The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Not seen much of Schar, but supposedly he's available for 3-5m, which would be peanuts considering he'd be a decent backup defender with CL group stage experience and only 21. There is, however, usually a saying when it comes to 'too good to be true' signings, they never happen.

Also, selling Vermaelen, the club captain? Mhm. He's on massive wages, and I'd agree the club could do with making money on him.. but would it be too destabalising?

Yeah I personally would keep him until summer just not to destabilize things. Seems to be that half of Europe's after Schar so might be that wont happen.

I do agree about Vermaelen, he's club captain yet isn't getting a game at the moment. Koscielny is a top defender who has shown he can keep anyone in his pocket (though is prone to rash tackles), and Mertersacker is fantastic alongside him and compliments him well, Vermaelen seems to realise this, and if anything it seems he'd be of more use retrained as a backup DMC than anything else. Though at his age it is perhaps a little much to ask considering the competition in midfield.

I think the problem with defensively minded players, is that Wenger's tactics focus on forward thinking players with plenty of vision. You want the opposition on their back feet, marking your players instead of moving to find space yourself. The way Wenger wants the team to defend is with pressure, similar to Barca.. force the defenders into cocking up, win the ball back, and then focus on passing it through their lines. This has caused problems in the past due to the incompetence of centre backs and general defensive frailties, but it seems a lot more stable at the moment.

Flamini is massively effective at short passes, breaking up play and anticipating those balls, the same as Arteta - but the top possession sides need that DMC who just plays it simply, and is physical enough to not get bullied whilst also having no problems in possession. Flamini seems to be doing the 'Busquets' role at the moment, simple passes, bringing in his more talented teammates, and stabalising the defence .. Arteta does this a bit differently, but this unfortunately leaves him vulnerable to having a man on him, which is why high energy CFs/CAMs give him problems, see Rooney or Oscar.
I agree, Flamini's playing the role very effectively at the moment, but he needs some cover. Him and Arteta are a good partnership, but if he's injured, then there's no-one to do the dirty work in midfield. Arteta doesn't have the strength and the likes of Ramsey and Wilshere are too attacking-minded (they don't really have the strength either, to be honest). That's why Arsenal need someone to challenge/be backup to Flamini as the enforcer in midfield.

We've been linked with Fabian Sch?r who I'd like to get. Also rumours going that Dortmund want Vermaelen as I think both Hummels and Subotic are out injured.

Ramsey wants to attack and score yes, but I'd say Arteta is very defensive-minded and if he's not defensive midfielder nowdays I don't know what he is. People can't seem to notice the difference between Arsenal Arteta and Everton Arteta.
He's not as defensive-minded as most defensive midfielders, though. He's essentially a deep-lying playmaker, and although they do defend, their main job is to distribute the ball from deep. When I said defensive-minded midfielder, I mean an aggressive enforcer like Flamini, who could play alongside Flamini.

We arn't going to be able to sign anyone who can do the job. How many squads have top quality players lined up three deep in each position?

In the DM slot, in tough games I'd prefer Flamini then Arteta can play the role very well (he did so all last season), then we can just drop into Wilshere/Ramsey playing deeper and Cazorla/Ozil/Walcott across the attacking positions.

Remember if you're talking about a decent DM which would add to the squad, you're probably looking at 10-15m, then perhaps 15m on wages over 4 years. I'd much rather ***** that 25-30m on a new striker in January and a skilful, speedy right back.

We seem to have gone from 'one man team' in RVP, to 'one man team' in Giroud, and now we're on to 'one man team' in Flamini. We can't buy everyone, we don't have a sugar daddy ******* a stream of gold into our laps whenever we make a poor purchase - it has to be spent wisely as we won't get the money again. I was hoping for someone like Capoue, but he seems to be pretty **** at Spurs. We will get Coquelin back from loan at the end of the season, perhaps he'd be good enough - but until then I hope Flamini is taking his vitamin pills and isn't going to get sick any time soon.

Last edited:
Given all this talk about a new DM, why not just try a cheeky bid for Matuidi in January considering he's out of contract at the end of the season. It's highly unlikely to happen but hey so was the thought of Mesut Ozil joining us.

Michael *** made the argument that Flamini is perfect for Arsenal, not because Arsenal always need a midfield enforcer, but because when they do he's the perfect player for it. Against most sides, Arteta's fine and does a good job as a destroyer but also is quite progressive in possession, which helps Arsenal break down teams. Flamini, on the other hand, isn't as good a technician but he's a purer destroyer, and works well against bigger sides.

As such, it could be argued that Arsenal don't need more defensive midfield cover since they have both bases covered. It's just bad luck both were unavailable at the same time, but I do wonder why Arsene isn't giving Frimpong a few tries on the bench.

We arn't going to be able to sign anyone who can do the job. How many squads have top quality players lined up three deep in each position?

In the DM slot, in tough games I'd prefer Flamini then Arteta can play the role very well (he did so all last season), then we can just drop into Wilshere/Ramsey playing deeper and Cazorla/Ozil/Walcott across the attacking positions.

Remember if you're talking about a decent DM which would add to the squad, you're probably looking at 10-15m, then perhaps 15m on wages over 4 years. I'd much rather ***** that 25-30m on a new striker in January and a skilful, speedy right back.

We seem to have gone from 'one man team' in RVP, to 'one man team' in Giroud, and now we're on to 'one man team' in Flamini. We can't buy everyone, we don't have a sugar daddy ******* a stream of gold into our laps whenever we make a poor purchase - it has to be spent wisely as we won't get the money again. I was hoping for someone like Capoue, but he seems to be pretty **** at Spurs. We will get Coquelin back from loan at the end of the season, perhaps he'd be good enough - but until then I hope Flamini is taking his vitamin pills and isn't going to get sick any time soon.
Calm your beans, I wasn't saying anything about a 'one man team'! It's not about whether they are top quality or not - Flamini himself isn't a 'top quality' player, but he's very good for the system. The backup to him, Coquelin, isn't good enough at the moment, so perhaps buying an ageing defensive midfielder would be decent business, if you can get him for cheap. You don't need a top quality backup, just one who is proven at this level who won't cost too much.

Michael *** made the argument that Flamini is perfect for Arsenal, not because Arsenal always need a midfield enforcer, but because when they do he's the perfect player for it. Against most sides, Arteta's fine and does a good job as a destroyer but also is quite progressive in possession, which helps Arsenal break down teams. Flamini, on the other hand, isn't as good a technician but he's a purer destroyer, and works well against bigger sides.

As such, it could be argued that Arsenal don't need more defensive midfield cover since they have both bases covered. It's just bad luck both were unavailable at the same time, but I do wonder why Arsene isn't giving Frimpong a few tries on the bench.

Regarding Frimpong:

[Frimpong] http://www.mirror.co.uk/all-about/emmanuel frimpongwas asked on Twitter why he is not in the squad for Tuesday night's game against Chelsea. He responded first with a joke, posting: "Lol, I wanna laugh."

He then Tweeted: "Sometimes I wish I was white and English. #realtalk."

He was warned for this and his nonsense "frimponged!" ****, but he seems to not have the ability to play a possession game and was pretty average when he went out on loan.

I'd expect him replaced by a better talent tbh, he seems too hot headed and sells himself in tackles too easily.

Arteta doesn't have the strength and the likes of Ramsey and Wilshere are too attacking-minded (they don't really have the strength either, to be honest). That's why Arsenal need someone to challenge/be backup to Flamini as the enforcer in midfield.

Ramsey is much more powerful then he seems. You obviously didn't see friendly against City in Helsinki where he send Yaya Toure flying like he was build like Jesus Navas.

Calm your beans, I wasn't saying anything about a 'one man team'! It's not about whether they are top quality or not - Flamini himself isn't a 'top quality' player, but he's very good for the system. The backup to him, Coquelin, isn't good enough at the moment, so perhaps buying an ageing defensive midfielder would be decent business, if you can get him for cheap. You don't need a top quality backup, just one who is proven at this level who won't cost too much.

No, I wasn't suggestion the "one man team" thing came from you, just this idea that one player becomes injured the and whole system falls apart. We have already have injuries to Koscielny, Rosicky, Podolski, Walcott, Cazorla, Arteta and Wilshere - all first XI players, and still managed pretty decently. I'd say Flamini has what you need for someone in that position, experience. Technically he knows his limitations, and he is a quick passer of the ball.

As has been said in the previous post, Flamini won't need to play a lot of games of Arteta is able to drop into that spot and distribute very well in those games where he could do with a rest. He frequently played the 'Carrick role', and ended up many games with 95%+ pass completion and 100+ passes. I really don't see the point signing someone else, Wenger has never done this - he seems committed to signing players who will improve the first team.

I'd personally like to blow a load of money on Reus, as I can't see Wenger picking up Benzema, unless the rumour that he was good friends with Ozil and wants to rekindle that partnership would help force through a move.

Regarding Frimpong:

[Frimpong] was asked on Twitter why he is not in the squad for Tuesday night's game against Chelsea. He responded first with a joke, posting: "Lol, I wanna laugh."

He then Tweeted: "Sometimes I wish I was white and English. #realtalk."

He was warned for this and his nonsense "frimponged!" ****, but he seems to not have the ability to play a possession game and was pretty average when he went out on loan.

I'd expect him replaced by a better talent tbh, he seems too hot headed and sells himself in tackles too easily.

I think he's a very talented player. He's got the frame for it, positionally he's good (which usually has to be learned, but he has a knack for it) and he's a decent technician. If nothing else, he won't get better doing nothing. A few minutes here and there would do him the world of good.

I think he's a very talented player. He's got the frame for it, positionally he's good (which usually has to be learned, but he has a knack for it) and he's a decent technician. If nothing else, he won't get better doing nothing. A few minutes here and there would do him the world of good.

With better attitude and bit of luck with injuries he could have made it with us. I think he should look to move on in january as I think if he can keep himself fit he can make it in Prem.

Ramsey is much more powerful then he seems. You obviously didn't see friendly against City in Helsinki where he send Yaya Toure flying like he was build like Jesus Navas.
I have to admit, I didn't see that - but surely that's pretty much a one-off event? He's not likely to knock Tour? off the ball every week, is he? He's not exactly weak, but he's not quite Mascherano, is he?

No, I wasn't suggestion the "one man team" thing came from you, just this idea that one player becomes injured the and whole system falls apart. We have already have injuries to Koscielny, Rosicky, Podolski, Walcott, Cazorla, Arteta and Wilshere - all first XI players, and still managed pretty decently. I'd say Flamini has what you need for someone in that position, experience. Technically he knows his limitations, and he is a quick passer of the ball.

As has been said in the previous post, Flamini won't need to play a lot of games of Arteta is able to drop into that spot and distribute very well in those games where he could do with a rest. He frequently played the 'Carrick role', and ended up many games with 95%+ pass completion and 100+ passes. I really don't see the point signing someone else, Wenger has never done this - he seems committed to signing players who will improve the first team.

I'd personally like to blow a load of money on Reus, as I can't see Wenger picking up Benzema, unless the rumour that he was good friends with Ozil and wants to rekindle that partnership would help force through a move.
Benzema seems to have finally found his feet at Madrid, so it's unlikely he'll want to leave. Reus would cost almost as much, though, considering he's at Dortmund with four years left on his contract (although apparently there's a release clause).

Everyone linking Reus with a move has forgotten that he's a Dortmund supporter and has no desire to move as it is.

Everyone linking Reus with a move has forgotten that he's a Dortmund supporter and has no desire to move as it is.

I was gauging it from this quote, attributed to Reus:
[h=5]"l think everyone has their favourite club. I always a fan of Arsenal, because l appreciate their style of play."[/h]

Yeah. You know the reason why he began liking Arsenal? His favourite Dortmund player, Tomas Rosicky, moved there. ;)

He's Dortmund through and through. Given Dortmund reached the final of the CL last year Arsenal wouldn't exactly be a step up either. It's rather wishful thinking.

Oh I agree with you, then again, if anyone told me we'd sign Ozil from RM I'd have laughed at them a year ago. Why take that step down? I'd say if anything will happen, it'll be in the summer, but I do agree with the World Cup coming up there is no need to destabalise their playing environments in the meantime.

I was gauging it from this quote, attributed to Reus:
I've searched for that quote, but I can't find it on any reliable news site (only Arsenal fan pages/sites and the like). I know he did say he admired Rosick?, and that he thought Wilshere was a top player, but I'm really starting to think the Arsenal quote is either bullshit or exaggerated.

Yeah. You know the reason why he began liking Arsenal? His favourite Dortmund player, Tomas Rosicky, moved there. ;)

He's Dortmund through and through. Given Dortmund reached the final of the CL last year Arsenal wouldn't exactly be a step up either. It's rather wishful thinking.
Exactly. Even if Ars?ne were to splash out on him (possible, but highly unlikely), then it would be unlikely he'd want to join, unless Arsenal could offer him something Dortmund couldn't.

Apparently the deal for Morata's loan move is done. He'll join us as soon as the January window opens. And we've had a bid rejected for Pato.

Apparently the deal for Morata's loan move is done. He'll join us as soon as the January window opens. And we've had a bid rejected for Pato.

Hmm, pinch of salt, I've heard Morata is a top player and he looks alright on the youtube, but then again Fergie bought Bebe from a skill/play DVD so lets not make that mistake. ..

It seems a little bit optimistic to go from Giroud to a promising youngster who we need to give back to RM anyway, it doesn't seem like Wenger's style at all. Supposedly Wenger came out yesterday in his press conference and said there was no truth in the Morata or Pato stories.

Would Bendtner really give us that much less than Morata? His attitude is ****, agreed, but we already have a promising young striker (Sanogo) who is not far off fit. I'd much prefer to burn some proper money on a top player and see if we can turn Suarez's head again or try to swap Podolski since the lad needs first team football and is hardly likely to be reliably in the side ahead of Wilshere/Cazorla.

Back