The Arsenal Thread

This is such a superficial view of events. You honestly think that Arsenal would've done as well as they have if they weren't solid defensively (with Flamini playing a leading role in it)? Arteta and Flamini are both likely to be out for the new couple of games (maybe more), which will be a massive blow - as good as they both are, Wilshere and Ramsey are not a solid deep-lying pair - even Coquelin and Diaby would be a more balanced, and probably defensively-solid, pair.

However, that's not to say that it means Arsenal will lose their next few matches - the game next week against us will really help determine how serious they are as contenders this season.

it was meant to be superficial...yall worried about a red card and i dont think it matters. **** happens. And ramsey and.wilshere have played deep before and are capable.

Last edited:
it was neant to be superficial...yall worried about a red card and i dont think it matters. **** happens. And ramsey and.wilshere have played deep before and are capable.

Agreed, you cant just look at every setback, there is always injuries/red cards what have you. What matters is we got 3 points and still top, flamini missing is huge against chealsea manu and liverpool but thats another problem

Vermaelen at DM?

I'm inclined to remove all your posting rights for even mentioning it.

The big thing for me is that we won without playing well. How many times in the past would we have a guy get sent off and then lose focus and concede and drop points? It hasn't been the case this season so far. We have played poorly against West Brom, Crystal Palace and even Norwich and still pick up points. I like our chances this season and these next two weeks will be huge.

We played Verminator at DM in closing minutes of games last season...Arsene even mentioned his intrigue at playing him more there.

We played Verminator at DM in closing minutes of games last season...Arsene even mentioned his intrigue at playing him more there.

Yes, however.. he hasn't been in the first XI recently, and despite him being an influential player when he arrived, I really don't think dropping him in as DM against players such as Suarez, Rooney, Oscar & Mkhitaryan is going to help, other than if we're desperate. And that's just the next few games.

it was meant to be superficial...yall worried about a red card and i dont think it matters. **** happens. And ramsey and.wilshere have played deep before and are capable.
Then you're being na?ve. Ramsey and Wilshere deep against top sides will not work, they are both too attack-minded. It's stupid to think that Flamini/Arteta out is not a problem, it is.

Agreed, you cant just look at every setback, there is always injuries/red cards what have you. What matters is we got 3 points and still top, flamini missing is huge against chealsea manu and liverpool but thats another problem
Yes, you can't get disheartened by every setback, but that doesn't mean you can be complacent and think it's nothing to worry about. You can't deny Flamini and Arteta are vital players to the team, and will be solely missed. If it was an attacking midfielder missing, Arsenal would be fine due to the depth there, but there's no defensive-minded deep-lying midfielders in the squad - which will be a big problem against big teams, as team balance will be vital.

Vermaelen at DM?

I'm inclined to remove all your posting rights for even mentioning it.

He's played there before for us, and as I said at Ajax he did. To be honest, I think he'd do pretty well there. He's got all the right attributes for it (Or atleast he did before he got injured)

I agree 100% with TheFalse9, Arteta and/or Flamini are key players in our team. Wilshere can't really tackle, like Rosicky he is aggressive and brave, but alot of the time he just dives in and gives away fouls. Ramsey is likes doing skills too much now to play at DM, he'd probably end up doing what he did against Dortmund again.

We're either gonna have to play without a DM - which I think will be a big mistake - or play someone out of position (I reckon Vermaelen could play there against Chelsea)

Then you're being na?ve. Ramsey and Wilshere deep against top sides will not work, they are both too attack-minded. It's stupid to think that Flamini/Arteta out is not a problem, it is.

Yes, you can't get disheartened by every setback, but that doesn't mean you can be complacent and think it's nothing to worry about. You can't deny Flamini and Arteta are vital players to the team, and will be solely missed. If it was an attacking midfielder missing, Arsenal would be fine due to the depth there, but there's no defensive-minded deep-lying midfielders in the squad - which will be a big problem against big teams, as team balance will be vital.

Dont put words in my mouth, son. I said Im not going to cry about arteta red card, part of the game. Ramsey can handle the dm role and jack can play the passer in the combo if it comes to it. Now run along chicken little, im not interested in getting into a debate over nothin.

Dont put words in my mouth, son. I said Im not going to cry about arteta red card, part of the game. Ramsey can handle the dm role and jack can play the passer in the combo if it comes to it. Now run along chicken little, im not interested in getting into a debate over nothin.
"Could not care less about the red card atm" - does this not suggest that you don't think it's anything to worry about? Ramsey as a holding midfielder? Don't make me laugh! That's like playing Terry upfront.

"Could not care less about the red card atm" - does this not suggest that you don't think it's anything to worry about? Ramsey as a holding midfielder? Don't make me laugh! That's like playing Terry upfront.

Only for one game though, and it's the capitol one cup which Arteta wouldn't of played in anyway.

Unsure how much Arsenal you watch, but for last season he played as one of the holding midfield positions in a 4-2-3-1 and did a decent job. Arsenal tend not to ever both with a dedicated DM, it's a comparatively recent thing to have one in the squad! He tends to play it a lot like Arteta plays DM though, and doesn't offer the steel of Flamini.

again, not going to argue with you. Ever since you've posted on this thread, you've looked to stir up ****.

There were multiple posts talking about arteta red card...I stated I couldn't care less about the incident, mostly because we won.

Move on.

Unsure how much Arsenal you watch, but for last season he played as one of the holding midfield positions in a 4-2-3-1 and did a decent job. Arsenal tend not to ever both with a dedicated DM, it's a comparatively recent thing to have one in the squad! He tends to play it a lot like Arteta plays DM though, and doesn't offer the steel of Flamini.
That's true, but a holding midfielder has largely benefited your defence this season - Ramsey may've played at DM last season, but on his current run of form, his mentality will largely be to attack.

again, not going to argue with you. Ever since you've posted on this thread, you've looked to stir up ****.

There were multiple posts talking about arteta red card...I stated I couldn't care less about the incident, mostly because we won.

Move on.
I'm looking to stir up ****? You've posted the most patronizing post in response to mine where I suggested you were being superficial (which you were).

Guys, put the handbags away. I think there's nothing wrong with a bit of sturdy counter-opinion, and I do agree the side will suffer without Flamini as he's experienced and has quality to him. It is hard to replace someone with that level of experience at protecting a back four, especially considering how forward our fullbacks play.

It might not be his best position, but Ramsey is decent at DM. He averages ~5 tackles per game, which is pretty good. If he play double pivot with Flamini or Arteta, I wouldn't be to much worried about him. His overall game has improved, he was always a clever player.

It might not be his best position, but Ramsey is decent at DM. He averages ~5 tackles per game, which is pretty good. If he play double pivot with Flamini or Arteta, I wouldn't be to much worried about him. His overall game has improved, he was always a clever player.

As you said he averages good amount of tackles, covers longer distances than most of the players and can spray passes from deep towards more forward players pretty well.

Jack has also shown that he can play there. He might not be 100% still, but he gives his all every game and I believe he will return to form in 6 months tops.

Might as well let Frimpong play in the COC.

And what's with the Lewandowski rumors again?