The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Sorry that should read "busy". The thing is that FM Base is known for people coming to download stuff, for better or for worse. Personally I'm actually really keen to change that. But really that falls on Sean to decide. I also want to get rid of things like the frustration thread, its destructive and childish tbh.

Well, arguably 'frustrations' are exactly what you want in the forum, you want that tragedy of your team giving away a late pentalty and the anguish that causes in black and white, that frustration practically palatable from simply the text. I think the downloads thing converts people into those who are curious about football or those who are rather more about 'beating the game', though I am sure it'd be possible to find more of the former who are true fans of the game and of their club, and use FM as a way to 'be' Mourinho, or Moyes, just as you have military history fans who enjoy games involving knights and swordsmanship.

I didn't get the "main contributors are quite buys", but other than that obviously I'm not saying mammoth posts, but the odd interesting discussion needs contributors, otherwise it stifles and ends up being underwhelming. There is a fantastic kernel of (true) football fans here, obviously time is an issue for some although it certainly wouldn't prevent the odd post or three, though I was more concerned about finding some information on the clickthrough from the homepage, and whether it is possible to have a more prominent link available rather than being dumped at the bottom of the forums.

Sales data from Sega indicates almost 1,000,000 FM sales for the '13 release, so it'd be great to have a larger slice of that userbase who obviously enjoys tactical discussion and implementation of real football into this forum, though that is likely a staff issue more than purely about staff posting more, though it'd certainly be welcome.

p.s. I'm dumping it in this thread because during the international break this place is pretty dead, and I'd like to be able to preserve a little discussion without it dropping down the board.
This. Moving the section nearer the top, or in a separate tab - like 'Downloads' (you could have lots of tabs, instead of sections - like 'Football Manager', 'General Chat', 'Football', etc.), would greatly benefit it in terms of activity, I reckon.

Sorry that should read "busy". The thing is that FM Base is known for people coming to download stuff, for better or for worse. Personally I'm actually really keen to change that. But really that falls on Sean to decide. I also want to get rid of things like the frustration thread, its destructive and childish tbh.
If you get rid of the frustration thread, people will start posting their own frustration threads - there'll be millions of them!

how about fm base make a high quality skin or logo/facepack that way we get our name out which would increase visitors? a skin with our logo on home screen would be nice.

Who would make such fb or logo pack for FM Base? FM Base has only moderators/admins, and if they don't do it, no one will. I can give you perfect example because I'm admin on one FM forum. Unless moderators/admins do not start something, not many will. If this make sense. I'd hate to see FM base inactive, because FM Base is the first forum I've register to, but this is hardly inactive forum. But for 'older' guys like me, talking just about video game is dull, thus I expended part about sport a lot on 'my' forum. There's couple of guys who post news everyday about sport and activity is much better in those parts of forum. Also, general chat is boring here. There's no core of guys who would talk, joke or whatever. I think you still have channel for chat, can't recall its name.
Mike, yes, people moan and ***** about games. FM is getting more popular every game, so it's base is getting proportionaly (i hope this is a word) worse. They need to blow steam somewhere, and forum for FM is perfect for it. It's normal reaction to share both wins and loses. I have my problems with FM, and I've spoken to Rob about them. Not everyone can do that, so best you can do is tell people there's no conspiracy nor scripting. Let them discuss freely and just clean if they go out of bounds. I have a feeling I wrote so much but said so little, but **** it, it's 3AM here and please ignore my tapatalk sig, internal joke.

Sent from my **** on Roske's face

Getting back on topic, this reminded me while playing FM, we talked about RB problem, has anybody seen Bellerin or is he injured or something? Does he look good?

how about fm base make a high quality skin or logo/facepack that way we get our name out which would increase visitors? a skin with our logo on home screen would be nice.

I don't think there is any shortage of users on this site as a whole, it is more about directing those users to this forum, perhaps it is a lack of visibility problem is a labeling issue, at least that was my initial thinking. Facepacks do take a great deal of time mind you, but I understand the premise of advertising, though that would still just add to the 'come for downloads' demographic.

Getting back on topic, this reminded me while playing FM, we talked about RB problem, has anybody seen Bellerin or is he injured or something? Does he look good?

Seen him play about once, didn't see too much, although he's supposed to be more like a winger who plays at right back.

But it gives people somewhere to vent. If you don't let people release that pent up aggression somewhere, it's just going to leak out over unrelated topics. Should people's childish and irrational problems with the game be taken seriously and allowed to alter development or the overall tone of this forum? No, but that doesn't mean that people won't still have them. That's just a part of gaming and it's probably a better idea to give them somewhere to get it off their chests than to pretend it doesn't exist. 

It's not the visitors this site's lacking, though, it's the visitors that go to this section. Most of them either come for the downloads, or ask questions (like who the best players are in the game, etc.). Not many of them are interested in the site as a site, but more so as a resource. And plus, making a skin or logopack/facepack takes a lot of time and effort, and with so many out there already, there's no real point.

I don't think there is any shortage of users on this site as a whole, it is more about directing those users to this forum, perhaps it is a lack of visibility problem is a labeling issue, at least that was my initial thinking. Facepacks do take a great deal of time mind you, but I understand the premise of advertising, though that would still just add to the 'come for downloads' demographic.
Agreed. The problem is that people come to this site for the downloads, rather than for discussion.

I reckon that's bullshit - but if it's not, then that's one **** of a stupid man! And betting wives, seriously!? :P

Last edited:
Koscielny sent off...although giving up the peno, he appeared to be one of the few frenchmen to put up a good fight.

Szczesny signed till 2018, ?100k p/w. Lets hope he continues to show impressive form.

Agree with you when it comes to Koscielny, although there is a point when you have to say 'giving heart' is actually sloppy defending, considering the amount of penalties he gives away he really should sort that out. Players know they are good for a stiff challenge from him, and make the most of it (rightly so).

Szczesny signed till 2018, ?100k p/w. Lets hope he continues to show impressive form.

Agree with you when it comes to Koscielny, although there is a point when you have to say 'giving heart' is actually sloppy defending, considering the amount of penalties he gives away he really should sort that out. Players know they are good for a stiff challenge from him, and make the most of it (rightly so).
?100k p/w!? That's a lot for a goalkeeper - I'm not sure, but I'm guessing the likes of De Gea, Mignolet and Courtois aren't on that kind of money, right? Szczęsny's a top keeper, there's no doubt about that, but I think ?100k p/w's too much - especially for 'Wenger wages'!

And on the topic of Koscielny, he always seem to put in a good performance whenever I watch him, but he seems to be very prone to mistakes/stupidness. Was it a stupid penalty to concede, or not?

I'd say it's a good contract, PL revenue is exploding right now, as are Arsenal's sponsorships. I'd say having somebody tied up to 2017 on 100k is going to swiftly look like 'par for the course'.

And I do have a lot of time for Koscielny, he never seems to give up in any game he plays, always gets stuck in and never hides, but he does have concentration problems, it was yet another challenge he probably didn't need to make. He loves a spectacular sliding challenge/to push into other players.

I'd say it's a good contract, PL revenue is exploding right now, as are Arsenal's sponsorships. I'd say having somebody tied up to 2017 on 100k is going to swiftly look like 'par for the course'.

And I do have a lot of time for Koscielny, he never seems to give up in any game he plays, always gets stuck in and never hides, but he does have concentration problems, it was yet another challenge he probably didn't need to make. He loves a spectacular sliding challenge/to push into other players.
The thing is, I don't think Wenger really needed to tie down Szczęsny on a long-term contract - it's unlikely he was going to go anywhere anyway! However, I guess it guarantees Arsenal a good goalkeeper/a lot of money (if they decide to sell him). And on a side note, what's going on Viviano? Has he played in any games at all this season? Is he named on the bench for Premier League games?

The thing is, I don't think Wenger really needed to tie down Szczęsny on a long-term contract - it's unlikely he was going to go anywhere anyway! However, I guess it guarantees Arsenal a good goalkeeper/a lot of money (if they decide to sell him). And on a side note, what's going on Viviano? Has he played in any games at all this season? Is he named on the bench for Premier League games?

Ah see we thought the same thing of Alex Song. Boom, next thing you know he was gone after that one really good season when he set up all those assists for RvP! You never know what these players are thinking in their heads. 100k is a lot but Szczesny's looked marvelous this season.

Ah see we thought the same thing of Alex Song. Boom, next thing you know he was gone after that one really good season when he set up all those assists for RvP! You never know what these players are thinking in their heads. 100k is a lot but Szczesny's looked marvelous this season.

Song didn't want to leave, but Wenger wasn't impressed with his attitude and performances in pre-season

Not on the bench, Fabianski is improving (slowly) so he seems to still get that. I do agree it doesn't make much sense to sign Viv and not play him, but at least it gives squad depth. At a certain point you sign players because they "can do a job", not that you want them to.

viviano has been on bench most games over flappin fabs lately. woj needed some extra competition to push him on like he has.this.season

Song didn't want to leave, but Wenger wasn't impressed with his attitude and performances in pre-season
You say that like he wouldn't have left anyway - when Barcelona come calling, no-one in their right mind rejects them, least of all Song (and Wenger, for that matter). Even if he had had a great attitude in pre-season, he'd still have left for Bar?a sooner or later. That's not insulting Arsenal as a club, practically any player would move to Barcelona if they had the chance, especially back then, when they were still undoubtedly the best club in Europe.

Not on the bench, Fabianski is improving (slowly) so he seems to still get that. I do agree it doesn't make much sense to sign Viv and not play him, but at least it gives squad depth. At a certain point you sign players because they "can do a job", not that you want them to.
That's true, it's more of a psychological signing in the sense that it's supposed to push Szczęsny and to put the fans at ease with a capable back-up goalkeeper. Viviano is a good player, though, and he should get some game time this season.

viviano has been on bench most games over flappin fabs lately. woj needed some extra competition to push him on like he has.this.season
Actually, I just checked, Fabiański's been on the bench nearly every game so far this season, ahead of Viviano, apart from the League Cup games where he started.

Back