The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Hmm, pinch of salt, I've heard Morata is a top player and he looks alright on the youtube, but then again Fergie bought Bebe from a skill/play DVD so lets not make that mistake. ..

It seems a little bit optimistic to go from Giroud to a promising youngster who we need to give back to RM anyway, it doesn't seem like Wenger's style at all. Supposedly Wenger came out yesterday in his press conference and said there was no truth in the Morata or Pato stories.

Would Bendtner really give us that much less than Morata? His attitude is ****, agreed, but we already have a promising young striker (Sanogo) who is not far off fit. I'd much prefer to burn some proper money on a top player and see if we can turn Suarez's head again or try to swap Podolski since the lad needs first team football and is hardly likely to be reliably in the side ahead of Wilshere/Cazorla.
Just look at his goalscoring record for Spain (and to a certain extent, Real Madrid) - it's outstanding! B?b? hadn't played a game in the Portuguese top flight when Fergie signed him, so that's completely different. If I recall correctly, Morata was was the player of the tournament for the Under-20s World Cup.

And seriously, Bendtner ahead of him!? He wasn't good enough to break into the Juventus team when they hardly had any good strikers, yet you'd prefer him ahead of Morata, who's managed to get more than a dozen games for Real Madrid? And surely having someone like Morata in temporarily, for a cheap loan, would be great in the meantime while Wenger looks for permanent targets for the summer? That way, he wouldn't have to panic-buy for inflated prices in January, and would probably end up saving money in the long run.

It seems a little bit optimistic to go from Giroud to a promising youngster who we need to give back to RM anyway, it doesn't seem like Wenger's style at all. Supposedly Wenger came out yesterday in his press conference and said there was no truth in the Morata or Pato stories.

Would Bendtner really give us that much less than Morata? His attitude is ****, agreed, but we already have a promising young striker (Sanogo) who is not far off fit. I'd much prefer to burn some proper money on a top player and see if we can turn Suarez's head again or try to swap Podolski since the lad needs first team football and is hardly likely to be reliably in the side ahead of Wilshere/Cazorla.

By the way Wenger said it Pato is never going to happen and Morata isn't happening at least not right now. He said in same interview that Sanogo's coming back in january and he will use him then.

My point is, Wenger has discounted it, and it is -very unlike- him to sign any young talent on loan without an option to buy later. It doesn't seem like a Wenger style signing. He wanted to grab Ba from Chelsea but Mou pulled the plug on the transfer, he seems to want someone who can go up top and can help play in other players and has a decent finish... The current team needs the striker to act as a pivot to get other players into the game, and I'd be unsure how well Morata could do at that since I've only seen him bang goals in.

Bendtner, for all his useless shots at goal, actually isn't bad physically and knows how the side plays. That said, Wenger does want Bendtner out, so perhaps he might break his old habits and actually make provision for a replacement.

By the way Wenger said it Pato is never going to happen and Morata isn't happening at least not right now. He said in same interview that Sanogo's coming back in january and he will use him then.
Sanogo's a promising young player, I'd like to see him given the chance to impress!

My point is, Wenger has discounted it, and it is -very unlike- him to sign any young talent on loan without an option to buy later. It doesn't seem like a Wenger style signing. He wanted to grab Ba from Chelsea but Mou pulled the plug on the transfer, he seems to want someone who can go up top and can help play in other players and has a decent finish... The current team needs the striker to act as a pivot to get other players into the game, and I'd be unsure how well Morata could do at that since I've only seen him bang goals in.

Bendtner, for all his useless shots at goal, actually isn't bad physically and knows how the side plays. That said, Wenger does want Bendtner out, so perhaps he might break his old habits and actually make provision for a replacement.
I guess maybe it's not a Wenger-esque signing, but then ?zil wasn't, either. I do see your point, although I don't think Bendtner offers much, so it's better to get rid of him. Yes, he can link up with other players and hold up the ball fairly well, but he's really not good enough for a top Premier League side!

Quite heavy rotation: Szczesny, Jenko, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Flamini, Ramsey, Rosicky, ?zil, Cazorla and Bendtner starting today. Fabianski, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Walcott and Giroud on bench.

Quite heavy rotation: Szczesny, Jenko, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Monreal, Flamini, Ramsey, Rosicky, ?zil, Cazorla and Bendtner starting today. Fabianski, Vermaelen, Gibbs, Arteta, Wilshere, Walcott and Giroud on bench.

Woj
Jenkinson, Mertswagger, Koscielny, Monreal
Flamini, Ramsey
Rosicky, Oezil, Cazorla
Bendtner​

With the exception of Bendtner, it's quite the team. Shows how far your squad depth has come.

Woj
Jenkinson, Mertswagger, Koscielny, Monreal
Flamini, Ramsey
Rosicky, Oezil, Cazorla
Bendtner​

With the exception of Bendtner, it's quite the team. Shows how far your squad depth has come.

May be Great Dane's last game at the club. Hope he scores. Expected Walcott to start on right, but wont mind to see Rozza.

Yeah, I was going to edit my post to say that I'd only seen one story saying a deal was done for Morata, while the rest were on Wenger apparently "distancing" himself from Morata. Not sure why he'd want to distance himself from anything, particularly a promising young striker, but having only seen only about twenty minutes of Sanogo in pre-season, I guess it's too soon to pass judgement on him.

Last edited:
Stunning start. Jenko great assist and Great Dane scoring. TGSTEL

iHrZsq4tbwaVX.gif

Is that a Jenko cross as well? Top, top goal, fair play to Bendtner - practically everyone (including me) doubted him, but maybe he still has a future at Arsenal.

Yeah.

Not long future though. Until summer at tops.

Last edited:
Just shame we can't defend... oh 1 conceded in last 7 games? Best defence in league...

Had to keep energy levels tonight, midfield played very well, Kos and Mert once again solid, and the attackers put in a good shift with Bendtner doing what he had to do, whilst letting Giroud preserving energy for later.

Just shame we can't defend... oh 1 conceded in last 7 games? Best defence in league...
I would take the doubters with a pinch of salt, to be honest, although I wouldn't get too carried away...it's still early in the season!

I would take the doubters with a pinch of salt, to be honest, although I wouldn't get too carried away...it's still early in the season!

It comes with the territory so to speak and yeah perhaps most important games coming now in quick succession. After christmas will be much clearer.

It comes with the territory so to speak and yeah perhaps most important games coming now in quick succession. After christmas will be much clearer.
To be honest, Arsenal've already overcome many hurdles which others had said they wouldn't, so it's not delusional to think that they could win the title, but it's just too early to see for sure. It would be the same with United, City or Chelsea.

Well, City were beaten pre season, but they are on great form and outstanding at home. Toure and Aguero will cause problems.. I think to get something from that or Chelsea would be remarkable.

Back