The Arsenal Thread

• Thread starter Thread starter Joss
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 21K
  • Views Views 2M
Some hilarious posts here. Welbeck was always rated by most ManUtd fans, it's the media and opposition fans who posted **** about him. Now he even gets credit for working hard which he never got when he was at United.

He wanted out from United as he was 3rd or 4th choice so he was sold. Good for him that he is getting chances as CF. He was always underrated by other fans.

Last edited:
Yes it was a poor miss and there has been more! You will also find many posts were I have praised Welbeck to the roof and not just in here either. Like I said was gutted when he left but not bothered now tbh, he no longer plays for us so why should I be? That does not mean I don't like him as a player, he has great qualities! As for him being a poor finisher I still stand by that, 1 game does not change my mind. Till he scores consisitently I will think the same, what if he does not score for the next 3-4 games? Happy he is doing well was not happy at Utd for 1-2 years. if HE PROVES ME WRONG AND SCORES REGULAR I WILL BE CHUFFED FOR THE LAD AND ARSENAL WILL HAVE A TOP CLASS STR!!!! 99% of other fans gave him **** calling him Babie on ice not most Utd fans.

Welbeck left United, no problem, he was a poor finisher. Lukaku left Chelsea, no problem, he has a **** attitude.
Mata left Chelsea, he didn't fit Jose's style. The list can go on.

The thing is, we all make excuses to justify the sale of a player. It's a part of being a fan of a club. You support if whether you agree with it's decisions or not. Didn't we say Mata was a good deal? But let's be honest now, how many of you wanted him gone?

My apologies for continuing the off topic discussion.

I am so happy for Welbz. Doesn't get a fair chance at United.
He didn't get fair chance? If you think as a striker, then you're right. However when you look at United strikers in past 5 years, you'll see why he was limited there.
Manager derides him as not being good enough.
Bollocks. LVG wanted him to stay, it's Welbeck who wanted to leave for himself, because he would be behind 3 strikers in United.
Fans continue targeting him as a poor finisher who will never be good up front.
He's relatively poor finisher, there's no secret in that. However he has very good movement off the ball to compensate that.
He let's his performances do the talking and shuts everyone up. England have a wonderful option at centre-forward if Welbeck keeps going like this.
I would ******* love for Welbeck to succeed at Arsenal as long as United is always one place above. Even without that, I'm happy when Welbz do well.

So far .... Welbeck 4 Falcao 0
Jesus Christ.

Some hilarious posts here. Welbeck was always rated by most ManUtd fans, it's the media and opposition fans who posted **** about him. Now he even gets credit for working hard which he never got when he was at United.

He wanted out from United as he was 3rd or 4th choice so he was sold. Good for him that he is getting chances as CF. He was always underrated by other fans.
Exactly. The same people who are knee jerking over him now were the ones say he wasn't good enough for England. This game he hit a hat trick, the last game he missed a hat trick of sitters. He needs to do it almost week in and out. That's his big flaw. And despite what Alcaraz is saying, that's what we've been saying for a good few years. We also said he needs to play week in and out up front. Like he did 3 seasons ago when played with Rooney.

And arsenal fans have been the worst with it over the years to be honest. We are not the ones who gave him the name bambi on legs. One game does not a finisher make. Anyone trying to be definitive over one game is being knee jerk. Using Alcarazs logic we'd have to define him as a terrible finisher permanently from the game before. Which isn't the case. Still back him to score 25.

And arsenal fans have been the worst with it over the years to be honest. We are not the ones who gave him the name bambi on legs. One game does not a finisher make. Anyone trying to be definitive over one game is being knee jerk. Using Alcarazs logic we'd have to define him as a terrible finisher permanently from the game before. Which isn't the case. Still back him to score 25.

Originally I objected to this, but I can see how a noisy amount of twitter/etc fans would be frustrated to see a player like Welbeck who seemed to be used almost in the Solskjær mould of excellent performances whenever he came off the bench, and mocking him and United when he was anything other than excellent.

His style certainly looks a bit ungainly at times (bit like Sanogo in a way), however last night is his first professional hat-trick and obviously it will give him a lot more confidence considering the quality of his finishing shows he has got it, he just needs to consistently bring that side of himself out and work on his concentration to achieve that.

More positively, Chamberlain, Alexis and Ozil all gave him an assist last night, and with Ozil more lively in that central role again I can see him loving the way Wenger has the side set up to get the best out of a runner. Walcott made some extremely positive contributions a similar way (and neither Walcott nor Welbeck are seen as top finishers), the important thing is they make the runs and work hard for the team.

Speaking personally regarding Welbeck, I didn't really think he was anything special, until he was brought into that CL game against Real Madrid where Ferguson dropped Rooney for Welbeck due to his dilligence and work rate. I'm sure a lot of neutrals paid attention to his performance in that game, and despite the dodgy finishing he was an outlet throughout. I'd like to believe if Ferguson shows him faith in such big games for working hard and offering an outlet where he can turn and run at players, that he will do very well with the amount of tricky forwards Wenger has at the moment to give him that supply to compliment that industry. Seemingly it's exactly what we needed when we have players like Ramsey and Walcott out alongside Giroud, leaving Sanogo a pale immitation of a premiership level forward.

I'm not getting into this ******* contest...

Welbeck offers Arsenal something different and something more than Giroud and I'm very excited about that.

I'll admit that like others I wasn't overjoyed with the fact that the best we got out of the summer window was Welbeck. However, after seeing that performance and watching him convert all three goals with confidence, if he can add more consistency to his game like Mike has been saying then I agree with him that Welbeck can score 20-25 goals easily.

Monreal might be back for tomorrow but I think Gibbs should keep his place, and Gnabry and Walcott start full training next week.

Mourinho needs to talk less because one of these days it will bite him back in the ***, I hope dearly it is today as it will make things a lot more interesting (league wise - at the top) if Arsenal win. Although I can't really see it sadly.

Mourinho needs to talk less because one of these days it will bite him back in the ***, I hope dearly it is today as it will make things a lot more interesting (league wise - at the top) if Arsenal win. Although I can't really see it sadly.
I would love for Arsenal to beat Chelsea, just not today coz then we will be in top 4 :)

Starting XI: Szczesny, Chambers, Mertesacker, Koscielny, Gibbs, Wilshere, Flamini, Cazorla, Ozil, Alexis, Welbeck
Subs: Martinez, Monreal, Coquelin, Rosicky, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Campbell, Podolski

There's always a few that let the rest of the fans down. For some reason some of our fans are setting off flares.

Back