The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Confidence comes and goes for every player, even for the likes of Rooney and Gerrard...

In Ramseys case it's different considering what hes been through. He has already made mistakes this season, but he doesnt go hiding after them. That's a big reason why I have no worries about him.

Joel Campbell is having quite good season at Olympiakos. In last 7 games he has 5 goals and 8 assists. Hope he keeps it up and maybe has a chance with us next season.

I find it amazing how everyone was 'spend spend spend' during the summer, but at the end of the day current success is largely due to old players drastically improving basically overnight. Heh.

Lots of rumors doing the rounds that we'll take Morata on loan in January......wonder how much truth there is in them.

It seems Madrid have made him available for loan. Would make sense if we fail to get someone permanently in as it looks like Bendtner will be off in january.

Other rumour going around is that we are in for Pato.

I find it amazing how everyone was 'spend spend spend' during the summer, but at the end of the day current success is largely due to old players drastically improving basically overnight. Heh.

Yeah so many of the players have upped their game massively. Other than obvious Giroud and Ramsey, Szczesny has really upped his game and if you look at the stats his top goalkeeper in Prem at this form. Also Sagna seems like back in that BEAST form he was before those injuries and really deserves another deal.

Only problem is your lack of depth in all honesty ... A couple of injuries and your title challenge can easily fall apart. Not to mention that it's unlikely players like Giroud and Ramsey will maintain this beastly form throughout the season. Problems which can easily be rectified in January though ...

Only problem is your lack of depth in all honesty ... A couple of injuries and your title challenge can easily fall apart. Not to mention that it's unlikely players like Giroud and Ramsey will maintain this beastly form throughout the season. Problems which can easily be rectified in January though ...

I think our supposed lack of depth is bit overestimated. We've already had more injuries than any other top club in Prem and still managed the results. I think if one of Giroud, Sagna or Mertesacker were injured for long time I'd be worried, but otherwise not so much.

I think our supposed lack of depth is bit overestimated. We've already had more injuries than any other top club in Prem and still managed the results. I think if one of Giroud, Sagna or Mertesacker were injured for long time I'd be worried, but otherwise not so much.
Arsenal have brilliant depth in central and attacking midfield, but not really up front or in defence. Three centre-backs, no anchor men and only one proven striker is really worrying for a team who are aiming for a Top 4 spot. They have done well so far, though, despite a fair few injuries in midfield.

Arsenal have brilliant depth in central and attacking midfield, but not really up front or in defence. Three centre-backs, no anchor men and only one proven striker is really worrying for a team who are aiming for a Top 4 spot. They have done well so far, though, despite a fair few injuries in midfield.

CB:3 great CB's with Sagna who's done pretty well in every game played there. Not worried
LB: Gibbs and Monreal. I'd say we are best equipped in Prem.
RB: Sagna and Jenkinson. Bit of worry, but if it came to it Jenkinson only needs couple games to come good. Last season he terrorized City away which is good example what he can do when on form.
Anchor men? Well Arteta was best defensive midfielder in Prem last season and now we also have Flamini. Not worried at all.

Striker is only worry, but I think we could manage with either Podolski or Walcott up top for couple games if needed.

It's a tough one, I really think he could become fantastic, but he needs minutes. However we loan him out then lose somebody to injury again (Walcott, Wilshere, etc) and we could be shooting ourselves in the foot.

Regarding 'spend spend spend', the interesting thing is in most games Ozil seems to be double marked, which allows others to do something with that space. Considering even after the back to back Chelsea, Liverpool & Dortmund games... the final game of that quartet against Utd when half the XI were sick with flu and Mertersacker out - still managed to create a little and lost 0-1. I'm pretty confident going forwards, and whilst the wheels could still fall off, exactly where are we finding a top class RB/Striker from in January?

Perhaps throwing ?45m at Suarez would be a good laugh, considering Liverpool have a few injuries and a difficult month of games and are liable to fall down the table with Sturridge injured. Even throw in an extra ?1 ...

Better options seem to be Benzema, Pato on loan or Morata from Madrid, since Wenger and Ancelotti have a decent working relationship it seems. Jenkinson can "do a job", but agreed Bendtner would be a disaster if he had to play there for any length of time.

CB:3 great CB's with Sagna who's done pretty well in every game played there. Not worried
LB: Gibbs and Monreal. I'd say we are best equipped in Prem.
RB: Sagna and Jenkinson. Bit of worry, but if it came to it Jenkinson only needs couple games to come good. Last season he terrorized City away which is good example what he can do when on form.
Anchor men? Well Arteta was best defensive midfielder in Prem last season and now we also have Flamini. Not worried at all.

Striker is only worry, but I think we could manage with either Podolski or Walcott up top for couple games if needed.
Arsenal have two very good centre-backs, but Vermaelen is far from great (I'm not saying he's bad though, mind you). And I said no anchor men, I forgot about Flamini, although he's the only proven defensive-minded defensive midfielder in the squad (Arteta, Wilshere, etc. can play there, but they are much more about the passing and attacking than defending).

It's a tough one, I really think he could become fantastic, but he needs minutes. However we loan him out then lose somebody to injury again (Walcott, Wilshere, etc) and we could be shooting ourselves in the foot.

Regarding 'spend spend spend', the interesting thing is in most games Ozil seems to be double marked, which allows others to do something with that space. Considering even after the back to back Chelsea, Liverpool & Dortmund games... the final game of that quartet against Utd when half the XI were sick with flu and Mertersacker out - still managed to create a little and lost 0-1. I'm pretty confident going forwards, and whilst the wheels could still fall off, exactly where are we finding a top class RB/Striker from in January?

Perhaps throwing ?45m at Suarez would be a good laugh, considering Liverpool have a few injuries and a difficult month of games and are liable to fall down the table with Sturridge injured. Even throw in an extra ?1 ...

Better options seem to be Benzema, Pato on loan or Morata from Madrid, since Wenger and Ancelotti have a decent working relationship it seems. Jenkinson can "do a job", but agreed Bendtner would be a disaster if he had to play there for any length of time.
Gnabry could be loaned out with a recall clause? Morata on loan would be a brilliant deal for both parties, to be honest - he's a top player and would be more than sufficient backup/competition for Giroud. If he's signed, then Arsenal would have two very good strikers, which would fill the biggest hole in the squad (albeit only for half a season whilst Morata's there).

Considering we are getting both Ox and Poldi back by the time he'd be loaned I'd say we'd be quite covered.

Arsenal have two very good centre-backs, but Vermaelen is far from great (I'm not saying he's bad though, mind you). And I said no anchor men, I forgot about Flamini, although he's the only proven defensive-minded defensive midfielder in the squad (Arteta, Wilshere, etc. can play there, but they are much more about the passing and attacking than defending).

Gnabry could be loaned out with a recall clause? Morata on loan would be a brilliant deal for both parties, to be honest - he's a top player and would be more than sufficient backup/competition for Giroud. If he's signed, then Arsenal would have two very good strikers, which would fill the biggest hole in the squad (albeit only for half a season whilst Morata's there).

Vermaelen was pretty bad last season, but still he was considered one of the best in Prem only couple seasons ago. He's looked better this season when he was on, but still question mark over his form. People think Arteta's more to passing, but he averages quite high amount of tackles and interceptions. Also Ramsey has most tackles in Prem for this season...

I'd also like Morata if we can't get anyone permanently. Would allow us to shift Bendtner on permanently.

Problem with Vermaelen is he -can- be good, but he is a lot like Luiz, you never know what you will get - and against top sides he becomes a liability. The question is, are we going to sign a better CB who would be prepared to sit on the bench? Probably not. He's the best we can have at the moment, I'd say.

I do agree Ox and Podolski are both better options for the wing than Gnabry, perhaps Gnabry can do a job for five months at a premiership side which likes to stroke it about a bit, since he's certainly at that level and pretty physical.

Arteta is a decent DM, although he does slow our counter, which is something he's improving upon. Against top teams he tends to try to do too much and hold possession, and ironic often loses it in a difficult position, but he's undoubtedly a very strong player with a good range of passing. It appears Wenger is more about defending as a group this season mind you, instead of just sticking Arteta or Song at the back. Giroud helps hugely by his willingness to pressure defenders into a long ball, which Mertersacker adores.

Vermaelen was pretty bad last season, but still he was considered one of the best in Prem only couple seasons ago. He's looked better this season when he was on, but still question mark over his form. People think Arteta's more to passing, but he averages quite high amount of tackles and interceptions. Also Ramsey has most tackles in Prem for this season...

I'd also like Morata if we can't get anyone permanently. Would allow us to shift Bendtner on permanently.
Vermaelen did have a brilliant season where he was one of the best defenders in the league, but it turned out to be a run of brilliant form rather than a reflection of his ability. He's good cover, but he's not great by any means. Arteta and Ramsey may be able defensively, but that doesn't deter from the fact that they are not defensive-minded - which upsets the balance of the midfield a bit (if you don't have an enforcer like Flamini alongside them). Just look at Ramsey for example, he may be the best tackler in the league this year, but he's essentially playing as an attacking midfielder most of the time!

Vermaelen did have a brilliant season where he was one of the best defenders in the league, but it turned out to be a run of brilliant form rather than a reflection of his ability. He's good cover, but he's not great by any means. Arteta and Ramsey may be able defensively, but that doesn't deter from the fact that they are not defensive-minded - which upsets the balance of the midfield a bit (if you don't have an enforcer like Flamini alongside them). Just look at Ramsey for example, he may be the best tackler in the league this year, but he's essentially playing as an attacking midfielder most of the time!

I do agree about Vermaelen, he's club captain yet isn't getting a game at the moment. Koscielny is a top defender who has shown he can keep anyone in his pocket (though is prone to rash tackles), and Mertersacker is fantastic alongside him and compliments him well, Vermaelen seems to realise this, and if anything it seems he'd be of more use retrained as a backup DMC than anything else. Though at his age it is perhaps a little much to ask considering the competition in midfield.

I think the problem with defensively minded players, is that Wenger's tactics focus on forward thinking players with plenty of vision. You want the opposition on their back feet, marking your players instead of moving to find space yourself. The way Wenger wants the team to defend is with pressure, similar to Barca.. force the defenders into cocking up, win the ball back, and then focus on passing it through their lines. This has caused problems in the past due to the incompetence of centre backs and general defensive frailties, but it seems a lot more stable at the moment.

Flamini is massively effective at short passes, breaking up play and anticipating those balls, the same as Arteta - but the top possession sides need that DMC who just plays it simply, and is physical enough to not get bullied whilst also having no problems in possession. Flamini seems to be doing the 'Busquets' role at the moment, simple passes, bringing in his more talented teammates, and stabalising the defence .. Arteta does this a bit differently, but this unfortunately leaves him vulnerable to having a man on him, which is why high energy CFs/CAMs give him problems, see Rooney or Oscar.

We've been linked with Fabian Sch?r who I'd like to get. Also rumours going that Dortmund want Vermaelen as I think both Hummels and Subotic are out injured.

Ramsey wants to attack and score yes, but I'd say Arteta is very defensive-minded and if he's not defensive midfielder nowdays I don't know what he is. People can't seem to notice the difference between Arsenal Arteta and Everton Arteta.

We've been linked with Fabian Sch?r who I'd like to get. Also rumours going that Dortmund want Vermaelen as I think both Hummels and Subotic are out injured.

Ramsey wants to attack and score yes, but I'd say Arteta is very defensive-minded and if he's not defensive midfielder nowdays I don't know what he is. People can't seem to notice the difference between Arsenal Arteta and Everton Arteta.

Not seen much of Schar, but supposedly he's available for 3-5m, which would be peanuts considering he'd be a decent backup defender with CL group stage experience and only 21. There is, however, usually a saying when it comes to 'too good to be true' signings, they never happen.

Also, selling Vermaelen, the club captain? Mhm. He's on massive wages, and I'd agree the club could do with making money on him.. but would it be too destabalising?

Back