The Arsenal Thread

Well, whether he should be off or not, that was easily dealt with if Sagna tracked back, instead of running at a slow canter whilst Lewa banged in a goal unmarked.

That lewandowski goal was really quite a sucker punch but oh well, if only we were a bit better in final third this would have been a win. First loss in a while but life goes on, plus it wasnt a league loss so thats goood

Little bit of unlucky, but losses come and still very good chance to qualify.

Good game, result as expected since Dortmund practically had 12 players on the pitch ( They've covered 10km more than Arsenal players, absolutely unbelievable). Arsenal was unlucky? not to score one more, but hey, that's the football for you.

If I was an Arsenal fan, I'd be very happy with this result - I don't think many teams can win against this Dortmund side. Arsenal gave it a good go, but the difference in quality showed through in the end, with a bit of bad luck for Arsenal too!

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk.

If I was an Arsenal fan, I'd be very happy with this result - I don't think many teams can win against this Dortmund side. Arsenal gave it a good go, but the difference in quality showed through in the end, with a bit of bad luck for Arsenal too!

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk.

I'm never happy if we lose, but I'm not too bothered with it either. They were better for the start, but for most part of the match we had the upper hand. Overall draw would have been fair result as neither team created chances. With bit of luck it could easily have been 3-2 for us, but these things happen.

Next month is a real test of your title credentials. You lot have had an easy run this far with only Spurs posing any real threat. Next up there are games against the Manchester clubs and chelsea as well as Dortmund away all in quick succession. Let's see how Arsenal hold up then ...

are yall kidding me with this? We played lazily and we should have won. Wilshere has been a liability (oh right he scored two hes in top form...) we made **** runs until last quarter of game, sagnas crossing is junk and we were lucky to score.

Jack and Ramsey and rosi ky rarely tracked back to give defense passing options (ozil actually had to sprint back to give just one option) which led to most of our possession to be in our half. We were completely outworked.

Did Norwich lull us to sleep or were we just tired? I cant wait for pods and theo to get back

are yall kidding me with this? We played lazily and we should have won. Wilshere has been a liability (oh right he scored two hes in top form...) we made **** runs until last quarter of game, sagnas crossing is junk and we were lucky to score.

Jack and Ramsey and rosi ky rarely tracked back to give defense passing options (ozil actually had to sprint back to give just one option) which led to most of our possession to be in our half. We were completely outworked.

Did Norwich lull us to sleep or were we just tired? I cant wait for pods and theo to get back

I'd agree with this. Their first goal was Ramsey dribbling just outside his own box, Wilshere was very poor, although is at least looking sharper, and Sagna's crossing.. well, lets just say he's always been horrible at that.

I'd say that Walcott will be crucial to offer something different, though on the upside, Giroud was one again extremely good.

Next month is a real test of your title credentials. You lot have had an easy run this far with only Spurs posing any real threat. Next up there are games against the Manchester clubs and chelsea as well as Dortmund away all in quick succession. Let's see how Arsenal hold up then ...

They're playing us in a week and a half too iirc

Sagna's crossing has always been awful. Which wouldn't be to bad because of how good he is defensively, but he seems to think he is good at crossing so constantly gets forwards and puts them in :/

Overall an extremely poor performance in my opinion. Our passing was too slow and not direct enough, and we never got enough players forward. Most of our attacks consisted of Giroud trying to get into a position, with 1 or 2 Arsenal players on the wings and the rest of the team outside the final third. And when we finally started to get players forward, we didn't get them back again which led to their goal.

On a more positive not, Cazorla looked bright, and I don't think Ramsey was as bad as people were saying - apart from his stupid mistake at the start obviously!

Again, you have to take into account how good Dortmund are, though, before you criticise Arsenal. Yes, they weren't playing their best football, but a 2-1 loss against last year's Champions League finalists (who have, in my opinion, improved their squad this season) is nothing to be ashamed of.

Again, you have to take into account how good Dortmund are, though, before you criticise Arsenal. Yes, they weren't playing their best football, but a 2-1 loss against last year's Champions League finalists (who have, in my opinion, improved their squad this season) is nothing to be ashamed of.

I don't think anyone would be concerned with losing, however the manner of the goals were from being careless, and that is something which should be avoided in CL games. I think anyone can understand a moment of genius from top class players, but in my opinion, the side wasn't made to work hard enough for their win.

Still, on to the weekend, I'd rather take a loss to a top side and dig in and fix some of the issues which come into your game from being on a winning streak.

They're playing us in a week and a half too iirc

Exactly. Let's see how they hold up against good sides before we crown them champions. Dortmund was their first real test and they flopped. I wouldn't really put too much into the Spurs game either considering it was early into the season and their squad had just gotten several new additions whereas Arsenals was largely the same ... Next month will be telling

Exactly. Let's see how they hold up against good sides before we crown them champions. Dortmund was their first real test and they flopped. I wouldn't really put too much into the Spurs game either considering it was early into the season and their squad had just gotten several new additions whereas Arsenals was largely the same ... Next month will be telling

Reading this response, I must say it's pretty frustrating to read as an Arsenal fan. No proper fan who isn't a total wum has been saying Arsenal are champions-elect, or even League cup champions! Fans are happy that the club finally appears to have some positivity to it. The first thing to remember is that everybody loses. Even Barcelona under Pep with his best XI lost against some pretty average teams, it is part of the game and expecting every game unbeaten is something which is almost unheard of.

What sustains you as a fan of a club in transition, such as Arsenal or Liverpool, is that you feel nostalgia for former glories, to feel that your club can, no - will - come good again. That either means in terms of success, but also in less tangible aspects such as the way it is run, the style of football and to have a team you identify with, made up of players who seem to enjoy playing for their club as much as you enjoy watching. As a fan, you understand you have little chance of winning anything, and that you likely have a painful collapse or two to watch during the season; but you want to have that tempered by hope; something which allows you to actually cheer for your team and identify with fellow fans.

In recent years, it has been pretty hard to cheer for a new stadium, because that is all the club has achieved. New corporate boxes? The crowd most certainly isn't going wild. New sponsorship deals? Corporate hospitality? ... The terraces are as silent to that, as the visiting businessmen eating prawn sandwiches in those shiny new corporate boxes.

Yes, as a fan you understand the potential of such things, you understand this adds to the stature of the club, and it is great that the stadium can be expanded (already partially done during the close season, with a potential upwards of 80,000), it is great that the brand of the club is strong, that the global fan base is still colossal despite not winning anything in ages.. but as a fan I cannot cheer for that. It says a lot, that on the Arsenal facebook page, where there are lots of "new" Asian and South African fans (amongst others), even they took to writing "Spend some ******* money!" in pretty terrible English after year after year of frustration.

What is finally starting to look better, however, is the ambition of the club gradually matching the fans'. Wenger understands he doesn't have another 17 years to build a team, as he said in a recent interview, and his brilliance at hiding our net spend being lower than 80% teams in the league yet still qualifying for the Champions League like a croissant-scented metronome. I think that the signing of Ozil, signing a top class player in their prime, something which hasn't happened at Arsenal for eighteen years marks a substantial change; perhaps not in the first XI or the squad this season, but in the momentum of the football club. Allowing players, and fans, to believe that the potential is there.. that other top class players will follow. That first trophy, whatever it is, is going to be an awful lot sweeter having been through this journey of transition. The problem with flying so high is that you fall further, and Arsenal for a long time have been a pale shadow of the Invincibles both in terms of mental steel and skill.

Watching Arsenal pick apart an admittedly poor Norwich; enjoying Ramsey doing his Zidane-turn-into-dribble and Ozil finding players with superb pin point passing, I felt the team were almost daring myself to believe that the club you supported could be on its way back, that the perennial seasons of missed opportunity could be drawing to a close. The performance almost made me feel the players recognise that, the confidence that they can win tangible.

When I see "flopped", I was immediately stuck with the feeling you didn't watch the game, and I felt a little disheartened you want to break down the performance to a caricature. That you're desperate to find that same brush that has been well worn for the last eight years, to take up painting the same picture of just failing at the last moment. In fact, both goals in that game came from confidence. Ramsey's overconfidence that he can do anything in his current form, and Sagna providing an overlap he didn't need to whilst wanting to push for a win, to push for that glory of actually breaking the cycle of being there, but not quite on the top of the pile. There was good heart in the team, some great play, and this is against a top side in great form, under a fantastic manager.

This is why fans are positive; nobody is already cheering the premier league trophy. It is that regardless of the wins or loses, shockingly bad performances or brilliant ones - that over arching factor.... that glacial sense of progression, that feeling of making you want to dare to believe; to believe it could actually be the start of something new. Perhaps not this season,; but undoubtedly the club is finally gaining momentum and appears to not be perpetually stalled. To feel that momentum once again as a fan is a glorious thing, and it makes both fans and players want to re-gain that place at the top table and make it their own.

Reading this response, I must say it's pretty frustrating to read as an Arsenal fan. No proper fan who isn't a total wum has been saying Arsenal are champions-elect, or even League cup champions! Fans are happy that the club finally appears to have some positivity to it. The first thing to remember is that everybody loses. Even Barcelona under Pep with his best XI lost against some pretty average teams, it is part of the game and expecting every game unbeaten is something which is almost unheard of.

What sustains you as a fan of a club in transition, such as Arsenal or Liverpool, is that you feel nostalgia for former glories, to feel that your club can, no - will - come good again. That either means in terms of success, but also in less tangible aspects such as the way it is run, the style of football and to have a team you identify with, made up of players who seem to enjoy playing for their club as much as you enjoy watching. As a fan, you understand you have little chance of winning anything, and that you likely have a painful collapse or two to watch during the season; but you want to have that tempered by hope; something which allows you to actually cheer for your team and identify with fellow fans.

In recent years, it has been pretty hard to cheer for a new stadium, because that is all the club has achieved. New corporate boxes? The crowd most certainly isn't going wild. New sponsorship deals? Corporate hospitality? ... The terraces are as silent to that, as the visiting businessmen eating prawn sandwiches in those shiny new corporate boxes.

Yes, as a fan you understand the potential of such things, you understand this adds to the stature of the club, and it is great that the stadium can be expanded (already partially done during the close season, with a potential upwards of 80,000), it is great that the brand of the club is strong, that the global fan base is still colossal despite not winning anything in ages.. but as a fan I cannot cheer for that. It says a lot, that on the Arsenal facebook page, where there are lots of "new" Asian and South African fans (amongst others), even they took to writing "Spend some ******* money!" in pretty terrible English after year after year of frustration.

What is finally starting to look better, however, is the ambition of the club gradually matching the fans'. Wenger understands he doesn't have another 17 years to build a team, as he said in a recent interview, and his brilliance at hiding our net spend being lower than 80% teams in the league yet still qualifying for the Champions League like a croissant-scented metronome. I think that the signing of Ozil, signing a top class player in their prime, something which hasn't happened at Arsenal for eighteen years marks a substantial change; perhaps not in the first XI or the squad this season, but in the momentum of the football club. Allowing players, and fans, to believe that the potential is there.. that other top class players will follow. That first trophy, whatever it is, is going to be an awful lot sweeter having been through this journey of transition. The problem with flying so high is that you fall further, and Arsenal for a long time have been a pale shadow of the Invincibles both in terms of mental steel and skill.

Watching Arsenal pick apart an admittedly poor Norwich; enjoying Ramsey doing his Zidane-turn-into-dribble and Ozil finding players with superb pin point passing, I felt the team were almost daring myself to believe that the club you supported could be on its way back, that the perennial seasons of missed opportunity could be drawing to a close. The performance almost made me feel the players recognise that, the confidence that they can win tangible.

When I see "flopped", I was immediately stuck with the feeling you didn't watch the game, and I felt a little disheartened you want to break down the performance to a caricature. That you're desperate to find that same brush that has been well worn for the last eight years, to take up painting the same picture of just failing at the last moment. In fact, both goals in that game came from confidence. Ramsey's overconfidence that he can do anything in his current form, and Sagna providing an overlap he didn't need to whilst wanting to push for a win, to push for that glory of actually breaking the cycle of being there, but not quite on the top of the pile. There was good heart in the team, some great play, and this is against a top side in great form, under a fantastic manager.

This is why fans are positive; nobody is already cheering the premier league trophy. It is that regardless of the wins or loses, shockingly bad performances or brilliant ones - that over arching factor.... that glacial sense of progression, that feeling of making you want to dare to believe; to believe it could actually be the start of something new. Perhaps not this season,; but undoubtedly the club is finally gaining momentum and appears to not be perpetually stalled. To feel that momentum once again as a fan is a glorious thing, and it makes both fans and players want to re-gain that place at the top table and make it their own.
I agree whole-heartedly with what you've said. Football fans are naturally optimistic about their own team, and sceptical about other teams, it's just the nature of following a club. However, I haven't heard many Arsenal fans actually, seriously think that the league is theirs this year - I've heard many say it could be, but I don't think any real fans are as gullible as to think that the league is theirs already.

Better write a book.

Lord of the Rings IV - Arsene The Grey.

Better write a book.

Lord of the Rings IV - Arsene The Grey.

I do know what you mean, I debated writing anything at all. I just felt that sometimes when you feel something strongly you look at the base of that, reduce it, find that kernel of feeling which actually causes the reaction and express it. It isn't a single, easy to explain concept, it is more about what it feels like to be a fan during this phase, and I thought it would be interesting to express to other fans of privilege, an anyone else interested!

A blog is something I current mess around with (long distance walking and world traveling), though for football I tend to save my opinions for forums, and to a lesser extent, the pub!

Poor game today so far, by the way.

This result has been utterly undeserved, but that's football. The second goal was nice.