve the actual squad Di Maria would of been better for you.

But reason I say generally weak is because you have a lot of problems with the squad (such as depth) and in particular positions as well. Like defence still has question marks, as well as upfront, I mean if you lose Giroud to injury your gonna get weaker on the flanks because Podolski/Walcott will presumably play there. (All referring back to squad depth really).

Ozil might not be what they needed the most, but he practically guarantees 25-30 goals created or shot per season. And that's not nothing.

Didn't say it was nothing! Just don't think he is one they really needed and the squad hasn't improved in key areas it needed to. (In my opinion - squad depth is a big issue).

Obviously Ozil is a fantastic signing whether you really needed him or not, due to the calibre of player he is and his stats speak for themselves.

I genuinely think you didn't actually need Ozil, I mean you had Cazorla, Arteta, Wilshere who can all play that position behind the striker if needed. You mainly needed a winger, so I think to improve the actual squad Di Maria would of been better for you.

But reason I say generally weak is because you have a lot of problems with the squad (such as depth) and in particular positions as well. Like defence still has question marks, as well as upfront, I mean if you lose Giroud to injury your gonna get weaker on the flanks because Podolski/Walcott will presumably play there. (All referring back to squad depth really).

Yeah there are couple weaknesses, but when you think about it which club doesnt?

We've (again) had bad luck with injuries right now. If we had all of Vermaelen, Arteta, Ox and Poldi fit there wouldn't be any major problem.

You mainly needed a winger, so I think to improve the actual squad Di Maria would of been better for you.

We don't play with wingers or IFs, so it would be an odd fit. Oxlade is the closest to a winger we have.

Walcott plays as, what I would describe as, an outside-striker. He works the channel between full back and centre back in a very advanced role. Basically as a striker off-centre. He's not a traditional winger, or a modern inside forward.

On the left, Podolski does similar. And when Cazorla plays left, he obviously does a more Silva or Iniesta-esque role.

I'll leave this on the Utd thread too but is it just me that thinks the Ozil-Fellaini deals would have been better suited the other way around?

I'll leave this on the Utd thread too but is it just me that thinks the Ozil-Fellaini deals would have been better suited the other way around?

While we could have done with player like Fellaini it was clear we weren't interested in him. Lars Bender was the main midfield target and I can see us going back for him in january or next summer.

Really happy with Özil and I would take him over Fellaini any day.

Hmm, not really, United have long needed a big guy in midfield who can rough up some feathers. (Bit like a Keane). Fellaini does more than just that but he is someone we needed in midfield we were really weak.

As regards to Ozil I don't think United needed a player like that especially, we have Kagawa/Rooney who play that position behind the striker.

Well the chance to sign someone like Ozil doesn't come around often. Him wanting to leave in a first place was a complex late development that was building over the course of transfer window, as well as Ancelotti not picking him for the first squad. Its also World Cup year, Ozil is competing for national team spot with bunch of brilliant players so he needs first team football - else he might have chosen to stick around and try his luck in convincing Ancelotti to change his mind.

That and Arsenal didn't really have proper holding midfielder for a while now (Song definitely doesn't count and neither does Arteta) and they managed, so...

Well the chance to sign someone like Ozil doesn't come around often. Him wanting to leave in a first place was a complex late development that was building over the course of transfer window, as well as Ancelotti not picking him for the first squad. Its also World Cup year, Ozil is competing for national team spot with bunch of brilliant players so he needs first team football - else he might have chosen to stick around and try his luck in convincing Ancelotti to change his mind.

That and Arsenal didn't really have proper holding midfielder for a while now (Song definitely doesn't count and neither does Arteta) and they managed, so...

Arsene Wenger would like to ask you what is a holding midfielder, he would really like to know.

I remember Wenger explaining how the dedicated 'holding midfielder' role was becoming less common amongst European football clubs and thus reinforced his belief that Arsenal no longer needed one. RM for example, are a brilliant team but their most 'defensive' player is Alonso, and the Spanish national team don't usually implement an out and out DM. The logic behind it of course is that if you have brilliant passers of the ball, you won't ever need to win it back really - hence the tentative bid for Cabaye and Artetas 'evolution' as a DLP.

Back