The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Beating the Saints after their start is a quality result, and it secures our place at the top of the table by 4 points.

Happy as Larry.

I'm extremely pleased with the result. But like against Dortmund, it was a great result, but a performance that didn't really deserve it (Although to be fair we could of been 2-0 if Wilshere and Ramsey's shots had been a few inches more to the right.)

I agree we were disappointing upfront, but let's not forget Saits only leaked 7 goals so far and we scored 2 of them...
Also I'm pleased with our back four, didn't get much cover from midfield but coped with everything S'oton created, especially Gibbs and Kos were great i think. And Szczesny deserves mention too, made few good saves.

Champions find ways to win, regardless of which sport or level.

I'll take it.

Also, kind of surprised nobody is cheering Giroud's work ethic. Few strikers would have attempted to bother the keeper, but he does it every game and he was rewarded with a prize.

Champions find ways to win, regardless of which sport or level.

I'll take it.

Also, kind of surprised nobody is cheering Giroud's work ethic. Few strikers would have attempted to bother the keeper, but he does it every game and he was rewarded with a prize.
I wouldn't use the word 'champions' to describe Arsenal just yet, unless it's in the context of the Champions League.

i didnt say wewerechampions..just pointing outthat inmy experience, champions pull out wins regardless of how poor they perform in a particular contest. Weve pulled wins out of our *** this year and thats a good sign considering it use to be the opposite.

Well, this is a fair point. Just look at United last year. Pretty **** all year in the league if you were to judge by performances alone, but at the end of the day kept pulling crazy wins in 95 minute and eventually won the league almost making all time point record.

i didnt say wewerechampions..just pointing outthat inmy experience, champions pull out wins regardless of how poor they perform in a particular contest. Weve pulled wins out of our *** this year and thats a good sign considering it use to be the opposite.
OK, fair enough then.

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk.

I'm pretty sure only the idiotic twitter tards are saying the side is champions! An interesting few weeks coming up:

Everton home Dec 8th
Napoli away Dec 11th
City away Dec 14th
Chelsea home Dec 23rd

I'm pretty sure only the idiotic twitter tards are saying the side is champions! An interesting few weeks coming up:

Everton home Dec 8th
Napoli away Dec 11th
City away Dec 14th
Chelsea home Dec 23rd
If Arsenal manage to get at least nine points out of those four games, then I will start considering them as a potential title challenger.

Honestly TF9, and don't take this the wrong way... but nobody gives a **** about the 'title challenger' talk.

You say 'at least nine points', yet I only see twelve points available. Even SAF, with his 59% win rate over the course of 1000 games, would on average be looking at 6-7 points from those games. Exactly where are you pulling these arbitrary points figures from?

This isn't the Spanish league where you need ridiculous points to win the league, what you need is not to concede point to rivals whilst you keep steamrolling the smaller teams and hope everybody else slips up on more banana skins than you.

Everton at home are a hard side to break down, Napoli away with Higuain and Hamsik can always pull something out of the bag, City at the Ethiad are ridiculously good at the moment and traditionally the side struggles with Chelsea - I'd expect a good result could be seen as 6 points from those games, with a draw to Napoli and Chelsea decent results, provided the City game doesn't run away from us.

Honestly TF9, and don't take this the wrong way... but nobody gives a **** about the 'title challenger' talk.

You say 'at least nine points', yet I only see twelve points available. Even SAF, with his 59% win rate over the course of 1000 games, would on average be looking at 6-7 points from those games. Exactly where are you pulling these arbitrary points figures from?

This isn't the Spanish league where you need ridiculous points to win the league, what you need is not to concede point to rivals whilst you keep steamrolling the smaller teams and hope everybody else slips up on more banana skins than you.

Everton at home are a hard side to break down, Napoli away with Higuain and Hamsik can always pull something out of the bag, City at the Ethiad are ridiculously good at the moment and traditionally the side struggles with Chelsea - I'd expect a good result could be seen as 6 points from those games, with a draw to Napoli and Chelsea decent results, provided the City game doesn't run away from us.
Arsenal've already beaten Napoli once this season, so they should be able to do it again; Everton are beatable, especially by an on-form Arsenal side and a win/two draws again Chelsea and City is achievable (I probably should've said 7/8 points, though). This is an Arsenal side who are on-form, with players like Walcott returning from injury as well, they look very impressive this season - 9 points is definitely achievable.

Sent from my iPod Touch using Tapatalk.

Oh I agree with you, but this whole "if they win the next x games against top opposition then I'll call them title challengers" thing seems ridiculous.

I think everyone said lets see how things go when we get to January and that'll be a good inclination of how things will hold up, especially considering that will include Everton, Chelsea and Newcastle - which other sides have all dropped points to

Walcott causes an interesting dilemma mind you, since Wilshere was already playing right wing at the weekend - and Ramsey is going to be forced to play right wing today, with Flamini and Arteta defending - which forces both Wilshere and Walcott on the bench. It will be interesting to see how Wenger manages his rotation, or if he just plays the same midfield every game as he has tendency to do. It is also going to be pretty disastrous for Gnabry.

Lets get a couple of goals more and sub off players for the weekend, can't do much about the Dortmund vs Napoli result (Reus just scored a pen).

I think Ramsey's chance was too close to the keeper, he had two options, an extremely close chip (incredibly hard) or just smack it, which the keeper got down to save.

Ramsey's skill to buy the pen was nice, but Ozil's penalty was awful. He definitely seems to lack confidence, and needs to step up a bit. He had a free kick middle of the D immediately after missing his pen, and other players would have taken it to "redeem" themselves, but he gives it to Ramsey.

Wilshere's 2nd goal was great, Ramsey into Ozil, across the 6 yard box for Wilshere. Impressed so far. 70% possession for a lot of the game, banging it around might give a bit more energy for the weekend's game. Good to see Wilshere having a good game (lot of interplay, good short passing), and to have Walcott back.

Also, Monreal has been fantastic, fantastic technique for a left back. Needs more minutes.

Last edited:
Back