The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
I think that Sagna was only good player. Vermaelen and usually pretty solid Monreal were both really poor. Mistake from Wenger really though as he could have countered Martinez with a single move to back three and moving Monreal up the field, but it's easy to say now. Everton still were better in every possible way.

Cazorla played quite well, but Vermaelen kept being dragged out of position by Naismith's clever positioning and his own impetuousness, while Monreal had to deal with Romelu Lukaku, a matchup that isn't entirely fair.

Wenger hasn't played a back three in... maybe ever. Like I said, he's a bit tactically inflexible. Martinez exposed that.

but he has still been below par for most of the campaign. If he really wants to go in summer won't mind it if we get solid replacement.

He has been below par, albeit not for that match which was the point. I do wonder who you could get as a replacement. If he goes and you don't get fourth then you're going to be in trouble.

Cazorla played quite well, but Vermaelen kept being dragged out of position by Naismith's clever positioning and his own impetuousness, while Monreal had to deal with Romelu Lukaku, a matchup that isn't entirely fair.

Wenger hasn't played a back three in... maybe ever. Like I said, he's a bit tactically inflexible. Martinez exposed that.

He has been below par, albeit not for that match which was the point. I do wonder who you could get as a replacement. If he goes and you don't get fourth then you're going to be in trouble.

He has couple times, but mainly just to protect the lead for some minutes at the end. Big problem with Wenger is that he can't change during matches and that's just lack of preparation for different scenarios. Though I doubt anyone could see that move by Martinez which was brilliant.

Griezmann or Draxler maybe. El Shaarawy could also bring some directness, but his injury problems are worrying. He'd probably die if he joined us. Edit: Also forgot about Calhanoglu who has been linked heavily lately.

I have strong feeling that we will still get fourth as we have considerably easier run and everyone except Theo back in training or close.

Last edited:
Do team qualify for the Champions League by winning the Europa League? If so, that could be a good way of qualifying next season, whilst also winning a trophy.

From next season [I think] both Europa league & CL winners will get automatic qualification to the Champions League [with a maximum of 5 per country].

This is making me completely open to the idea of letting van Persie come back.
I mean, honestly, how on Earth are we losing?

This is making me completely open to the idea of letting van Persie come back.
I mean, honestly, how on Earth are we losing?

Our striker up front for 3/4 of the game has scored 0 goals this season.

I really do not understand how Wenger thinks not starting our top scorer is a good idea in such a game.

Our striker up front for 3/4 of the game has scored 0 goals this season.

I really do not understand how Wenger thinks not starting our top scorer is a good idea in such a game.

Odd decision also to take Podolski off instead of Sanogo. Poldi cant handle being alone up top but as two man attack he's been quite good in his career.

Odd decision also to take Podolski off instead of Sanogo. Poldi cant handle being alone up top but as two man attack he's been quite good in his career.

I personally feel like substitutions was never one of Wenger's greatest strengths, hahaha.

I personally feel like substitutions was never one of Wenger's greatest strengths, hahaha.

Yeah, though most of the times we havent had a decent bench or even couple players there who you could think capable of changing the game.

**** yes!. Took longer than expected, but managed it still. Very good penalties from all four and good saves from Fabs.

Personally think the celebrations are a tad OTT at this stage just a bit premature but fair play to Arsenal.

Personally think the celebrations are a tad OTT at this stage just a bit premature but fair play to Arsenal.

I think it's more like relief from people after yet again pretty stale performance and Wigan are not easy as they've shown against City. Still lot to do to be able to lift the trophy.

I think it's more like relief from people after yet again pretty stale performance and Wigan are not easy as they've shown against City. Still lot to do to be able to lift the trophy.
Now Arsenal have seen how much of a fight lower-league teams can put up, I hope they don't underestimate whoever they face in the final. The only problem with a win like this (apart from the stress that comes with it) is fatigue, and with a lot of first-teamers on the pitch today, you could struggle against West Ham on Tuesday. Good win, though, against tricky opposition!

Went to the game. It was SOO tense but we won which is the most important thing!

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Now Arsenal have seen how much of a fight lower-league teams can put up, I hope they don't underestimate whoever they face in the final. The only problem with a win like this (apart from the stress that comes with it) is fatigue, and with a lot of first-teamers on the pitch today, you could struggle against West Ham on Tuesday. Good win, though, against tricky opposition!

I think that Final against Birmingham eventhough they were at a time still Prem outfit is still in fresh memory for many players.

Some of the players gave everything to the field today like Ox.

Game against West Ham will be tough, but I have strong feeling that we can take this positive feeling from getting into a final into the game and take all 3 points. Also couple of players like Ozil, Wilshere and Koscielny should return to the squad for that game eventhough they are unlikely to start.

Ever since Fabs decided to leave he's been a beast. Wenger should just keep signing him on 12 month contract so he 'leaves' every year.

Back