The Arsenal Thread

Well.... it says everything that we're playing better with 10 men.

Having Flamini off with an injury and having Arteta carded with a red may come back over the future games to cause problems for us though!

For the second goal, again an assist for Ramsey, fantastic run and pass, and Giroud has been working hard whilst down to 10, and his run for the goal at a dead sprint into the box in the 86th min was great to see.

Last edited:
This result has been utterly undeserved, but that's football. The second goal was nice.

Yeah, hard not to agree with that, Palace could have been a potential banana skin away, fantastic amount of running from Palace too.

It was good to see the keeper in good form and saving the points, he will need to be pulling off something special over the next few games to secure any positive results.

Arteta shouldn't have been red carded, but still good result despite not the best performance.

Arteta shouldn't have been red carded, but still good result despite not the best performance.

It probably should have been a yellow but red was fair enough because he was the last man. I dont feel like we benefited muchform arteta that game anyway, he sideway passing against these tems that park the bus for so long can be quite useless

It probably should have been a yellow but red was fair enough because he was the last man. I dont feel like we benefited muchform arteta that game anyway, he sideway passing against these tems that park the bus for so long can be quite useless

Last man isn't the rule. Goal scoring chance is if I'm not terrible mistaken and this wasn't a clear cut chance. Also as I've just seen replay it wasn't even a foul as he ran to Arteta and his leg kicked Arteta's. Ball was also going otherway and wasn't in his control.

We need to appeal the red so we have Arteta for Chelsea match.

This result has been utterly undeserved, but that's football. The second goal was nice.

A point would of been fair, although if either team deserved to win it was us. Great energy and determination shown by the Eagles, but they never really looked like winning...

A point would of been fair, although if either team deserved to win it was us. Great energy and determination shown by the Eagles, but they never really looked like winning...

We had more shots than you despite you having 63% possession. Arsenal were poor today, and you were saved by a combination of a truly awful tackle from Guedioura, our inability to finish and some fantastic goalkeeping from Wojciech.

Last man isn't the rule. Goal scoring chance is if I'm not terrible mistaken and this wasn't a clear cut chance. Also as I've just seen replay it wasn't even a foul as he ran to Arteta and his leg kicked Arteta's. Ball was also going otherway and wasn't in his control.

We need to appeal the red so we have Arteta for Chelsea match.

To play Devil's Advocate, it was a clear cut chance since he was ahead of Arteta in a two on one situation. Arteta was the last man - which isn't the rule, but is a good yardstick for such things - and it was probably a foul, given that "his leg kicked Arteta's" is more accurately described as "Arteta accidentally tripped him".

I'd say it was ref's call on that one, though he was unlucky to get a red.

We had more shots than you despite you having 63% possession. Arsenal were poor today, and you were saved by a combination of a truly awful tackle from Guedioura, our inability to finish and some fantastic goalkeeping from Wojciech.

More shots doesn't necessarily mean more/better chances. Napoli had loads of shots against us at home, yet we battered them. Until the sending off you never really threatened, although neither did we apart from a bit of Gnabry magic that got us a penalty.

To play Devil's Advocate, it was a clear cut chance since he was ahead of Arteta in a two on one situation. Arteta was the last man - which isn't the rule, but is a good yardstick for such things - and it was probably a foul, given that "his leg kicked Arteta's" is more accurately described as "Arteta accidentally tripped him".

I'd say it was ref's call on that one, though he was unlucky to get a red.

Chamakh mis controlled the ball. The ball went one way, to the right of Chamakh (And away from goal), whilst Arteta half an arms length away from Chamakh. Chamakh then ran to the left (Away from the ball) and into Chamakh. In real time it looked like a foul, but when looking at the reply it isn't certain, and it certainly isn't a red card.

More shots doesn't necessarily mean more/better chances. Napoli had loads of shots against us at home, yet we battered them. Until the sending off you never really threatened, although neither did we apart from a bit of Gnabry magic that got us a penalty.

Yeah, except we did have better chances. Jedinak's volley, Ward's shot off the bar, Dikagacoi's header... Arsenal didn't really create a clear chance until the Giroud goal.

I think the most important thing for Arsenal in the wake of this match is probably the Arteta/Flamini problems. You need at least one, and both are out for a very big game.

Chamakh mis controlled the ball. The ball went one way, to the right of Chamakh (And away from goal), whilst Arteta half an arms length away from Chamakh. Chamakh then ran to the left (Away from the ball) and into Chamakh. In real time it looked like a foul, but when looking at the reply it isn't certain, and it certainly isn't a red card.

Yeah it definitely wasn't going right. Go watch a replay. It was right out in front of him. Chamakh leant left in reaction to Arteta coming at him, having a legal shoulder to shoulder challenge with Arteta, then went down after Arteta's leg caught him.

It's technically a foul. Whether or not it's a red is highly debateable.

Yeah it definitely wasn't going right. Go watch a replay. It was right out in front of him. Chamakh leant left in reaction to Arteta coming at him, having a legal shoulder to shoulder challenge with Arteta, then went down after Arteta's leg caught him.

It's technically a foul. Whether or not it's a red is highly debateable.

It definitely was. I'll try find a replay that shows it.

Here you go: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x16gk7w_arteta-red-card-vs-crystal-palace_sport
Look at the 2nd replay of it. The ball clearly goes to the right, Chamakh goes left with his elbow and knocks Arteta over, then Artetas leg catches Chamakh.

And Jedinak's volley was the only time you really had a clear chance to score. Szczesny first save wasn't going in, we should of had another penalty and we had a number of chances, without getting the finishing touch.

Last edited:
After watching that replay, I have to agree to agree with Scotty98TR since it did look like the ball was going right - although whether or not it's a foul is still up for debate in my opinion.

3 points

Giroud scored again

Ramsey assisted again

Ozil ran all over the pitch

Still top of league

Could not care less about the red card atm. Haven't heard anything on flamini's injury and besides, Ramsey can play deep with Jack.

Flamini out for two weeks, quite a loss really. Still, we will lose players, it just depends on Arteta to play it simply and not **** about trying to do his quasi-Xavi turn and pass which he seems to get found out with a lot.

3 points

Giroud scored again

Ramsey assisted again

Ozil ran all over the pitch

Still top of league

Could not care less about the red card atm. Haven't heard anything on flamini's injury and besides, Ramsey can play deep with Jack.
This is such a superficial view of events. You honestly think that Arsenal would've done as well as they have if they weren't solid defensively (with Flamini playing a leading role in it)? Arteta and Flamini are both likely to be out for the new couple of games (maybe more), which will be a massive blow - as good as they both are, Wilshere and Ramsey are not a solid deep-lying pair - even Coquelin and Diaby would be a more balanced, and probably defensively-solid, pair.

However, that's not to say that it means Arsenal will lose their next few matches - the game next week against us will really help determine how serious they are as contenders this season.

This is such a superficial view of events. You honestly think that Arsenal would've done as well as they have if they weren't solid defensively (with Flamini playing a leading role in it)? Arteta and Flamini are both likely to be out for the new couple of games (maybe more), which will be a massive blow - as good as they both are, Wilshere and Ramsey are not a solid deep-lying pair - even Coquelin and Diaby would be a more balanced, and probably defensively-solid, pair.

However, that's not to say that it means Arsenal will lose their next few matches - the game next week against us will really help determine how serious they are as contenders this season.

Arteta will only be suspended for the Chelsea match, which he wouldn't of played in anyway. And Vermaelen used to be a decent defensive mid at Ajax, so he could play there if we really need it.