The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Arsenal have no plans to sign another striker this summer, insists boss Arsene Wenger - Mirror Online

If it wasn't obvious already due to him being close to signing for Liverpool, our interest in Remy has gone cold and it doesn't look like it will be reignited. Also Khedira has been offered to Monaco, but we're back in for Bender.

Good calls by Wenger, even if he's only staying 2-3 years, he can't bring himself to **** up the club by spending hand-over-fist for a short term push. Remy isn't worth it considering we now have Campbell and Sanogo. I'd prefer a bit more quality if it becomes available, though would prefer saving that money for when a truly fantastic forward comes on the market so he can lead the line for a few years. Same logic as Khedira, yes, he's a great player, but smashing the wage pool for him is short sighted.

Wenger has also talked about the possibility of playing 4-4-2 in some games, which perhaps is the future of players such as Campbell and Podolski, as otherwise I can see them having very limited opportunities.

Many question marks would be on the future of Jenkinson, Cazorla, Arteta, Vermaelen & Gnabry.

From all the links to another right back, and the Manquillo link, it seems perhaps it's make or break for Jenkinson - he'd thrive elsewhere no doubt given regular enough action. Cazorla gets pushed behind Sanchez and presumably Podolski, plus he has lost his favoured position for us which Ozil plays in - and at 30 it's going to be the last time we can sell him off whilst he's still good enough for leading teams. Arteta is in the last year of his contract then presumably would make a good coach, and Vermaelen needs to lose the captaincy and move on for the sake of the squad - his confidence and self assurance seems shot, could pick up a much better third choice such as Schar. Gnabry, unfortunately, really does need some loan time - think he could be fantastic at a top-10 club, maybe even Everton under Martinez? Unfortunately I can't see him going anywhere.

I'd rather Martinez than Balo.

The fees are pretty ridiculous mind you, I do understand the need for a 'top striker', but provided Giroud gets some more rest next season I don't see his role as making up the numbers at all. The more movement around him the better he ends up looking, and whilst his finishing is never going to be as clinical as Ronaldo, I doubt we can do much better in the current window. I'd prefer using Campbell's strength and letting him improve and develop. Especially considering Martinez was quoted as being upwards of £35m and plays in a pretty poor league by comparison.

Risky business to go after Balotelli. I mean, that guy is like living in a parallel universe or something. After Opsina, guess we'll be after a CDM player hunt.

Also kinda worried with recent rumours of Vermalean leaving. Who's there to replace the void.

Then again, if anyone can sort out Balotelli, its The Professor.

We've signed a German/Greek 15 year old midfielder from La Masia, Georgios Spanoudakis. We're also apparently giving a Serbian 17-year-old midfielder, Mladen Micanovic a trial with a view of making a full transfer. And speaking of Serbia, there's reports we're keen on Matija Nastasic from City.

That's disappointing, but I guess his thinking is that we've got an abundance of attacking midfielders and so he'll get limited first team opportunities.

Also, it's looking like the deal for Ospina could be done by the end of the week.

Last edited:
Phil Jones or Chris Smalling in player exchange for Vermalean to United, or we get Nastasic instead.

One option sounds like a step backwards whilst the other sounds sensible and working towards the next few seasons......... Hmmmm which one sounds better?

I think Eisfeld has to be registered, so there was no place for him in the squad. Keeping him in 21 would be stupid. We could have send him on loan but he had just one year left on the contract and I doubt he'd sing new one so this was the best deal for all parties, Fulham has player with potential, Eisfeld will get some time on the pitch and club has money, although probably just a few quid.

I saw eisfeld as a good midfielder but having not cracked the squad I doubt he would have amounted to much here. Maybe when he is 28 and epl experience we will look back and some will say we should kept him even though he has no room to grow here.

They should fine him until he doesn't have enough money for cigarettes. Shouldn't take long with current prices.

Seriously though, no excuse for that ****. There's plenty of safe alternatives to get your daily dose of Vitamin N.

In ridiculous news, Kike Marin wrote that Messi was considering a move to the Emirates in the week leading up to his signing a new contract. Marin says that Messi was consulting with Fabregas and that he was acting as some sort of go-between. Who made this guy a journalist?

We've signed a German/Greek 15 year old midfielder from La Masia, Georgios Spanoudakis. We're also apparently giving a Serbian 17-year-old midfielder, Mladen Micanovic a trial with a view of making a full transfer. And speaking of Serbia, there's reports we're keen on Matija Nastasic from City.

Good stuff, Jonker busying himself. Can't Nastasic happening tbh.

In ridiculous news, Kike Marin wrote that Messi was considering a move to the Emirates in the week leading up to his signing a new contract. Marin says that Messi was consulting with Fabregas and that he was acting as some sort of go-between. Who made this guy a journalist?

That guy was first with Monreal news if I remember right and also with Sanchez. Who knows. Fact still is buying him would be impossible.

That guy was first with Monreal news if I remember right and also with Sanchez. Who knows. Fact still is buying him would be impossible.

Oh. I didn't know that. Still a bit far-fetched in my opinion. Especially since there were no quotes or sources. And like you said, if there was even the smallest chance this was true it would have taken an astronomical fee.

Porto have said that Martinez will only be allowed to leave if a club meets his £32m buy-out clause. Personally I think he's worth it, but obviously I'm not part of the decision making process.

Loads of reports going around tonight saying we will sign Callum Chambers from Southampton for around 15m. Just reported on SSN as well.

Back