The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Got to say that Napoli deserve it, by far the better team. Another game where we have failed to really impose ourself. That's 6 of the past 9 matches where we haven't deserved to win (IMO). Need to sort it out before we start to suffer.

Oh and Dortmund have just scored, meaning we're now 2nd.
Sometimes even the best of teams have to scrape wins, although I do see your point about sorting it out before the poor performances turn into poor results.

**** this.......we'll end up in second.....**** it.
As I said, it'll still be a very good achievement to finish 2nd in this group.

Deserved tbh, team didn't turn up in the second half.

Arteta was terrible, he absolutely has got to stop dribbling himself into trouble; as was Rosicky, who ran and ran but was ineffective. Napoli were pressing well, but the midfield didn't link properly with attack, and Flamini seemed to be stifled by Arteta and often seemed to be stepping on each others' toes.

I was confident after the first half, but the 2nd was overall poor.

Perhaps the side can pick themselves up after Flamini shouts at them in the changing rooms:)

We are really struggling at the moment. We struggle to create chances, and when we do make the odd chance we can't put it away. We need to get more players in the attacking third, and take Arteta out of the team. He was poor before he got sent off, and stops us getting the ball forward.

Sometimes even the best of teams have to scrape wins, although I do see your point about sorting it out before the poor performances turn into poor results.

As I said, it'll still be a very good achievement to finish 2nd in this group.

Oh I do agree, but holding out for a draw wouldn't have been that difficult considering at the end of the game Napoli had to push for 3 goals to win with Dortmund winning. With XI players you just drop back, hold the ball and be competitive. It seems a few of the players had the idea you just needed to turn up tonight.

Lastly though, PSG, Real, etc .. the top teams in this half of the draw are very hard indeed, and I'd have rather they were knocked out earlier without adding another difficult fixture. Deserved score for the performance, pick it up for the game at the weekend tbh.

We are really struggling at the moment. We struggle to create chances, and when we do make the odd chance we can't put it away. We need to get more players in the attacking third, and take Arteta out of the team. He was poor before he got sent off, and stops us getting the ball forward.

We lacked Walcott again today as we did against Everton. He needs to start against City.

Pretty lucky to still be in CL.

I do agree, but the job was done by the last game, all the team had to do was get over the finish line. Need to find out why the team didn't perform, as there were too many passengers tonight.

Also regarding Walcott, the side needs better balance on the right, where Rosicky played, and neither Cazorla or Rosicky had any happening whatsoever. Considering the side went down to ten men, I'd take that result and getting into the next round.

Once again though, not making it easy for ourselves.

We can't get Schalke because they finsihed 2nd.

The best we could hope for is Atletico, which even then I am not sure we'd be favourites for.

Only real side you'll be favourites against is Atletico and that is a very hard match with them looking very good this season

Poor display tonight really could cost you in the Champions League

We're a long way from a CL.

I'd prefer just fixing the issues. I'll take a loss at City, but need to get Walcott back into the game as the CMs on the wing arnt in good form, which in turn puts others under pressure.

OK putting that game away behind us, anybody else think that Arteta has been quite terrible for quite some time now? From what I remember he was good against liverpool but thats it, even when we've played well his constant sideway passing stall attacks and we are stuck passing it around in the midfield

Well, he is good at controlling against poor teams - the problem is that the way the team is set up, you need your DM to play simple passes and be excellent under pressure. Busquets is a fantastic example of this, and is one of the most important players in Barca because of this. Always knows where he is going to be pressured, quick feet, and plays it simply into another midfielder.

The amount of effort the entire teams wastes running back to defend against misplaced passes means it is counter productive for the entire team to bomb forward at once, it actually -reduces- the options for the player with the ball, because his only option is then backwards to his centrebacks or a risky pass forward.

Arsenal: Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or
Barcelona

Chelsea: Bayer Leverkusen, Galatasaray, Olympiacos, Zenit St
Petersburg or AC Milan

Manchester City: Real Madrid, PSG, Borussia Dortmund,
Atletico Madrid or Barcelona

Manchester United: Galatasaray, Olympiakos, Schalke, Zenit
St Petersburg or AC Milan

Well, he is good at controlling against poor teams - the problem is that the way the team is set up, you need your DM to play simple passes and be excellent under pressure. Busquets is a fantastic example of this, and is one of the most important players in Barca because of this. Always knows where he is going to be pressured, quick feet, and plays it simply into another midfielder.

The amount of effort the entire teams wastes running back to defend against misplaced passes means it is counter productive for the entire team to bomb forward at once, it actually -reduces- the options for the player with the ball, because his only option is then backwards to his centrebacks or a risky pass forward.

Exactly hes really been only good against poor teams, whenever we play somebody good and we need counterattacks to happen quickly he slows it down way too much

Arsenal: Real Madrid, PSG, Bayern Munich, Atletico Madrid or
Barcelona

Chelsea: Bayer Leverkusen, Galatasaray, Olympiacos, Zenit St
Petersburg or AC Milan

Manchester City: Real Madrid, PSG, Borussia Dortmund,
Atletico Madrid or Barcelona

Manchester United: Galatasaray, Olympiakos, Schalke, Zenit
St Petersburg or AC Milan
Arsenal and City are effectively out, then, bar a miracle. Chelsea and United look like they have potentially easy draws, although complacency may be a problem against the 'lesser teams' in the competition.

Back